Extended Building Options

SiderisAnon

Call it a linguistic difficulty ^-^

Hum I think I'm dumb... I downloaded it and unziped it in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\mods aaaaaand it's not showing when I load the game.  Same with zipped version. :blush:

Uh oh, it seems like someone didn't read the manual agaaain! http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1395-how-to-install-uninstall-mods/

Uhm call it a linguistic error as I speak French. :oops: C:\Users\Utilisateur\Zomboid\mods  ... No results, there's something I must not understand.

Did you unpack it? (take it out of the zip/rar)

Uhm no I read it had to be zipped (unless I misunderstood )

No, you have to unzip it :)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\mods aaaaaand it's not showing when I load the game.  Same with zipped version. :blush:

Uh oh, it seems like someone didn't read the manual agaaain! http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/1395-how-to-install-uninstall-mods/

Uhm call it a linguistic error as I speak French. :oops: C:\Users\Utilisateur\Zomboid\mods  ... No results, there's something I must not understand.

Ok I unziped it, restarted the pc, still nothing :???:

Your folder hierarchy should look like this:

C:\Users\Utilisateur\Zomboid\mods\JPM-ExtendedBuildingOptions\<bunchoffiles>

Your folder hierarchy should look like this:

C:\Users\Utilisateur\Zomboid\mods\JPM-ExtendedBuildingOptions\<bunchoffiles>

Wow I just had the dumbest moment EVER, turns out I had to put the folder JPM out of the main folder...How silly is that?! Anyways, thank you SO MUCH for your patience and helps. -gives you cookies-

LEARN HOW TO -SNIP- PEOPLE!

If by what you said you mean that you took the "media" folder out of JPM folder and placed it in PZ install directory, you did it wrong, the mod will disappear with the next update/cache validation.

You need to put mods (In this case, JPM folder with all the stuff in it) in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Zomboid\mods

YOURUSERNAME is typically the same name that your Windows Profile has.

If you can't find the folder just copy the thing below, paste it into any windows address bar and press enter

C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Zomboid\mods

SCREENSHOT

uRmqdOy.png?1

That's where mods go. 

• 1 month later...

Extended Building Options

Welcome to the Extended Building Options mod forum thread. This mod came into being because I am the type of person who loves to have more things to build in any sandbox game I play. When I looked for existing mods that would allow this, the ones I found were not working because update 30 had changed how world objects are built, breaking those mods.

I sat down to learn about Project Zomboid modding and to try and get one of those mods working for my own play. In doing so, I discovered that it would in many ways be more interesting to simply create a building mod from scratch. As I both put a lot of work into this mod and figured that other players would enjoy having more building options, I decided to share this mod with the Project Zomboid community.

This mod is inspired by the "Building Mod Reloaded" mod by Gaunti12, which was in turn based on the "Building Mod" mod by Badtrix. I have added additional buildable objects to what those mods provided; not all of their objects were included. Some of my inspiration and education also came from the "Handmade Wooden Dowels" mod by Onkeen.

The metal and metal scraps concepts are taken from "Building Mod Reloaded". Their implementation here is my own. The components for the two mods are not compatible with each other.

The "Building Mod" had digging for clay. My clay and brick are not compatible with whatever was produced by that mod. (I never looked closely, so I am unsure whether that mod produced bricks or how.)

This mod would have been impossible without the tile splitting ability of the UnPacker utility from the Project Zomboid forum.

Current Download

April 9, 2015: Extended Building Options mod version 1.4 for Project Zomboid version 31.10.

Update History:

Update: Extended Building Options v1.4

April 9, 2015: Extended Building Options mod version 1.4 for Project Zomboid version 31.10.

• Updated the mod to work with the underlying recipe code changes in Project Zomboid v31, which had caused some of this mod's recipes to not work properly.
  • Adjusted brick shaping and un-shaping so that crafting experience is not gained.
  • Adjusted putting pieces of metal into a pan and taking them out again so that crafting experience is not gained.
  • Adjusted sawing branches into twigs so that this generates the same experience as sawing logs for planks.
Update: Extended Building Options v1.3

March 28, 2015: Extended Building Options mod version 1.3 for Project Zomboid version 31.10.

• Accidentially left the cheat/debug mode on in version 1.2. Fixed this.
Update: Extended Building Options v1.2

March 27, 2015: Extended Building Options mod version 1.2 for Project Zomboid version 31.10.

