CzarUltra

I realize nails are supposed to be abundant, but I feel the option to widdle your own improvised nails out of twigs or tree branches could be a useful feature for those who want to try and live in the woods without having to run back and forth from town all the time.thanks

I realize nails are supposed to be abundant, but I feel the option to widdle your own improvised nails out of twigs or tree branches could be a useful feature for those who want to try and live in the woods without having to run back and forth from town all the time.thanks

Here's a mod for you: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1091-handmade-wooden-dowels-realistic-nails-alternative

:)

Hm. I don't think trying to pound a nail made from wood into wood would work very well. Maybe a skill to make nails from scrap metal would be nice. Better yet, I'd like to see the use of screws more.

You'll be surprised by what a good carpenter/wood carver can do with wood planks & logs. In fact, with a "nail made of wood" properly carved, hammered into a thin hole you can build furniture that are maybe more resistant than furnitures made of nails.

Example of how it works on the shemas below :

1425465264-dowels.png

I'll put higher trust in a stairs made with dowels than stairs made with common nails to resist over time  ;-)

I feel that nails should be rare not abundant, they seem like one of the first things i'd grab in a zombie apocalypse.

If nails had to be rare it wouldn't be realistic at all, ''Just because you think you would grab nails as first object'' in zombie apocalypse that it should.

I don't know for you, but if a zombie apocalypse had to happen, I don't think nails is going to save my life as it is. I would feel a lot more safer with a crowbar or a lumber axe.

Hm. I don't think trying to pound a nail made from wood into wood would work very well. Maybe a skill to make nails from scrap metal would be nice. Better yet, I'd like to see the use of screws more.

You'll be surprised by what a good carpenter/wood carver can do with wood planks & logs. In fact, with a "nail made of wood" properly carved, hammered into a thin hole you can build furniture that are maybe more resistant than furnitures made of nails.

Example of how it works on the shemas below :

1425465264-dowels.png

I'll put higher trust in a stairs made with dowels than stairs made with common nails to resist over time  ;-)

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... Well now if someone had posted this in the first place I wouldn't have been thinking of taking a twig and smashing it into a board a million times. This would be high level carpentry imo. You'd have to have a way to drill the holes to the specified size (without the use of power tools, unless you have a generator and all the gas to run it... and the soundproof room...) and wittle the dowels down to the exact size too. I think it's a great idea though!

Upon further research, with the use of power tools (again generator probably needed) you can make other non-nailed joints. I think this would give the wood glue a lot more use in the game if implemented.

Come to think of it.... I think even sawing a plank would take a great deal of precision and know how...... and baldspot always makes them so perfectly rectangular...

These are pictures from my grand father's house and I have worked with the carpenters and they were doing theses thin holes with drills but also with screwdivers and specific wood carving tools, their worked inspired me to do this mod :

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1091-handmade-wooden-dowels-realistic-nails-alternative/

(all recipes are +2 / +4 carpentry levels harder and demand twice more dowels than for nails recipe and take a bunch of time to craft)

But of course it would have been better if I managed to add drills to the mod... But it's kinda complicated.  :???:

These are pictures from my grand father's house and I have worked with the carpenters and they were doing theses thin holes with drills but also with screwdivers and specific wood carving tools, their worked inspired me to do this mod :

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1091-handmade-wooden-dowels-realistic-nails-alternative/

(all recipes are +2 / +4 carpentry levels harder and demand twice more dowels than for nails recipe and take a bunch of time to craft)

But of course it would have been better if I managed to add drills to the mod... But it's kinda complicated.  :???:

Neat! Drills wouldn't be much use later in the game after the power went out, since there's no generators. Also gas would be hard to come by. Honestly I think for the sake of using power tools, using drills would be a megalate game thing to do.