RELEASED: Build 31

RobertJohnson

I don't know if anyone has noticed, or commented on, this yet. The negative trait "Sleepyhead" (Needs more sleep) doesn't seem to work properly in single player. My characters don't seem to get the "tired notification" quicker or require more sleep. When I do get the base "tired notification" I still have a maximum sleep time of 7 hours. The only change that I have noticed, but not confirmed with a non-Sleepyhead character, is that I can have my character go to sleep any time I want. (Which is great in single player for setting the clock to daylight hours to increase survival.)

Great game though, can't wait for NPCs and automobiles (even if they're just lootable boxes in the road in the beginning).

Can't see any previous mention of this, but skill books under the new system: they each cover two levels of a skill but after one level is trained the book needs to be re-read (briefly) to get the multiplier bonus back. Re-reading for this purpose only takes a second, but wasn't sure if this was intended behaviour...

Other than that, really liking the IWBUMS build, good work guys.

Also they seemed to have lowered the 2 exp you get when sawing logs to 1 exp, basicly halving the exp. Oh well. Will still grind carpentry to level 4. Worth it ^^

That's kind of what the changes in build 31 are there to prevent. If you want to do carpentry, start out with points in carpentry, either by taking the carpenter profession or the handy trait (or both which gives you carpentry 4 from the start). You're not supposed to start out with no skill points and then grind your way to the top; the game is being actively designed to make that impractical at best, to the point where it's so difficult that players will choose not to do it.

I know, but 8 points for handy? No way. I rather grind then. But to be honest, I won't do it again. Was a pain getting to level 4 carpentry. Must have cut down 638 trees. Next time I'll go Carpentry profession with Handy.

Build 31.5:

• Add some translations.  The translationProblems.txt file (which is created when using the -debugtranslation option) now lists all missing translations in a form you can copy/paste into your translation files.  It also reports different numbers of % substitutions.

Where can I find this file? It is neither in Zomboid/ nor in Steam directory.

Edit: nevermind, typo in parameter (-ddebugtranslation)

Decided to try to level foraging in survival to see how painful it would be without skill books. Grabbed Park Ranger, Hiker, Former Scout, and Fast Learner now that its fixed.

Yeah......its too much of a grind, even with the 155% XP Multiplier. Level 5 required 1500 XP, which is what it would have taken in the old system to hit level 3, which isn't even equivalent.

WHEN are we getting this LIVE?

go and play on iwbums, its stable.

Stable, but quirky. I looked at the bug tracker earlier and it seems like a fair number of good, useful fixes are committed and might get rolled into the next build 31 release, so that's something to look forward to.

My advice, for what it's worth, is to play on build 31 but not to take your game very seriously. If you want to be super-cool, when you encounter bugs (and you will), report them so they can be fixed. That'd be my advice.

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but in single player it doesn't seem to be limit of letters for the name of your characters. I say this because I used the name "afduffdadfafkajfdjafndfad saef sadfnasdnfkdasn fkdnsafknsadk naskfnkasdnfkansdkfndsafkadslfdnasfnasdfndsainfoasn" only as the first name of my last created character, the last name was kind of the same. The point is that it's very annoying when you see your health status or you check your inventory and because of that I strongly recommend the establishment of a limit of letters for the name of your characters. How many letters should be allowed? just the necessary to fit in the menu.
aXiSNIb.jpg?1

I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but in single player it doesn't seem to be limit of letters for the name of your characters. I say this because I used the name "afduffdadfafkajfdjafndfad saef sadfnasdnfkdasn fkdnsafknsadk naskfnkasdnfkansdkfndsafkadslfdnasfnasdfndsainfoasn" only as the first name of my last created character, the last name was kind of the same. The point is that it's very annoying when you see your health status or you check your inventory and because of that I strongly recommend the establishment of a limit of letters for the name of your characters. How many letters should be allowed? just the necessary to fit in the menu.

aXiSNIb.jpg?1

lmao nice find! The king of bugs for sure! : D

Taking handy or similiar is all well and fine for multiplayer games, but (for now) players that go single-player will need to grind one or another skill, and frankly, carpentry is one of the easiest skills to grind.

Exactly, I never take Handy UNLESS I go with Carpentry profession, then I will have carpentry level 4 right out of the bat which is very nice, won't need to grind at all!

Because then you can build the small rain barrels, which is more than okay. Think 5-6 pots can be filled in one. Maybe this should be nerfed? Otherwise nobody's gonna go for the big rain barrels when they small one does the job just fine.

Maybe if there was another trait/hobby that only gave a point into carpentry and let it cost 4 points and then reduce the other skill hobbies to 4 points?

