RELEASED: Build 31

RobertJohnson

Finally got the chance to play for awhile and there's a few things that I think may want to be rebalanced.  Just to try them out I took the sleepy head *need more sleep* and restless sleeper *sleep doesnt recover as much stamina* and I've got to say that this combo is beyond horrible. 

I suspect this will be down to the time per day thing not scaling correctly.

If you have 30 minute days, which is default, stamina drain will appear to be very fast.

Try 1 hour days, might elevate the problem

Unfortunately, I'm having the same issue with one-hour days.  Barely five hours from fully rested to exhausted.

So I was playing Sandbox with Extremely Rare loot settings and I noticed one thing, the recent addition of canned, non perishable foods makes the food problem non existant in early game, It's quite easy to hoard a months supply of canned goods with a few runs. On Rare it's twice that. God only knows how much of that stuff can spawn in a single cupboard on higher settings.

I would suggest adding some kind of script that controls spawn rates of canned goods, like one or two rolls for all canned items selecting a random one and spawning that instead of one roll for each item because it can spawn ridiculous amounts of food and it really increases the chance of finding some on low loot settings.

While a slight adjustment might be in order, I don't see why canned goods should be "rare".  In my house alone we have an entire cabinet filled with just canned goods like beans, green beans, corn, chili, etc so forth o.o Finding anywhere between 6-12 cans at least in a house wouldnt be to odd for a medium sized household that had 3 or more people living in it I would say xD

Also in the early months of the apocalypse, living would be kind of easier then say a few years in.  That's when the real issues pop up of oh hey we are out of food how do we grow more.  The house is starting to fall apart cause of termites and other natural factors + zombies beating on it occasionally, how do we fix it?  Water and power has shut off so how do we preserve food and get clean water.  So while you might be able to get a lot of canned food early on, its eventually going to slow down and you have to go further out to the point where it might not be feasible to do it.  You also have to remember that you're not the only person scavenging for goods :P   You'll have npcs doing the same thing as well as other players *yay multiplayer* to contend with.

While a slight adjustment might be in order, I don't see why canned goods should be "rare".  In my house alone we have an entire cabinet filled with just canned goods like beans, green beans, corn, chili, etc so forth o.o Finding anywhere between 6-12 cans at least in a house wouldnt be to odd for a medium sized household that had 3 or more people living in it I would say xD

Also in the early months of the apocalypse, living would be kind of easier then say a few years in.  That's when the real issues pop up of oh hey we are out of food how do we grow more.  The house is starting to fall apart cause of termites and other natural factors + zombies beating on it occasionally, how do we fix it?  Water and power has shut off so how do we preserve food and get clean water.  So while you might be able to get a lot of canned food early on, its eventually going to slow down and you have to go further out to the point where it might not be feasible to do it.  You also have to remember that you're not the only person scavenging for goods :P   You'll have npcs doing the same thing as well as other players *yay multiplayer* to contend with.

I guess you're right, I just have a tendency to think very strictly in the present, NPCs don't exist for me at all so I don't take them under consideration, MP isn't my thing. But anyway, this is a realism vs gameplay thing, realistically we should all be playing sandbox with really high loot settings, normal at the very least. Plenty of stuff everywhere in every house. Once NPCs come I might just start using it because it will provide a challenge but for now...

I'm talking about "Extremely Rare" loot setting, it goes well with 8 Months After Apocalypse preset (my favorite) and gives off a feeling that everything was looted, being able to find 1 spoon + 2-3 cans of food per house looted just feels wrong in such scenario. I used to really have to stay on the move to survive, now I hoarded a months supply of canned goods with little effort.

That being said I made a suggestion that I think is relevant in this case: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/12345-sandbox-advanced-options/

Me and a few friends are playing 31.4 multiplayer. We tried leveling up carpentry (we're all level 0) but even after reading carpentry for beginners and getting a 3.0 multiplier, building log walls or sawing planks just gives 1 XP to carpentry. Is this a bug or is it something else I need to do to level up carpentry more effectively? I am sorry if this was mentioned already. I did not read the entire thread. The server is set to have XpMultiplier = 1.0 (which is default)

IMO the exping time is just ok. Getting that lvl 4 in carpentry to get water collectors dont take that much time.

Yeah! And I even did it on a non carpentry character with slow learning. Got 2 exp for every log I sawed so I ended up sawing half the forest to get to carpentry lvl 4! But it didn't take that much time! I like very much :)

If you collect rain in a water barrel, rain is pure water unless it is acid rain or contaminated with nuclear fallout, so it should be fine to drink, unless the barrel contains grunge and dirt etc...

You can't drink rain water in real life, for a reason a can't remember, it isn't quite good for your health. Of course it won't kill you, i hope xD. But boilt it's better.

