RELEASED: Build 31

RobertJohnson

Screws or nails, trust me, with even a 20oz hammer I can snap screw heads or just claw-pry the entire board up and off. Granted screws will be a longer process to remove with a hammer, typically destroys (at least) the corners of the board so it doesn't look pretty, but when I want a board stripped pretty isn't a factor. I have worked concrete for the last 7 years or so, I pull A LOT of nails and jimmyrigged boards in some really tight spots and usually they are sealed in place by a fine or thick layer of concrete. If someone hammered it there, regardless of wood type or thickness (which both do factor in, yes) or the material it is attached to, you can ALWAYS get it down, it's just a matter of effort and proper tool use. If the crowbar were able to do what it does in reality, the effort would be much less so as well.

I have a much bigger problem with sledgehammering through reinforced and concrete walls than I do with people removing boards from windows easily. Slugging through a wall that likely has rebar in it (Knox Bank for instance) shouldn't be as fast and easy as making a sandwich. Barricades are to keep zombies out, people are smarter than a corpse, it won't keep them out for long, like the old saying "locks only stop honest people."

Wouldn't it be pretty awesome if the Devs gave a weird welshman the go-ahead to record some gameplay footage of Build 31 and he did that and you could all watch it but instead of being all forward about it he subtly linked to it in the bottom of his weird message about the possibility of it happening?

Yeah that'd be pretty cool Tooks but I think you've made your link too long I dont think its subtle anymore why are you still going for the love of god stop

I believe that people will continue to either break your house door, or burn the entire house down using a campfire and just not give two shits about the lock system...

Agreed, a survivor can spend weeks building walls, collecting loot. Some guy finds your base, waits until you are offline, takes a sledge and with four swings is inside. :/

Currently, they're being implemented more for RP, than for securing loot. Currently, the best way of keeping stuff safe in MP, is hiding it behind something.

No, the safest way of keeping your stuff safe is putting everything you own on you, and then logging off

I can never carry all my stuff T_T... I tend to hoard everything at random sometimes just because I don't want others to have the random shiny things I find (yes even in single player).  One day I had 3 backpacks completely full of silverware and pens/pencils I grabbed it all and this was because it was all I could find in the online server almost everything was looted at the time lol.

Looking forward to the CDDA challenge. I think it'll make for a good vid for my channel. Dying many many times I suspect would be rather amusing. Especially if I'm panicking like crazy fumbling with the new med system I'm not yet familiar with.

Is this build available in the IWBUMS branch?

According to the mondoid some weeks ago - yes:

"The current changelist can be found in RJ’s new Build 31 thread on the forums. This isn’t the complete list – other features we’re working on may well drop in on completion. We’ll be in a better position to judge when we’ll put a lock on Build 31 content and push out to IWBUMS when we’re further through the testing process. We want to get the more obvious balancing stuff right, and given the large amount of character builds now available there’s a fair chunk to go through."