Obviously this is something we can look at doing, but uh... If it's annoying, why not just... not :P

Taking handy or similiar is all well and fine for multiplayer games, but (for now) players that go single-player will need to grind one or another skill, and frankly, carpentry is one of the easiest skills to grind.

Exactly, I never take Handy UNLESS I go with Carpentry profession, then I will have carpentry level 4 right out of the bat which is very nice, won't need to grind at all!

Because then you can build the small rain barrels, which is more than okay. Think 5-6 pots can be filled in one. Maybe this should be nerfed? Otherwise nobody's gonna go for the big rain barrels when they small one does the job just fine.

Maybe if there was another trait/hobby that only gave a point into carpentry and let it cost 4 points and then reduce the other skill hobbies to 4 points?

This is definitely true, a cheaper trait that gives 1 carpentry point would be great. If we don't want to homogenize and have a ton of +1s it then maybe something relating to boy scouts or something that gives 1 carpentry and 1 forage (but less expensive than the 1c +1maint + 1maint trait) since those tend to be the survival skills you would learn at a scout camp. For a simple +1 it could be something related to working at a home improvement store like the massive chains we have in US like home depot, lowes, etc

I feel like Carpenter profession is kind of umm... boring now? If there was some other sort of bonus to go along with it like a lot of the other main professions have I think it would be nice. Anything I think of to help comes out more similar to the construction worker or lumberjack profession. Maybe if structures decayed a carpenter would have a bonus to repairing them.

I love the new variety in professions and traits overall. More info (any on character creation screen) on Fitness and Strength would be good, especially for newer players. I assume fitness is related to running and strength is either carry weight or melee attack.

Maybe if structures decayed a carpenter would have a bonus to repairing them.

I like this idea a lot. I'm not in the middle of the end of the world, and sometimes I feel like I spend half my life patching things up.

Guest Styxx42

Question.

We appear to have got to a two that has horrible rot in their wood handles and bad rust issues.

AKA, our stuff breaks WAY WAY too fast.

With settings of no respawning items, normal item count and normal foraging it is near impossible to cut wood as the rate of items is so low and when you do get.

Axes are breaking at an incredible rate.

two questions. I am guessing wear has been upped to IMO a stupid level.

Is there a server file that can control things like item wear?

Please add this if there isn't.  We need to be able to tailor this for our players.

Currently I have players crafting spears and after 4 brief combats they are broken.

And Axes and hammers (RAW) are almost one shot use.

Please fix this ASAP.  It is breaking immersion badly.

Normal or low levels still need items to survive.

I do not want have items respawning.

And I did try to repair stuff and it doesn't keep up it is not even close.

Question.

We appear to have got to a two that has horrible rot in their wood handles and bad rust issues.

With settings of no respawning items, normal item count and normal foraging it is near impossible to cut wood as the rate of items is so low and when you do get.

Please add this if there isn't.  We need to be able to tailor this for our players.

Currently I have players crafting spears and after 4 brief combats they are broken.

The spears are not really meant to be used as effective weapons and the crafted axes (don't know about the hammers) always had terrible durability that allowed for chopping about 1 tree and starting on another one if you were lucky.

Did you try taking the Repairman profession? Since we have so many new professions, we can finally start moving from cookie cutter builds to builds customized for our personal needs. This one gives a nice lvl 1 carpentry boost and lvl 2 in both blade and blunt maintanance, which should make your weapons and tools last much longer.

Guest Styxx42

Question.

The spears are not really meant to be used as effective weapons and the crafted axes (don't know about the hammers) always had terrible durability that allowed for chopping about 1 tree and starting on another one if you were lucky.

Did you try taking the Repairman profession? Since we have so many new professions, we can finally start moving from cookie cutter builds to builds customized for our personal needs. This one gives a nice lvl 1 carpentry boost and lvl 2 in both blade and blunt maintanance, which should make your weapons and tools last much longer.

Well I just finally got the stuff for a raw axe.,

I made one, Cut down two small trees and one zombie and the axe broke.

Terrible game choice for this level of wear.

And A wood stick although poor should be better then three zombies,  It already has terrible damage.

I will wait unit this is resolve.

it was never this bad before.

I have to say again this needs to be resolved.

-snip-

I never saw a problem with that and it was always like this. It's not really anything strange that a rock tied to a stick breaks fast like hell, if it didn't it would be completely OP. Hell, it is OP because you can pretty much make infinite amount of Raw Axes from foraging, couple that with Lumberjack profession and Handy trait and you're a zombie killing machine.

If you don't want stuff to break you need Maintenance skill, it increases the lifespan of all items considerably.