Kerbal Madness

EnigmaGrey

I'm afraid Jeb is dead.

I confess, I've never learned how to use their EVA jets correctly. :(

Also, the new editor gizmos are awesome, the offset allows you to clip parts or make them "float" off your ship, which is pretty convenient for plane wheels, you offset it away from the part and strut it !

Wait, that's what it does?

Oh, this changes everything. 8-)

May Jeb rest in peace, and may his damn plane rest in pieces ;o

You don't need to know how to use the EVA jetpack for the last second jump ; You don't have to use them anyway ! You just go EVA and "Let go" a bit before the crash, you can spam space in case he sets a foot somewhere you might jump and raise your chances to survive ^^

The chances to survive are slim, but still better than 100% death.

And yes the offset changes EVERYTHING !

Yeah, ''slim'',

That explains the fact that over 90% of the times I returned from the mun with only my kerbal and his jetpack, and landing on his face somehow saved him.

Yeah, ''slim'',

That explains the fact that over 90% of the times I returned from the mun with only my kerbal and his jetpack, and landing on his face somehow saved him.

Fun fact:

When you board a vehicle, the EVA fuel is refilled, making "getting out and PUSH" a viable return strategy.

Ho btw, talking about "viable return strategy", would anyone know a way to thrust forward with RCS thrusters ? like a real thrust instead of a yaw/roll/pitch push.

Yeah, ''slim'',

Fun fact:

When you board a vehicle, the EVA fuel is refilled, making "getting out and PUSH" a viable return strategy.

Ho btw, talking about "viable return strategy", would anyone know a way to thrust forward with RCS thrusters ? like a real thrust instead of a yaw/roll/pitch push.

When you launch a craft, In the bottom left corner, there are three buttons.

- One is the orbit map ( For planning routes, and looking at the solar system in general. If you played the tutorial, you already know about this) .

- The other is the staging mode ( Where you separate stages, and such) .

- And the last one is Docking Mode (where you use the RCS for thrusting forward, backward upward etc, instead of just pressing R and just controlling the speed of how your craft turns) (usefull for docking and as a final push in case you run out of fuel).

You want to press Docking mode button ( Grey button ). At this point, you will be controlling how your craft TURNS.

In docking mode, instead of pressing space to separate stages, you press it to switch between RCS modes. 

The one you start at is Turning Mode, where you press WASDQE to turn the craft. you want to press SPACE to switch to movement mode, where now, WASD is used to MOVE, NOT TURN, the craft forward, left, backward, and right, and QE Is still used to rotate the craft (in a pretty useless fashion), and at this point, SHIFT and CTRL now are used to move the ship UP and DOWN.

Hope that helps

Merry Xmas space zombies !

Last night I improved my scientist-para-dropping survey plane, even tho' it worked as intended, it was pretty limited : only 2 simultaneous drops, short distance coverage.

So I improved it ! After a few not-working-so-well prototypes, a clunky rotating-middle-part concept messing with the center of mass, a few material failures, the death of our beloved Jebediah Kerman the day before Christmas, during a dramatic flight test simulation [I failed to press "revert to launch" during the tests, it was very late :( ]... I present you a working version of Airmess 3.0. what explosion ? ho this one... just a mistake in the sequencing of the drops, no worries.

the "payload" as been put to the center to get rid of the "simultaneous drop" issue as I no longer have to worry about the center of mass moving right and left, I raised the scientist-dropping capacity, wings are fixed on large rails (from KAS) in order to move the center of lift as the center of mass will move when you drop the pods. Also it has a longer flight capacity ! [edit : the deltaV shown on the pics is wrong, I forgot to fill the tanks on the wings, it's approximatively 5500 m/s]

Contracts with multiple EVA reports to be made on the surface just got way easier ^^

Built some larger craft as, well, the little tiny thing suffered from being really tiny. Unfortunately, all of my designs eventually developed a sickening horizontal spin at around 20,000 km . . . going to be a bit harder to crack than previously thought.

eUBBUq0.jpg

So, instead, something asinine:

8hwzbY4.jpg

(Develops the spin around 10,000 meters, but it is only going 170 m/s.)

Nice EG ^^

An SSTO carrying a consequent payload would be dramatically harder to make no ? I never tried to build any yet but I was thinking about it for a cheap way to bring fuel in orbit.

