How to kill a thousand zombies with one item.

Sickle

Well if you don't really need xp anymore (as I only traveled from Muldraugh to West Point to find a book on expert farming) then just make a campfire then sit back as the zombies spread it among them selves. If you have a gun it's even easier. Basically just run in circles.

Dunno if anyone posted this yet, but I had to. It's so cool. The zeds died so quickly I can only take pictures of their ashes.

You can also win the Last Stand challange, just burn the forest.

MexepaL.jpg

I REALLY don't like fire in this game

For Zombies... they're zombies... if you try to burn them then you just end up with flaming zombies... an even bigger problem then regular zombies.

If burned, a zombie's skin and muscles may get completely charred(and once eating away all the surface flammable material, then proceed to burn itself out), but even that shouldn't kill them, only destroying, a technically brain dead, reanimated brain works.

If fire starts in a closed room, then the smoke and fire should -- eventually -- use up all the oxygen and smother itself out. Eating through a wall seems extremely unlikely

And don't even get me started on fire burning on bricks, snow, and even snow

I don't like fire too, it's extremely unrealistic in the way it works. It spreads too randomly without any rules, everything is flammable, except not. Sometimes I try to burn a 4x4 pile of corpses only to see that one tile of corpses got burned, fire is everywhere but it didn't touch what was next to it's point of origin, it just jumped around at complete random, on asphalt I might add. 

And did I mention that rain can put out indoor fires?

The "Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks states:

'The living dead have no fear of fire. Waving an open flame in a ghoul's face will do nothing to slow or impede its advance. Zombies who have caught fire will neither notice nor react to the engulfing flames in any way. Too many humans have met with tragedy for failing to understand that fire is no deterrent to zombies!

As a weapon, however, fire is still humanity's greatest ally. Complete incineration is the best way to destroy a zombie once and for all. Burning eliminates not only the body but all traces of Solanum. However, don't think a flamethrower and several Molotov cocktails are the solution to all your problems. In actual combat, fire can be as deadly a threat as it is a protector.

Flesh-human, undead, or otherwise- takes a long time to burn. In the minutes or hours before a blazing zombie succombs, it will become a walking - or to be perfectly accurate, a shambling - torch. Several cases have been recorded in which burning ghouls have done more damage, even caused more deaths, than they would have with only their fingernails and teeth.

Fire itself has no loyalty. Consider the flammable nature of your surroundings, the chance of smoke inhalation, the possibility that a blaze will act as a beacon for other zombies. All these factors must be considered before such a powerful and unpredictable weapon is unleashed.

For this reason, fire is mainly considered an attack or flight weapon, and rarely used for static defense.'

With that being said above I do have a number of gripes with the fire system in game. I have been vocal on these forums already on the issue, but I will summarize my gripes here:

Pros:

• Super effective zombie killer. Arguably OP, but I am ok with fire being effective, because it is. I do like that you are not awarded XP or kills for using it. I think that is a nice way of balancing out its effectiveness.
  • Fire is unpredictable; as it largely should be. (Some generalizations can be made IRL to fire being predictable, like it not spreading on gravel/concrete, that trees and tall grass will burn, that wooden walls won't fair well, etc. But it should remain for the most part unpredictable. If it wasn't unpredictable it would be WAY too OP).

Cons:

• There is no way to extinguish fire other than rain, which can (as previously stated) put indoor fires out.
  • Fire spreads to tiles that normally would not burn (pavement, concrete, wire fences, glass railings, etc).
  • Fire does NOT burn tiles that it should (Trees primarily). However, it will spread to those tiles. It just won't destroy anything.

To clean fire up in game IMO, there needs to be a trait to a tile on whether or not it is flammable. And fire will only spread (on its own) to other adjacent flammable tiles. We also need a way to extinguish or combat fire. Rain from the sky puts out fire, but me pouring a bucket of water on the ground on a tile that is on fire, does nothing.

Some things should be flammable that aren't, and some things that are flammable shouldn't be. That and we need to combat it somehow. Water, dirt, sand, wet towels, digging fire lines, etc.

As a side note, it would be super cool to see smoke inhalation be a thing. Sure you can run loops around your giant zombie inferno, but what happens when you pass out from smoke inhalation? I would guess that burning zombies does not put off a nice light gray wood fire smoke. I am guessing it would be a terribly caustic black cloud...

It makes sense for fire to kill zombies. The fire burns their brains, killen em

Have you ever had a family member cremated?

People aren't made of paper mache, it takes a LONG time at VERY high temperatures to cremate someone

The fire would never pass through the skull.

