RELEASED: Build 31

RobertJohnson

Guest Styxx42

-snip-

I never saw a problem with that and it was always like this. It's not really anything strange that a rock tied to a stick breaks fast like hell, if it didn't it would be completely OP. Hell, it is OP because you can pretty much make infinite amount of Raw Axes from foraging, couple that with Lumberjack profession and Handy trait and you're a zombie killing machine.

If you don't want stuff to break you need Maintenance skill, it increases the lifespan of all items considerably.

I think we have a different view of OP.

Two  trees and one zombie for 15 foraging attempts to get the items needed is not OP.

It is silly.   I am finding alot in this 31x build not to my liking.

You know our ancestors used rocks and sticks to survive right?  There is no way you can survive with this setting the way it is.

We were trying for low resources and to make the stuff you find last and to scavenge and forage.

But .. Well I said it.

Make it difficult, but don't cheat me.

I like difficult.

But if I find an axe,

Don't have it break after 30 swings. (I don't know excatly how many it will break after) but I do know four out of four players on my server all noticed how fast their weapons broke and after two days of playing all feel the item wear is @#$@ over the top based on an average to low resource count, no resource reinjected on the server

The weapon damage changes with the added medical, combined with the incredible wear rate are verging no fun unless you , YES MINMAX will over come some of these issues..

Is that what we have to do. Are most of the traits\jobs not to be taken.

Well that is a poor design IMO.

Well I just finally got the stuff for a raw axe.,

I made one, Cut down two small trees and one zombie and the axe broke.

Terrible game choice for this level of wear.

And A wood stick although poor should be better then three zombies,  It already has terrible damage.

I will wait unit this is resolve.

it was never this bad before.

I have to say again this needs to be resolved.

Nothing has changed about durability in the last build.

The crafted items are meant to be poor quality and to get you by temporarily.

If you think a wood stick is a fighting tool capable of killing a horde of zombies, you've got another thing coming.

I'm gonna give you a friendly reminder here: if you want to give feedback, that's fine, but I need you to stop saying stuff like "terrible design" as:

A) You're not qualified to make that judgement, and

B) It's not lovely

We've had no other complaints about durability of items in the last 6 months that I can call to mind, and nothing has changed about it in this build as far as I'm aware. I'm sorry you don't find recent changes to your liking, and while we're open to feedback, please keep in mind the game TIS is making isn't all about you, it's about what everyone likes.

Guest Styxx42

Well I just finally got the stuff for a raw axe.,

I made one, Cut down two small trees and one zombie and the axe broke.

Terrible game choice for this level of wear.

And A wood stick although poor should be better then three zombies,  It already has terrible damage.

I will wait unit this is resolve.

it was never this bad before.

I have to say again this needs to be resolved.

Nothing has changed about durability in the last build.

The crafted items are meant to be poor quality and to get you by temporarily.

If you think a wood stick is a fighting tool capable of killing a horde of zombies, you've got another thing coming.

I'm gonna give you a friendly reminder here: if you want to give feedback, that's fine, but I need you to stop saying stuff like "terrible design" as:

A) You're not qualified to make that judgement, and

B) It's not lovely

We've had no other complaints about durability of items in the last 6 months that I can call to mind, and nothing has changed about it in this build as far as I'm aware. I'm sorry you don't find recent changes to your liking, and while we're open to feedback, please keep in mind the game TIS is making isn't all about you, it's about what everyone likes.

Rathlord.  I take offence to you inferring I am being NOT LOVELY.  

Because I am being lovely.

I never said that Terrible design,   

I said POOR CHOICE. In MY OPINION (And I stated that many many time) it is a poor design choice lowering the damage so much with all the other changes and we all are seeing(all four on the same server) really bad wear.

This game is not terrible.  Far from it.

I am not talking about the game as a whole either. I am pointing out a few things we are as a small group are having issues with IWBUMS. starting from scratch and not minmaxing.  These are issues that perhaps new players would come up against and might not like and possibly might not have the wherewithal to stick with it and come to the forums and post their thoughts and issues.

I said Terrible damage.  referring to the weapon damage been set to really bad.

Golf Clubs and other items may as well be teddy bears in this build for all the damage they do.

I am saying IWBUMS 31.6  We are having a real issue with durability and damage.