• Added log wall post and fence post that match the default Project Zomboid wall/fence. Look under Other -> Missing PZ Corners.
  • New inventory item art provided to me by Svarog and Onkeen.
  • Change the Carpentry values to be more in line with Release 31.
  • Updated door creation code to use the new key-assigned doorknobs.
  • Keys and locks were intentionally left not able to be scrapped. (At least for now.)
  • Removed "Dark Brown Wooden Stairs" and "Medium Brown Wooden Stairs" as these are now part of the base Project Zomboid construction options.
  • Added tin cans to the new Canned Carrots, Canned Corn, Canned Corned Beef, Canned Mushroom Soup, Canned Peas, Canned Potato, Canned Sardines, and Canned Tomato. This does not affect any vegetables you can 'can' with a jar and vinegar.
Update: Extended Building Options v1.1

February 20, 2015: Extended Building Options mod version 1.1 for Project Zomboid version 30.16.

• Corrected the wrong required materials were being shown in the tooltip for beds, chairs, and couches.
  • Added a nicer images for tin cans, both with and without water.
Update: Extended Building Options v1.0

February 16, 2015: Extended Building Options mod version 1.00 for Project Zomboid version 30.16.

• Initial release.

What You Can Build

This mod includes walls, floors, containers, tables, chairs, beds, light posts, and a variety of decorative elements. The current full menu listing is in the spoiler block below.

The list is pretty extensive because I went a little crazy in adding lots of buildable items into the game. When it came to floors, I probably went too far, but I was trying to see just how many different floor types could be added.

I used the base Project Zomboid files for anything that was built, so they will interact with the world just like any normal object. They can also be deconstructed just like any of the default items you can build.

Screenshots Can Be Found Here

Extended Building Options	Architecture		Wall Styles			Light Brown Wood			Dark Brown Wood			Gray Plaster			Gray Wood			Red Barnwood			White Plaster			White Wood			Brown Cinderblock			Gray Cinderblock			White Cinderblock			Red Brick		Doors			Wooden Doors			Panel Doors			Industrial Doors			Exterior Doors			Other Doors		More Fences		More Fence Posts		Stairs		Floors			Location Carpets			General Carpets 1			General Carpets 2			Metal			Stone			Roofing Styles			Location Tiles			Interior Tiles 1			Interior Tiles 2			Interior Tiles 3			Exterior Tiles			Wooden Flooring			Other			Industrial	Furniture		Small Tables		Large Tables		Chairs			Benches			Wooden Chairs			Simple Chairs			Padded Chairs			Upholstered Chairs			Stools		Couches			Front Side Views			Back Side Views		Beds	Containers		Dressers		Counter Elements		Other Furniture		Metal Lockers		Crates		Improvised		Trash Cans	Decorations		Roadway		Signs		Wall Hangings			Restaurant			Medical			Movie			Papers			Paintings			Other	Other		Flower Beds		Light Posts		Missing PZ Corners

Getting Started In Game

Depending on what you want to build, you will need some kind of a tool. Wood requires a hammer or stone hammer, metal a screwdriver, and brick a masonry trowel.

I primarily based the materials required on the objects you can already build in Project Zomboid. For most things, you need planks and nails. For metal objects, you will need metal plates and screws. For stone objects, brick and clay. Wall hangings are generally a piece of paper and a nail.

Just use a right-click like you would for normal building. The menu will be called "Extended Building Options".

New Items Added

• Small Piece of Metal: Created by hammering various metal items.
  • Sheet of Metal: Found in the world or crafted from metal pieces.
  • Empty Can: When you empty a can of food or soda can. Fill it with water or hammer it into metal pieces.
  • Masonry Trowel: Found in the world or crafted from a gardening trowel.
  • Lump of Clay: Dug up from sand or gravel. Shovel required.
  • Raw Brick: Shaped from Clay.
  • Brick: Bake a raw brick.

New Recipes Added

Many in-game items can be hammered into metal pieces. Put twenty metal pieces in a baking pan or roasting pan, cook it, and you end up with a metal sheet.

You can hammer a standard trowel out flat into a masonry trowel.

With a shovel, you can dig in sand or gravel to find clay. Shape the clay into a brick. Cook the raw brick to get a brick you can use to build. As long as the brick is still "raw", it can be shaped back into clay.

In case you want a lot of flower beds, you can now cut tree branches into twigs with a saw.