I would post some pics here to prove it... but I'd likely get banded, so I wont :)

I expect fire will be revamped at some point. I agree with Jsnazz, zombies should extinguish campfires 95% of the time. I think zombies would be very difficult to set aflame. They are putrid rotting corpses out in the rain and snow. They'd probably have a glistening sheen of goo all over like you find on rotting fruit in the back of your fridge.

A fire pit trap could be something you construct but it should require a lot of resources and time to build.

For Zombies... they're zombies... if you try to burn them then you just end up with flaming zombies... an even bigger problem then regular zombies.

If burned, a zombie's skin and muscles may get completely charred(and once eating away all the surface flammable material, then proceed to burn itself out), but even that shouldn't kill them, only destroying, a technically brain dead, reanimated brain works.

If fire starts in a closed room, then the smoke and fire should -- eventually -- use up all the oxygen and smother itself out. Eating through a wall seems extremely unlikely

Look even  the idea of zombies relies heavily on us to turn off the scientifically critical part of our brain. When you die (assume mdeics can't revive you, and you are pronounced dead) your cells start to deteriorate immediately neurons are especially prone to this, that's why you get vegetable people most of the time, even if they revive them relatively quickly. Even those who have almost the same cognitive functions, have some difficulties (for example controlling limbs).

Now we have zombies that can magically somehow reanimate after death. We suspend disbelief for the sake of fun for the fact of this reanimation (we don't question it, and don'§t care how it happened). However even this way there are problems. Muscles for eaxmple.

Muscles need a couple things beside neurons to work, so zombies must have a fully functioning nervous system. If we agree that zombies slowly decompose, then their "working" nervous system is even more vulnerable then ours.

Muscles also generate heat and the body needs to vent this heat somehow. I don't think zombies can sweat properly.

And the list goes on. If you think it is unrealistic that fire can kill these frail creatures that barely have the muscle mass to even move, then everything in this game is unrealistic.

If you want the game harder, then wish for hungry grizzlies in the spring, or cannibalistic survivors with shotguns.

Simple fix: more than 1 zombie stepping on your camp fire = auto distinguish it xD

I expect fire will be revamped at some point. I agree with Jsnazz, zombies should extinguish campfires 95% of the time. I think zombies would be very difficult to set aflame. They are putrid rotting corpses out in the rain and snow. They'd probably have a glistening sheen of goo all over like you find on rotting fruit in the back of your fridge.

A fire pit trap could be something you construct but it should require a lot of resources and time to build.

Until we have traps, fire is a good way to kill zombies in an emergency. Keep in mind, this way you don't get any xp, so people won't use it very often.

Human fat can burn pertty well. If zombies are that putrid, they should dissolve in too much water. Dry corpses can catch fire better than wood, people used mummies instead of firewood in cases some cases. Zombies are in between, they are not invincible, and shouldn't be.

Until the game makers come up with some more difficult enemies (maybe small bosses), we should't handicap the game because of our own, subjective gameplays and opinions.

In sandbox, set the zombie counter to maximum, make the super fast, strong and materials to rare (basically everything against you). I will guarantee that you won't have the time to light that campfire in the middle of the road, or if you do the burning running zombies will set you aflame too (they live long enough to do that).

Anyway, I think fire is well balanced compared to past versions.

P.S.:

Regarding the spreading the fire, you object to farging on the basis that there is no graphical features to indicate that the foraging materials exist.

In this light, we don't know if anything flammable material is on the concrate or brick wall, and the game has no sprites or anything to show us larger fires, fires that can bridge over concrate roads pretty easily in real life, you don't need a firestorm to do that.

Look even  the idea of zombies relies heavily on us to turn off the scientifically critical part of our brain. When you die (assume mdeics can't revive you, and you are pronounced dead) your cells start to deteriorate immediately neurons are especially prone to this, that's why you get vegetable people most of the time, even if they revive them relatively quickly. Even those who have almost the same cognitive functions, have some difficulties (for example controlling limbs).

Now we have zombies that can magically somehow reanimate after death. We suspend disbelief for the sake of fun for the fact of this reanimation (we don't question it, and don'§t care how it happened). However even this way there are problems. Muscles for eaxmple.

Muscles need a couple things beside neurons to work, so zombies must have a fully functioning nervous system. If we agree that zombies slowly decompose, then their "working" nervous system is even more vulnerable then ours.

Muscles also generate heat and the body needs to vent this heat somehow. I don't think zombies can sweat properly.

And the list goes on. If you think it is unrealistic that fire can kill these frail creatures that barely have the muscle mass to even move, then everything in this game is unrealistic.

