Hey everyone! To keep this nice and concise, I figured the world of Project Zomboid needed a bit of a touch up in terms of improvisation and crafting, so I decided to make a rather random mod: Improvised Containers!

E9Mlt3.png

Downloads:

Improvised Containers 1.1.1 (Latest Version)

Features:

A total of 6 craftable, realistic bags/backpacks added to the game:

Improvised Backpack:

46QqkQ.png

Crafting:

Sheet/Tarp/Pillow Case

Sheet Rope x4

Plank x2

Saw/Axe/Hunting Knife/Kitchen Knife

OR

Sheet/Tarp/Pillow Case

Sheet Rope x4

Sturdy Stick x3

Improvised Handbag:

Jet6lC.png

Crafting:

Sheet/Tarp/Pillow Case

Sheet Rope x2

Plank

Saw/Axe/Kitchen Knife/Hunting Knife

OR

Sheet/Tarp/Pillow Case

Sheet Rope x2

Sturdy Stick

Pillow Case:

5NknYL.png

Crafting:

Pillow

Pillow Case Backpack:

sPTIjT.png

Crafting:

Pillow Case

Sheet Rope x4

Screwdriver/Pencil/Pen/Kitchen Knife/Hunting Knife/Tent Peg

Bindle:

LYqYlR.png

Crafting:

Sheet/Tarp/Pillow Case

Plank

OR

Sheet/Tarp/Pillow Case

Sturdy Stick

Shoulder Pole:

v5Ip6p.png

Crafting:

Plank

Sheet Rope x6

Empty Bucket x2

OR

Sturdy Stick

Sheet Rope x6

Empty Bucket x2

------------------------------------------------

And an additional pouch system that allows you to craft pouches from Duct Tape (1/4 per Duct Tape Pouch made) and then attach them to the vanilla bags within the game:

Duct Tape Pouches:

RsSoH0.png

Crafting:

Duct Tape (1/4 of 1)

Schoolbag (With Pouches):

iYnFVd.png

Crafting:

Schoolbag (Make sure it is empty as it is destroyed and replaced in the script)

Duct Tape Pouches x2

Duffelbag (With Pouches):

mI9aMw.png

Crafting:

Duffelbag (Make sure it is empty as it is destroyed and replaced in the script)

Duct Tape Pouches x2

Normal Hiking Bag (With Pouches):

mI9aMw.png

Crafting:

Normal Hiking Bag (Make sure it is empty as it is destroyed and replaced in the script)

Duct Tape Pouches x2

Big Hiking Bag (With Pouches):

mI9aMw.png

Crafting:

Big Hiking Bag (Make sure it is empty as it is destroyed and replaced in the script)

Duct Tape Pouches x2

Planned Features:

That's why I'm here. I'd love to get some feedback and criticism (Especially since this is my first time properly modding something, not including Insurgency skins), but most important of all, I want more ideas for improvised bags and such. I'm open to any ideas! (Provided it's within my extremely limited coding knowledge.)

Permissions:

Feel free to use my work in your own mods, but please credit me!

197px-Spiffo_MODS_02.png

Other Work:

Feel free to contact me if you're looking for a sprite artist for your own mods. Don't feel limited to downsizing images anymore!

Credits:

Icons & Coding - WolfeClaw

Download Page Art - Yukiin

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

A quick update that allows the player to treat pillow cases as sheets, giving you the ability to tear them into Ripped Sheets or craft them into Sheet Rope.

OP updated with new download link.

CHANGELOG:
------------------------------------------------------
Version 1.1.1: 10/02/15 HOTFIX
------------------------------------------------------
CHANGED:

- Pillow Cases can now be torn into Ripped Sheets, as well as crafted into Sheet Rope, similar to clothing and sheets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello I just wanted to tell you that i love your mod, however there is a little bug in which i'm not able to carry the bags in my back, i'm not sure if you already fixed this, but if not i would love to see it fixed, you did a hell of a work :), thank you

Oh, I apologize for not seeing this sooner. I made it so that the Improvised Backpack, Pillow Case Backpack, Shoulder Pole and duffelbag/hiking bags with pouches can be worn on your back, with the others simply being held items. 

Are you sure it was one of these that weren't equippable on the back? Because if so I'll delve back into the code, but I do remember testing all bags and they worked as intended. Thanks regardless!

Hello I just wanted to tell you that i love your mod, however there is a little bug in which i'm not able to carry the bags in my back, i'm not sure if you already fixed this, but if not i would love to see it fixed, you did a hell of a work :), thank you

Oh, I apologize for not seeing this sooner. I made it so that the Improvised Backpack, Pillow Case Backpack, Shoulder Pole and duffelbag/hiking bags with pouches can be worn on your back, with the others simply being held items. 

Are you sure it was one of these that weren't equippable on the back? Because if so I'll delve back into the code, but I do remember testing all bags and they worked as intended. Thanks regardless!

don't worry about it, but yeah actually was the big hiking bag  the one that i was unable to wear, and i even tried with the others and it didn't let me, again thank you for replying, and still both your mod and the idea are awesome, 

don't worry about it, but yeah actually was the big hiking bag  the one that i was unable to wear, and i even tried with the others and it didn't let me, again thank you for replying, and still both your mod and the idea are awesome, 

Are these the default hiking bags or the hiking bags with duct tape pouches?

hiking bags with duck tape pouches

hiking bags with duck tape pouches

I just checked and mine works fine, no adjustments made to the public code. You need to make sure that you unequip what is already on your back to then get the option to equip another. If you already did that then I'm afraid I have no other ideas.

CanBeEquipped = Back; is on all of my backpacks and bags that are deemed necessary to do so.

• 6 months later...

Just to throw it out there, I've given all assets from this mod to another person who made this on the Workshop. Since I'm no coder and pretty much just make art for people, I figured this made more sense to do rather than let the idea of this mod fade and die. :)

So put simply, keep an eye on this workshop page to see the stuff that this mod had going for it. It'll take a week or so for him to add stuff, so don't expect anything new there for the time being. Yay for sharing!