I also previously asked if we can manipulate it in the server file some were or if it can be added.

We as a group of four steady players have never had these issues before.

We have upped the speed of the zombies to fast shambling but no other changes other then the build.

We always restart the game from scratch each time a new build comes out

SO we don't experience the HIGH end of characters.  That is a choice.

We like the grit, Not the one hit one kill, uber character.

-snip-

There are things I don't like about Build 31, mostly because for someone who is SP oriented having to chose between one or the other at character creation can be painful and very limiting but after some trail\error with Professions and Traits I can't complain.

You need to know what you're going to be doing, what kind of tactic will you use to survive and Build a character around that.

Foraging? Park Ranger professions + Hiker\Former Scout traits and you're good.

Killing zombies? Lumberjack + Brawler\Baseball Player\Self Defense Class

Having stuff not break? Repairman + Handy and even Raw Axes will last a while.

And if you really need to have that durability upped on certain items you can make a mod, it's fairly simple. If you don't know how, I'll make you one just let me know through PM what is bad and how would you like it to be.

You appear very emotional about this and are making judgements about design, while throwing around suggestions. No, that's not lovely  . . . I'd go so far as to say it's counter to the IWBUMS terms of service.

Durability will be looked at and likely tweaked if it's found wanting. Thanks for the report.

Guest Styxx42

You appear very emotional about this and are making judgements about design, while throwing around suggestions. No, that's not lovely  . . . I'd go so far as to say it's counter to the IWBUMS terms of service.

Durability will be looked at and likely tweaked if it's found wanting. Thanks for the report.

Okay I get it.

I am done.

Thanks

So my only beef is shelter. To make it on your own in the woods, it takes a while to get to a level where you can build stairs and then floors for shelter from the rain. It also kind of forces you into carpentry traits when a crappy one story shack is more than fine for any outdoorsman looking to make it living off the land. It makes sense to need a high level of carpentry for stairs, but it's kind of hard to imagine a trapping/fishing/farming outdoorsman would spend that whole time soaking wet (and exhausted because you can't rest in the woods without at leat some carpentry) i get that it's easy to boost that skill, but it just seems off a bit still.

Maybe the tent can be adapted for multiplayer to rest in while providing shelter from the rain? as it does make the whole tent craftable useless in MP and I'm sure someone on your great team worked hard on it.

At risk of coming off sounding greedy, but trapping is useless without gardening. Could there be more successful kinds of bait? And possibly being able to forage at least one baitable item for the trap crate. Birds are tasty and all, but variety is the spice of life. I feel like radishes don't have a recipe that includes them or anything. Raw radishes...?! Gross.

Anyways, as far as playability goes, i love that you have to specialize.

Can't wait to try out as many styles of characters as i can. Im no mathematician but the replay ability that comes out of this system is through the roof. (no caroentry pun intended)

Multiplayer servers are getting more and more realistic. Check out Zeek's Haven: there are quite a few factions, some couriers between the groups, bandits, events and a bitter lack in the ability to trust. So much more of a head game now and teamspeak or VoIP would greatly enhance that, whenever you get time. No rush.

Anyways, great work all around, I'd say. A work of art, in the eyes of it's creator is forever in progress.

So my only beef is shelter. To make it on your own in the woods, it takes a while to get to a level where you can build stairs and then floors for shelter from the rain. It also kind of forces you into carpentry traits when a crappy one story shack is more than fine for any outdoorsman looking to make it living off the land. It makes sense to need a high level of carpentry for stairs, but it's kind of hard to imagine a trapping/fishing/farming outdoorsman would spend that whole time soaking wet (and exhausted because you can't rest in the woods without at leat some carpentry) i get that it's easy to boost that skill, but it just seems off a bit still.

Maybe the tent can be adapted for multiplayer to rest in while providing shelter from the rain? as it does make the whole tent craftable useless in MP and I'm sure someone on your great team worked hard on it.

At risk of coming off sounding greedy, but trapping is useless without gardening. Could there be more successful kinds of bait? And possibly being able to forage at least one baitable item for the trap crate. Birds are tasty and all, but variety is the spice of life. I feel like radishes don't have a recipe that includes them or anything. Raw radishes...?! Gross.

Anyways, as far as playability goes, i love that you have to specialize.

