Doors and windows shaking slightly, when pounded.

Fortport

Just an idea! Sometimes I'm confused in the immediate moment I hear a thump, but this thread's mainly here because I recently noticed the "deaf" trait being discussed. It should be really subtle, so that you have to pay extra attention to notice it.

I think a deaf person would be more observant, but that's kind of irrelevant. This is just about doors and windows budging slightly when hit by zombies. Heck, windows could even begin to crack as they lose their durability.

Discuss?

The main problem is that doors and windows are tiles, not rendered 3D objects. I'm not saying it's not doable, but would probably require significant engine modifications from my understanding. I'm not necessarily against the idea, just not sure that it'd be worth the time it would take.

The main problem is that doors and windows are tiles, not rendered 3D objects. I'm not saying it's not doable, but would probably require significant engine modifications from my understanding. I'm not necessarily against the idea, just not sure that it'd be worth the time it would take.

I actually think it is for a couple reasons. I'm thinking back to the deaf person example/scenario. In a deaf playthough, you could be currently stripping away a lot more than hearing zombies close by. A deaf person in a room can't hear stuff happening on other floors or outside, so they'll be surprised to find out that an army of zombies just barged in through their bedroom door without any forewarning.

Wouldn't it just make it a little bit easier to manage, by adding this function? They can only see what's happening, instead of hearing everything around them outside. The element of surprise is still there, but it's a little more balanced and believable with this idea, I guess? They have to be awake, walking around, and paying even more attention than a person who can hear. It could be reflected in how they check on the house they're in, as well as constantly looking behind them while exploring.

But that's just my brainstorming. Maybe I made it a little bit more tempting. Aside from that, there's the ability to check up on barricades. You really can never know how broken your primary front of planks are, until they're gone. 

Doors and windows could shake/shatter faster depending on how many zombies are hitting it. This way, you would know where you should focus your attention. Front door's shaking very little, back door's going crazy.

Pounding is everywhere, presently, so you wouldn't really know where they're at otherwise unless you looked through windows! Which you may have barricaded, by now..  Bottom line is, it could make defense more manageable, possibly, when dealing with many zombies hitting things everywhere. Like in Last Stand.

As for how it's rendered, it could instead just be the icon jittering a little. That is, the door on the tile? In a 2D way. THE BEST WAY I can have you visualize this, is by thinking of Starbound. Say you're breaking something, right, and it jitters more and more erratically until exploding into an item. Exactly how I picture this, except with different sounds and stuff. Instead of going crazy, it jerks in one direction every time it's hit, before being moved back into its original position.

Maybe the jerks could gradually get stronger depending on how durable it is at the time it's whacked, simulating it giving in to force. A little simple animation, if I got this right in my head; all you're doing is moving the icon a certain amount out before regressing it back to the default position. With some more effort, the door could be animated bending out or denting whenever whacked. Sort of like a health bar degrading its appearance on top of things.

I know this is a lot of information, but try to take it in chunks: to anyone who might have the patience to read this.

Personally, I don't think this is a necessary addition. When taking the deaf trait, people should be aware of its consequences and accept the fact they need to be more vigilant. In real life, a window frame shouldn't move when you bang on the glass pane.

In my opinion, if this was to be included it should come way down the pipeline once NPCs, vehicles, stealth, hunting, different clothes, wearable bags and all the other things the devs mentioned have been added.

Generally speaking, the tempered glass in most windows (aside from cars and such) doesn't crack when blunt trauma is applied- it just shatters. Stuff like temp changes or shearing force might crack it, but not banging on it. Only visual que would e when the hands come through.

Generally speaking, the tempered glass in most windows (aside from cars and such) doesn't crack when blunt trauma is applied- it just shatters. Stuff like temp changes or shearing force might crack it, but not banging on it. Only visual que would e when the hands come through.

Hands groping around through a partially broken window, ready to scratch a certain careless someone? Either way, the laws of physics have been betrayed for the sake of gameplay, in the past. If something like that were implemented, I'm sure most people woundn't mind, eh?

More importantly, some things could act similar to the original idea. Maybe improvised barricades cracking overtime? I'unno. The main suggestion was something letting a survivor know a window or door's being battered, besides audio.

I'm definitely all for doors and barricades visually showing their damage. In fact, I suggested that somewhere around 3 years ago.

Then I think we can both agree on the idea being good. I just hope this is something the developers have thought about, or are thinking of.