We must find the answer!

Can someone explain what this game is and/or about please? Flying ships and landing on planets almost reminded me of the nostalgia times with StarFlight and Star Control 2,woo some good times their!

Well it's defined as "space program simulation", so basically it's a NASA simulator. There's an awesome editor in which you build rockets / ships / rovers / stations / whatever you have in mind, and you send them to space, or explode trying to !

The game is extremely moddable and the community is very active, it's pretty awesome.

There are 3 game modes :

• Sandbox : you have all the stock part unlocked and you do whatever you want.
  • Career : you need to manage the money, reputation, science points, fulfill contracts and do missions... You start with low tier equipement and upgrade it as you progress.
  • Science : you harvest science points by exploring the planets & objects to unlock parts (old career mode)

You should check videos !

Wow this sounds really cool, is it free or something. I mean I don't care about paying a couple bucks or whatever for it. Allways enjoyed games like this. Have you played star control or starlight? I finished starlight, it was in the old dos system I do believe. I never played that version. I had the remake on the sega geniseis, a lot of hours in that game.

Now star control 2(never played the first one) dealing with the ur- quan masters and how earth lost the war and was incased in a slave shield. Now I never beat this game, but dam near wanted too. They reworked this game since the source code has been made available to the public.

Both games are free you need a emulator and rom for starlight, and The-Ur-Quran masters HD version can be downloaded on source forge. Game looks really good since it's been updated. I will check out this game however looks very interesting.(rambling been drinking)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy do I play this game... Been playing since all there was to do in the game was to fly up slightly and explode... (no, not since today :P)

I could probably absolutely flood this thread with pictures of my monstrosities lol, but I think I'll keep it classy :P

1) Here's a picture of an Interplanetary "Ring" I made a few versions ago:

KHvqOZl.jpg

100% Vanilla/Stock parts.

You don't know pain until you try to move that from the launch pad into orbit.

Then you don't know satisfaction until it is actually there :D.

Then you don't know suicidal-tendencies until you realize this thing once in space (and even more so with a ship docked to it) is killing your processor and your FPS is melting into maybe 3... >_>

Edit: It DID work though!

tBlXWwS.jpg

-----------------------------------------

2) Here's the very last thing I built in the last version (0.25):

IMGur Album Link (Does this forum have the script to add albums to posts?)

iIQSnos.jpg

Check the link for the full album of pictures.

A working pod-racer :P

Now this one uses mods, though most are purely for aesthetics.

3) Here is the closest I could get to a "jetpack", which in the end turned out to be a movement enhancer for EVAs in space. Handier than you might think!:

IMGur Album Link

zJF2D02.jpg

Check the link for the full album of pictures.

Made to be able to handle the kind of EVA missions and repair missions in space that would require an "arm" to perform heavy duty tasks... of sorts.

Uses servos to control the arm fluidly.

P.S.: Working with servo motors *and* symmetry is in a pain in the rear -.-; Never again.

On a different note, +EnigmaGrey, in regards to your post about your aircraft flipping over. The tricks to have your airplanes be as stable as possible (even recover from stalling) are (the basics at the very least):

* To have your dry and wet centers of mass in an equal position (dry = fully out of fuel - wet = fully fueled). This way you ensure that as you start running out of fuel your center of mass is not going to be shifting around, and whether you just took off or are just about to land you will be just as stable.

* Then have your center of lift be slightly behind your center of mass. This will remove all flipping and make your plane fly like a charm.

* As a bonus, make it so your front landing gear is attached in such a way that the nose/tip of your plane is slightly pointed upwards. This will greatly aid you in both take-offs and landings, even while you may be lacking a bit of control authority.

Edit: You can check your dry center of mass by basically removing all the fuel from your tanks in the Hangar (right click the tanks), and check where that puts the yellow sphere.

Alternatively you can use the mod called "RCS Build Aid", which has a built-in hangar/assembly building feature to show you the dry center of mass alongside the wet one in a different color.

Edit 2: Contrary to popular belief, it doesn't actually matter all that much where your center of mass is when it comes to planes. It doesn't necessarily need to be in the dead center of your fuselage. What matters is to keep that pesky center of lift at bay. And of course keep both centers of mass in the same or very similar place.