And it add some difficulty so it's cool

My only complaint is the random freezing which I assume isn't my fault but rather the fault of playing a really unstable build. But I love the zombie cam and the cleaning the blood. Y'all really outdid yourselves with this update and I'm very proud to say I'm a supporter of the indie stone right now :)

If you collect rain in a water barrel, rain is pure water unless it is acid rain or contaminated with nuclear fallout, so it should be fine to drink, unless the barrel contains grunge and dirt etc...

You can't drink rain water in real life, for a reason a can't remember, it isn't quite good for your health. Of course it won't kill you, i hope xD. But boilt it's better.

And it add some difficulty so it's cool

Probably because of the bacteria in the water. I assume most people wouldn't cover their rain barrels anyhow from animals, insects, sunlight, dust and leaves. 

Most of these bacterias are harmless and do not pose risk. However, some organisms can cause stomach aches, diarrhoea and similar ailments and can be quite dangerous.

Just some feedback on the new foraged item, Frog, its yet another non-perishable. I'm just curious how long most of these foraging items are gonna remain in this state, because its a pretty powerful skill at the moment.

Also, we need recipes for the frog :D

But the frog only stays non perishable until you cut it right? XD

Awesome. Gotta Grind myself to Forage lvl 7 now...

Exactly. Literally everything that is foraged, with the exception of berries, is non-perishable. The fact that mushrooms can be used in recipes makes them amazing, and the Frog actually gives quite a bit of hunger reduction. As of now, it doesn't even have to be cooked, unlike the wild eggs or any other game meat that you find.

But the frog only stays non perishable until you cut it right? XD

Awesome. Gotta Grind myself to Forage lvl 7 now...

Exactly. Literally everything that is foraged, with the exception of berries, is non-perishable. The fact that mushrooms can be used in recipes makes them amazing, and the Frog actually gives quite a bit of hunger reduction. As of now, it doesn't even have to be cooked, unlike the wild eggs or any other game meat that you find.

Don't worry, there is a sprite of a Dead frog in game files :) Also sprites for rotten frog meat.

Here's a thought that came up with the addition of the keyring.  The keyring has its own special little slot it goes into so it doesn't take up a backpack or equipment slot which is cool.  Maybe do something like this for the first aid kit?  Atm the first aid kit has to be equipped in a equipment slot to access whats inside of it, it has very little weight reduction capability, and if you're generally carrying it without having it equipped, if you don't have the stout or strong trait, it's generally going to throw you beyond your carrying weight capacity and even with stout it's going to push you close depending on how much you're carrying / what kind of bag you have.  ATM I don't really see the point of carrying a first aid kit at all, it just takes up more room and makes me overburden 90% of the time.  Instead i just keep some medical supplies in my hiking bag since it drastically reduces the weight and I always have it equipped so I can just grab what I need and go.  ATM with the kits you either have to sacrifice using a 2 handed weapon to carry it around at all times in case you get hurt, or keep the first aid kit in your main inventory where it weights like 3 or more pounds, or keep the first aid kit in your backpack.  With the case of it being in your back pack if you get hurt and need a splint or something like asap or you're going to die in like 15 seconds, you gotta find the first aid kit, move it over to your main inventory which takes awhile especially with the "all thumbs" perk, equip it, pull out the splint, and hope you can splint yourself before you die.  So as a thought for actually making the first aid kit more accessible and actually kinda being worth while to have instead of just keeping the first aid supplies in your backpack, give it it's own little slot like the key ring that you can equip it to.  Not sure if this should go here but it's an idea since we're playing around with professions and stuff with this build \o/

Build 31.5:

• Recipes can use "OnGiveXP:MyLuaFunction" to award XP when a recipe is used.  MyLuaFunction should take 4 arguments.  See the top of media/lua/server/recipecode.lua for an example.
  • Mods can add their own media/lua/shared/Translate/ files.
  • Fixed shoving zombies through closed windows. (Issue #001403)
  • Add some translations.  The translationProblems.txt file (which is created when using the -debugtranslation option) now lists all missing translations in a form you can copy/paste into your translation files.  It also reports different numbers of % substitutions.
  • Fixed reanimated player inventory syncing in multiplayer. (Issue #001418)
  • Fixed /addxp server command. (Issue #001416)
  • Fixed "panic" sound playing for reanimated players.
  • Fixed reanimated player walk animation being broken 1 time in 40 (caused gliding zombies).

Don't worry, there is a sprite of a Dead frog in game files :) Also sprites for rotten frog meat.

Frog meat can already rot. There's also sprites for rabbits/squirrels/mice/rats that are not used atm as well (I believe the same "dead" sprites as the frog has). Right now frogs are being handled weird, unlike trapped animals.

P.S. we need a walleye sprite!!!!!!!