If you want the game harder, then wish for hungry grizzlies in the spring, or cannibalistic survivors with shotguns.

Simple fix: more than 1 zombie stepping on your camp fire = auto distinguish it xD

Until we have traps, fire is a good way to kill zombies in an emergency. Keep in mind, this way you don't get any xp, so people won't use it very often.

Human fat can burn pertty well. If zombies are that putrid, they should dissolve in too much water. Dry corpses can catch fire better than wood, people used mummies instead of firewood in cases some cases. Zombies are in between, they are not invincible, and shouldn't be.

Until the game makers come up with some more difficult enemies (maybe small bosses), we should't handicap the game because of our own, subjective gameplays and opinions.

In sandbox, set the zombie counter to maximum, make the super fast, strong and materials to rare (basically everything against you). I will guarantee that you won't have the time to light that campfire in the middle of the road, or if you do the burning running zombies will set you aflame too (they live long enough to do that).

Anyway, I think fire is well balanced compared to past versions.

P.S.:

Regarding the spreading the fire, you object to farging on the basis that there is no graphical features to indicate that the foraging materials exist.

In this light, we don't know if anything flammable material is on the concrate or brick wall, and the game has no sprites or anything to show us larger fires, fires that can bridge over concrate roads pretty easily in real life, you don't need a firestorm to do that.

The function and over all idea if the monster termed 'Zombie' is generally 'reanimated dead tissue', its dead but it works, its a simple idea.

I'm not advocating something unfun to be added to the game for the sake of realism, I'm just making a valid point here.

And, I swear, I'm not trying to be rude, but if you want a game where zombies are just dead things that shuffle every now and then and are just entertaining things to hack to pieces(and burn in mass for no real reason), then perhaps a dead rising game might be more your speed.

What about decreasing a player's ability to avoid fire by making the fire more 'dense' so there were less gaps that a player could squeeze through to escape? Making the use of fire more dangerous to the player, leaving them less 'outs'.

Also make the zombies harder to catch on fire, but when they do, make them burn for a lot longer before dying.

These two adjustments would make using fire much more dangerous.

At the moment pretty much everyone who is experienced on multiplayer uses campfires to wipe out the zombie menace outside their bases. I'd rather the zombies just catch onfire and not die and risk burning the player.

This brings me to the question how secure a campfire inside my base is? I never dared to build up one, because I fear that it might get out of control, burning down everything I created so far. Does a campfire also spread randomly? Is there anything I should consider before lighting it up?

I see most people leave a hole in their roof for smoke to escape and I often see sand placed around campfires, but cooking and camping isn't my specialty I mostly just use it as a combat support device / hilarious death trap for when people log out when you are shooting at them.

I see most people leave a hole in their roof for smoke to escape and I often see sand placed around campfires, but cooking and camping isn't my specialty I mostly just use it as a combat support device / hilarious death trap for when people log out when you are shooting at them.

maybe we should use this same trap on you when you combat log :)

I'd say a good o'l wolf hole would be far better as a zombie trap. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trou_de_loup

I never realised that this was called a wolf hole. The description got grim towards the end. As if landing a big spike wasn't bad enough, "Sometimes rotting meat or feces would be smeared onto the points to cause serious infection and quite often death."

That would be an awesome addition. Being able to build wolf holes, but also having to treat infection if you land on a shitty stick.

A camp fire, nor a molotov will ever burn so much zombies, or make so much damages.

Its totally unrealistic. If you throw a molotov it will make a blast of flames, some zombies may get splashed with oil and start burning, but all those around will just walk and go safe.

A walking dead who walk thro a campfire may be wounded, if we can say that, but he will not turn instantly into a torch, unless he hang on it for a while...a long while...

Fire is extremely effective currently, and its in my opinion OP.

But yet, a molotov will do severe damage on wooden structures and burn out a shelter. With that, I agree. But that also my main purpose with fire...

Somebody with bad intention, find your safehouse, and just to fuck up your work for its own pleasure, he drop one or two molotov...ahahaha fire, its funy!!

Oh, you were offline? Oh well, and if you were online, what would be the difference? Your work is fucked up, and maybe your even dead.

Oh you had level 5 running and farming...oh well, start over.

Also that makes people to build in the forest and almost never be visible in towns. Ok thats also part of the game, but in any case, either you build your safe place in town or outside of the town, you should have some assurance of not seeing it burned "just for fun".

Ok its part of game, but that fire may have reason of many players playing multi.

I have some idea to prevent seeing our safehouse going into flames because of some idiots, or a group of them. I will looks if its been posted and if not, i will drop it into suggestions...