Warm meals

daorkboypl

This is subjective since some people like cold food more than warm food. 

A good example is Pizza, some people prefer it cold rather than hot, so happiness in relation to temperature is again subjective.

Maybe this could be a trait thing where your character likes cold meals more (bonus to uncooked or food that cannot be heated up as well as food that cooled down)

But your idea is alright.

Ok, I do like that idea. It could depend on food type/meal and perhaps a trait. Warmer food it better for you overall.

But then the heat from cooking should last a bit longer. Atm it seems to take only a few seconds (2-5) for food to cool off after taking it out of the oven/fire.

I love the idea of personalizing your food preferences. I personally hate seafood, so I wouldn't mind getting upset when I'm forced to eat fish over other meals. The vegetarian idea is great too (but not for me)!

I do think that it shouldn't effect the stats of the food other than happiness or possibly boredom. Fish (I am going to keep using this example for me personally) is no less healthy for me just because I do not like the taste.

I suppose one could argue that since you do not like the taste, you will lose your appetite sooner and thus not be as hungry from eating food you don't like. Obviously you miss out on nutrition this way though. This is a stretch to me though and probably a waste of time to bother adding.

Ideally, I would like to see eating the same food over and over again leading to boredom.

I don't think warm food needs a happiness boost since it already has a hunger boost, but a food preference trait sounds fun. Why not even an allergic trait.

Let's say a picky eater gets a happiness reduction from a certain amount random (or maybe prechosen by the game) food items. I think it'd be too much if we'd have every type of foodstuff separated. +1 trait points

A vegetarian would get a happiness reduction on meats +1 trait points

A vegan a large reduction on meats, dairy and fish. +2 trait points

A meat eater a reduction on from eating vegetables. +1 trait point

And then we'd have the most common allergens in foodstuff (didn't count peanuts or soy, since those would be too miniscule to implement imo. And milk allergy is only common with children if you don't count lactose intolerance wich would just make you smelly. <_<).

Seafood allergy all seafood could possibly kill if eaten a lot and not treated, at least cause same effects as being extremely tired or sick. +3 points

Wheat allergy or coeliac disease All foodstuff containing wheat debilitates as above. +3 points

And last egg allergy same same, but different. +2 points (do you make your burger patty with eggs or without them?. This is important stuff, srsly!)

Go with a coeliac, sea food allergic, vegan with hardy eater and you're going to have a very hard time finding suitable food.

Ok, I'll include the lactose intolerant because farts are funny. Just imagine running in the zombie apocalypse and having zombies follow you just because you smell so bad. And just as you've hid in that dumpster, the urge compells. +1 point

I'll leave you with more than a mental image of that.

KAJRkFE.png?1

Any trait that would help/hurt your character concerning the temperature/texture/taste of the food would be (should be) thrown out the window when your character is starving.  Hunger helps make anything edible simply scrum-diddly-uptous.  I had a Brisk iced tea after a long, hot, summer's day with nothing to drink, and that thing was the BOMB!  I thought I had found the nectar of the gods!  I bought a Brisk iced tea a few days later, and I was totally disappointed.  It was dirty sugar water with lemon.

Maybe hunger is what the devs are thinking about.  It's the apocalypse.  Everything has rotted.  Why not just be down with eating that potato you just pulled from the ground or that fish you yanked out of the river.