Can't wait to try out as many styles of characters as i can. Im no mathematician but the replay ability that comes out of this system is through the roof. (no caroentry pun intended)

Multiplayer servers are getting more and more realistic. Check out Zeek's Haven: there are quite a few factions, some couriers between the groups, bandits, events and a bitter lack in the ability to trust. So much more of a head game now and teamspeak or VoIP would greatly enhance that, whenever you get time. No rush.

Anyways, great work all around, I'd say. A work of art, in the eyes of it's creator is forever in progress.

to that i have to say supp,

with all the items allrdy from foraging you could build easy a shelter in the wild if the building option would be there. again i wish there would be a craftable ladder to get to a second floor, also with twigs and branches you could build at least a roof and with maybe leafs to forage even more. with stones and some mods have it the clay you could build some more stable buildings and walls. Also log walls are super but less sturdy branch walls and doors should be able. to add to this you should have the ability to life free from nature. got most stuff allrdy there :) maybe adding barkstrings and stone knifes and some building options and it should be fine.

Raw radishes...?! Gross.

Wut !? Is there another way to eat radishes than raw ?

Also, I'm sure we'll see some way to protect ourselves from the rain & cold soon enough, don't worry. :)

Some veggies are just better as ingredients. Oh that reminds me. Being able to make a salad with foraged items feels like it shoukd be a thing. Grape leaves, mushrooms, berries, violets and nuts. Yum yum. Could some kinds of mushrooms make you sick? Provided your foraging is high enough to know better? Just spitballin. Not much point geting to level 10 foraging if you can only munch those berries one at a time.

I get that the game has a lot of elements to prioritize. All that potential has got to be a handful :D

If you pick Police Officer or Veteran, and take the hunter and fast learner traits, you can get to level 10 aiming with less than 50 zombie kills. Not to mention the extra 40+ available skill points you'll have on the side. Same goes with farming, you can get to farming 10 only harvesting 3 crops as long as you have the right occupation and traits, and read the skillbooks. The balance is off quite a bit, but I still absolutely love the new occupation/trait system.

I get that some people might say well yea, if you spend all your points on a certain skill, you should be able to level it up fast, but level 10 of anything should be late game. Not achievable in less than 24 hours in-game time. I know everything is still being tweaked and balanced, but that's exactly why im writing this! I really think the current fast learner trait is way overpowered.

On the other hand, my current character is illiterate, not a fast learner (not a slow learner either), and the pace at which I level up skills seems almost perfectly balanced. I love it. The only issue is how many available skill points I've accumulated. Increasing the experience required to gain an available skill point needs drastic changes in my opinion.

love you tis

If you pick Police Officer or Veteran, and take the hunter and fast learner traits, you can get to level 10 aiming with less than 50 zombie kills. Not to mention the extra 40+ available skill points you'll have on the side. Same goes with farming, you can get to farming 10 only harvesting 3 crops as long as you have the right occupation and traits, and read the skillbooks. The balance is off quite a bit, but I still absolutely love the new occupation/trait system.

That can't be right at all. Trying to level foraging with Park Ranger, Hiker, Former Scout, and Fast Learner and honestly the grind is too much, even for a character that heavily specializes in it.

Edit: The farming part is definitely exaggerated. After harvesting 5 cabbages I only hit level 8. Still.......Farming is super easy to level compared to everything else.

I ask again, will locked crates be skipped over when the soft-reset process is run? We were excited last year to see this implemented: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2014/03/road-to-unification/

But as of now, it falls short in it's usefulness.

You can ask, you can't insist. Post once, respond to any discussion, but don't keep bringing up the same thing over and over please.

That's surprisingly a very low reply.

Thank you for answering his question by telling him he can't ask it anymore.

That was an awful thing to respond with, and no, it was very relevant to discussion and a proper answer was indeed warranted. He only asked three, once originally and the second time a long time later when everybody moved on and his question was still not answered, and a third time after nobody responded and the conversation moved on yet again.

And no, I don't have the time invested into this forum to fear calling out an admin.

You can ask, you can't insist. Post once, respond to any discussion, but don't keep bringing up the same thing over and over please.

Thank you for answering his question by telling him he can't ask it anymore. That was an awful thing to respond with, and no, it was very relevant to discussion and a proper answer was indeed warranted.

Filling up a thread with identical questions is not being lovely. Rule one of the forums is Be Lovely.