Things To Keep In Mind

• Some objects can be rotated to change their appearance. This should be noted at the bottom of that object's tooltip.
  • You can mix and match wall styles however you want.
  • Same with fences.
  • Fences can be jumped over and will not stop zombies; they work just like the fences you can build in the default game.
  • Any door frame section can hold any door.
  • All of the floors work identically. Even if it is called "carpet", it will support your weight or keep the rain out. You do not need to build a wooden floor and then lay carpet over it.
  • The flower beds are also floors. Yes, you can build an upper story out of them and walk around on your flower garden.
  • Everything in the "containers" menu holds the normal inventory size of fifty.
  • I figured out how to give the containers icons other than the default crate, so that should make mass storage a bit more interesting.
  • The "Mini Fridge" is buildable for humor value. It functions as a container, but do not expect it to keep your food cold even if I did give it the refrigerator icon.
  • You can sleep in the beds, couches, and chairs as normal.
  • The "Wall Hangings" must be placed against a wall.
  • The "Light Posts" work just like the current lamp on a pillar you can build; mine just look nicer. You will need a flashlight to build them.

Object Stength

Game objects start with a base health, then add 50 health per point of Carpentry. The Handy trait adds 100 health. This allows for a maximum health amount of [base] + ((Carpentry * 50) + Handy.

• Stone walls (300 base) are stronger than a plank wall (100 base), but not as strong as a log wall (400 base).
  • Metal walls are just as strong as a log wall.
  • Fences and posts are technically walls in Project Zomboid. There are no metal "walls" in the mod, but there are metal "fences".
  • Metal stairs are the same strength as the wooden ones.
  • Stone Containers (200 base) are stronger than wooden ones (100 base).
  • Metal containers, including the lockers, are much stronger (400 base).
  • Wall decorations have very little health (40 base, no bonus for Carpentry).

Some Side Notes

I have tried to comment the code enough so that others can learn from my mod as I have from previous mods. I have also done this in case at some point another programmer has to update this mod for a later version of Project Zomboid. Hopefully I did not go so far in my explanations that the code becomes unreadable.

If you want to run testing on this mod, uncomment the "ISBuildMenu.cheat = true;" line in "EBOBuildMenu.lua". This will allow you to build any item in the mod without tools or materials. It will also allow you to build the base Project Zomboid buildable objects without tools or materials as well.

Artwork

The item sprites I am using were provided by Svarog and Onkeen, some of which are based off of sprites already in Project Zomboid. These look much better than what I was originally using. Thank you!

Future Plans

Currently, my workload is a bit high, so I am not going to make any promises on additions to the mod for a bit. I will monitor this thread so I can fix any bugs that crop up.

I do still have a list of things I want to do, just not the time allocation currently.

I can say that things like generators or solar panels for refrigerators and lights are not going to happen because they are outside the scope of this mod. Working stoves have also been requested, but I know another modder stated they were working on those, so I do not have any plans to dig into that code and will leave it to other minds than mine.

Feedback

I would appreciate feedback on the mod, how it plays, whether you think the material and Carpentry requirements are reasonable, and how it works in your game.

If you find any bugs, please let me know.

Also please let me know if any tooltips need to be changed; by now they all kind of blur together for me.

Credit

Credit Where Credit Is Due

MODS_02.png

Can you add translation support?

I would like to add other languages to the translation, but only through the LUA script

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

i got a problem with this mod! I am not able to dig fpr clay or make the masonary trowel from he standard trowel.

I'm playing Build 33.20 maybe thats the reason? does it work for somebody with this game version?

Edit:

ok i found out i can only dig fpr clay on sand and gravel, so this works fine!

But i still dont know how to craft the masonary trowel, the crafting window shows that i only need a hammer a sledge hammer or a stone hammer to craft it, but there should be listet a trowel too, dosen't  it? Hoever i have a trowel and a hammer but i can not craftthe masonary trowel......please help!

New problem! I can not bake bricks, i even have no opion for it......

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/21/2016 at 1:54 PM, Hicks said:

I noticed the fence parts have no collision which can be annoying when not on the ground floor.

I'm working to recreate this mod, and some fences are bugged from the core game, I had this problem with a white one, and switched textures to the normal wood one and it has collision.

So for some textures the collision works(colored) and for others(mostly white) no.

• 3 months later...

hey guys, love this mod!

Just a quick question - do we need metalworking skill to create metal sheets? I cant find any of them in the world? Also, how does glassworking work? 

And something a bit offtopic / I always thought zombies cant destroy wooden walls, only doors/windows, maybe something that was way back in old builds.. Does plastering a regular, vanilla PZ wall make it indestructible to zombies?