shotgun pellet count

spikeyhat09

sorry if this has been suggested before, but i didnt see this on the freq suggestion list so i think im alright

currently shotgun shells have 5 projectile count, which is somewhat unrealistic since most 12 gauge buckshot shells contain between 10 and 20 projectiles

suggestion: increase pellet count of shotgun shells to 12 (based on remington magnum 00 buck), and reduce damage per pellet if necessary.

the shotgun rightly does not see a lot of use among survivors as a primary weapon (beyond using it to lure zombies), of course due to the noise it generates. its clear that the developers meant for this firearm to be used as a last ditch weapon, something that you will only use to defend yourself if all else fails. i think this modification will improve its effectiveness as a last ditch weapon, without making it overpowered or overcoming the negative effects of zombie attraction, and at the same time improving realism.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in order to kill em, you have to hit the head, right? I guess it's flipping hard to get all of the scattered pellets go each in zed's head... So seems pretty fair to me as it is - about half or less pellets actually hit the target (shotgun is definitely not a precise weapon to me)

I see what you're getting at. The higher pellet count you're thinking of is what comes in birdshot. Its closer in size to what you would put through a bb gun. 00 Buckshot (designed to hunt...bucks) is the standard for police and military supply. 00 Buckshot rounds contain 9 lead balls .33"  in diameter (close to a .357 round, at the same velocity...if you can imagine getting hit with nine 357's at the same time...)  Both types would be very common in an area such as Muldraugh/West Point.

Sporting, Magnum, and other specialty loads may vary on pellet count, but you get the drift.

Hollywood makes the shotgun look like you can clear a room in a couple shots because of the spread pattern. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. I've fired both kinds, and out to normal shotgun distances (50 yds and closer...IMO) the patterns for the buckshot don't spread much beyond the silhouette of a human-sized target. Birdshot can have a bit more deviation...but most of the lead lands in the perimeter of the target. Sporting guns usually allow the use of "choke tubes" to, in effect, "funnel" the shot pattern down to increase accuracy at range. In our case you would need to hit the head, of course.

I referenced "Fallout: New Vegas" in my very first post (a reloading post...before I realized that was a dead horse that loved to be beaten), which uses a selectable ammo-type system that lets you choose between standard (Full Metal Jacket, FMJs), hollow points, Armor piercing, etc. The shotgun would allow for a much broader array of ammo types, from bird and buckshot, to slugs and flechette rounds (instead of shot, they're little razor darts...wicked). There are also short shells (1 3/4" compared to standard 2 3/4") that could be simulated to be quiter (if only a little...enough to not wake the whole city) but pack less of a punch. With a plethora of stores, warehouses and a police station to shop at, I'm sure a body could find any and all combinations of shot type...except for exactly what you need when you need it if you're like me. It's late. I'd better quit.