Replying in a passive aggressive way to a mod/admin isn't really being lovely either, you could have just asked why I asked for the repeated questions to stop. If you'd like to discuss this further, please PM me, rather than derailing this thread further.

Thank you for answering his question by telling him he can't ask it anymore.

That was an awful thing to respond with, and no, it was very relevant to discussion and a proper answer was indeed warranted.

It'll be addressed when and if someone knowledgeable enough chooses to do so. It doesn't need to be asked several times for that to be happen.

Just as Kirrus's comment doesn't need your judgement on what's warranted.

Take it up privately next time.

Edited by EnigmaGrey
Ninja'd :(

-snip-

To add to the mods. NasKo is our Community manager, if you have a problem with a mod or feel someone's not treated right, you can always PM him. :) He's like our trustee. :P

Yoghurt is the best typo this game has seen yet. Can we get billboards in-game advertising this brand?

Offtopic

If you're saying that there's an extra 'h' in the middle. It should. At least according to English people. And that'd be the devs.

EDIT: at least most.

I highly doubt that you could get to level 10 aim with less than 50 zombie kills. I got it to level 7 with over 500 zombie kills...

Care to explain in more detail how you did that? ^^

That can't be right at all. Trying to level foraging with Park Ranger, Hiker, Former Scout, and Fast Learner and honestly the grind is too much, even for a character that heavily specializes in it.

Edit: The farming part is definitely exaggerated. After harvesting 5 cabbages I only hit level 8. Still.......Farming is super easy to level compared to everything else.

I realized what might be the cause of this, I'm in a multiplayer server. It's quite possible, and probably likely that the server settings are giving increased xp.

Thank you for answering his question by telling him he can't ask it anymore. That was an awful thing to respond with, and no, it was very relevant to discussion and a proper answer was indeed warranted.

Filling up a thread with identical questions is not being lovely. Rule one of the forums is Be Lovely.

Replying in a passive aggressive way to a mod/admin isn't really being lovely either, you could have just asked why I asked for the repeated questions to stop. If you'd like to discuss this further, please PM me, rather than derailing this thread further.

Please stop derailing my thread...

We don't keep threads on hard-rails around here :) Tangents are accepted, even if this tangent was spam-bot triggered.
Objection! This contradicts a previous statement!

On another note... Are we going straight to 32 or are we staying on iwbums for a little longer?

Please stop derailing my thread...

We don't keep threads on hard-rails around here :) Tangents are accepted, even if this tangent was spam-bot triggered.

Objection! This contradicts a previous statement!

On another note... Are we going strait to 32 or are we staying on iwbums for a little longer?

Zeek, there's a difference between a conversation taking a tangent and coming back on a non-central thread, and a conversation being had about moderation on a thread that's supposed to be about the IWBUMS beta version, which is looked at by *everyone*, all the time.

And, no, 31 will be released to stable when it's ready. There'll likely be a gap, where IWBUMS isn't active, and then 32'll come to IWBUMS when it's ready, assuming nothing changes from current pattern.

Zeek, there's a difference between a conversation taking a tangent and coming back on a non-central thread, and a conversation being had about moderation on a thread that's supposed to be about the IWBUMS beta version, which is looked at by *everyone*, all the time.

And, no, 31 will be released to stable when it's ready. There'll likely be a gap, where IWBUMS isn't active, and then 32'll come to IWBUMS when it's ready, assuming nothing changes from current pattern.

*sigh* It was a joke.. You guys need to relax. I say guys, because Enigma gave me a warning...

Anyways, thank you for answering my question.

Edit: FYI I was making a Phoenix Wright reference.

*sigh* It was a joke.. You guys need to relax. I say guys, because Enigma gave me a warning...

Anyways, thank you for answering my question.

Edit: FYI I was making a Phoenix Wright reference.

We have to be extra lovely here! Not really used to it when coming from forums where you can write all sorts of stuff and just have a good time.

But that's the rule and we gotta respect it =)

Spreaaad the loooove!

I've put about six hours into playing IWBUMS 31 and I haven't encountered a single Crawler Zombie. Granted, I haven't traveled extensively but I've killed about 165 zombies. Are they more rare now? Or is this a bug?

I've run into maybe a half dozen in the couple hours I've had time to play. They're there, unless you've indeed hit a bug.