Project Zomboid is a shining example of early access done right

aperture_tech

I gotta say, this game is really fantastic.

I bought this game on a whim for $10.00 sometime in 2013. Now, I normally don't purchase early access games on a whim after what happened with Minecraft, mostly because of the risk involved. I am so happy I made this drunken purchase, because Zomboid, in its incomplete state, accomplishes far more than many games that are "complete". Not only that, but you guys also put out updates on a regular basis, while actually taking time to interact with the community. Even if you all stopped making updates, and just said "fuck it", the game would still be playable! Now, I would really hope you wouldn't do this, especially with all the work you put into it so far, but that still speaks volumes for the work done so far.

I am incredibly impressed with this game, its moddability, its community, and its developers. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, but honestly, it is hard to not sound like one when an early access game is this good. Hell, you did more than just convince me that early access can work, you also restored my faith in the zombie survival genre.

The industry could use more developers like The Indie Stone. Keep up the good work.

If you are on the fence about this game and researching it, strongly consider buying it as opposed to some other early access game. Chances are, it will never even reach the point Project Zomboid is at, even if the devs of that game slap a 1.0 down as the version number.

I agree with everything said so far.  I was so leery of early access games, especially after the high-profile drama surrounding a lot of them and... ugh.  Some developers are serious assholes.  But I figured that it sounded like the kind of zombie survival game and I took a chance on it.  And yes, it's everything I expect from the genre, and from an early access title.  AND MORE.  You guys are cool. :D

Much as I love the enthusiasm in the first post I have to disagree. Not with the game being fantastic but your analysis of Indiestone.

The reason I love this game and the devs that made it are that they are probably the most resilient video game company currently in existence. They have weathered so many disasters that I think any video game documentary should really focus on them rather than pro-gamers or that Fez guy (who much as I like his game seems to me to be a professional target for bullies).

I will list below the storm of poop that has fallen on Indiestone and the myriad of problems that they have overcome which would have overwhelmed smaller companies.

The piracy that was actually costing them money - remember the leaked version that contained an auto-update button that allowed pirates to update the game from a rented server costing Indiestone money each time it was done? 

The Theft - they were broken into and had two laptops stolen just as they were about to release the latest version. They had no back-ups and were pushed back several months. Oh and at this time Lemmy got drunk and started shouting at trolling twats on Twitter which really didn't help (but was hilarious).

Google Checkout and Paypal not understanding Early Access and freezing their account.

Myriad of community problems

In short what I found impressive about them was that they pioneered early access gaming for indies basically making every single conceivable error that a small indie studio could make whilst making the game that they wanted to make and that game is pretty fun. Its their resilience and ability to learn from mistakes that I find is truly impressive.

Oh and to top it off they are nice people too (except for being from Newcastle and Canada but nobodies perfect). 

Yeah, this game is amazing. And the developers actually interact with us on a human level, not trough "community managers" who cannot say anything relevant. And the fact that they actually use mods in the core game just shows how much openness there is.

It is one of my most favorite games ever - and I play a lot of videogames (too much according to my GF).

I did a quick check on my steam (+30 games), and there are only 2 games that I have more gameplay time on:

Skyrim (174 hours)

Civilisation V (156 hours)

Zomboid (154 hours)

So basically, only 2 major AAA games have (slightly) some more gameplay time.

And the thing is, I am not even that into zombie games, this is the only "zombie" game I have.

So not even loving the genre - doesn't matter, this game is just that good.

I did start watching the Walking Dead recently, because of the influence of Zomboid.

I must be hooked bad then lol 629 hours played and I start playing October of 2014 :)

They'll be more, trust me

oh yes, now you are addicted. before you know it, you too will be over 1,000 hours.

and you will have enjoyed 98% of them...minus the times that you did something stupid and died

I have more hours on pz, bought it about a month ago, then dayz, bought that a year and a month ago.

Also 7d2d is another very successful early access.

Space Engineers is another one that is good in my eyes, their Xbox One release announcement does not bother me in the slightest, they have shown they can work consistently.

On the other hand, DayZ's PS4 release announcement pissed me off, they won't be able to handle it, at all. Hell, I doubt the PS4 can even handle that engine.

Oh and at this time Lemmy got drunk and started shouting at trolling twats on Twitter which really didn't help (but was hilarious).

Sounds funny, do you have any links to him and his drunk twitter escapades?

Please no ;) If you want to look elsewhere I'm sure google will make it easy, just leave it out of this forum pls :)