Skateboard and Ramps :D

Jsnazz

Hey everyone

I'm new to the game and the forum.

I want to say I just love this amazing game. The only thing missing is the need for speed and I don't mean adding vehicals because they tend to be very overpower ahem State of Decay.

Adding a skateboard where we could build it and use it for light transportion, reduce bordom by doing all kind of tricks on the ramps and of course hit and run with a baseball bat , how cool is that xD

The only requirement is that you need level 4 carpentry to build it.

ps. I don't know how to skate in real life or know anything about skateboard parts but I love to try it ingame since traveling is a very big part of the game. We need something fun to spice it up imo.

Cheers

update: my suggestion was inspired by ManBearPig after watching him run for a very long distance while on foot and I'm thought "why not help the man make his journey more exciting and fun"?

I doubt that this would get into the main game due to many many more other things that need doing and that have been suggested through the years. It's an original idea, but it doesn't really fit the feel of pz. It'd be a fun mod if someone made it though. :P

Welcome to the forums! We're glad to have you with us!

Edited by Suomiboi

a skateboard on a blacktop road is surprisingly loud, as is a skateboard on a sidewalk. especially when it keeps hitting the expansion seems. and a skateboard on a wooden ramp would be nothing more than a beacon for the zombies to focus on, it's quite loud.

gotta remember something about a zombie apocalypse, all the normal back ground noise we hear every day from all the planes trains and automobiles, is gone. nothing is there to muffle the sound anymore, so it would be relatively easy to locate any loud sound and start moving towards it.

of course, that is part of the hoped for fun of the game....having a random thing you were doing lead to a horde pounding on your door.

a skateboard on a blacktop road is surprisingly loud, as is a skateboard on a sidewalk. especially when it keeps hitting the expansion seems. and a skateboard on a wooden ramp would be nothing more than a beacon for the zombies to focus on, it's quite loud.

For sure !

After I clear all the zombies near my green zone, I just want to ride my board to collect my stuff and this make travel less of a burden.

If you're a fighter, you could use the board as bait to pull them all in and kill them with your arsenals.

side note: It doesn't have to be a skateboard, it also can be a bike or a rollerblade xD

Maybe for transport. In german this is called "Hunt" :)

21tzJWkiauL.jpg

I feel this would be a good addition if/when movable furniture is re-added. Caster wheels are extremely common (shopping carts, beds, office chairs, etc), and adding them to a board wouldn't be a huge project. Put it under a crate and you could have a user-crafted equivalent to the old wheelie bins.

Honestly doesn't sound like this would work well in pz, Since they are going for realism I think the only transportation would be cars, Motorcycles, Bikes and maybe even a train if they want to. Who would ride a skateboard in the apocalypse anyway?

Although it would be a fun mod.

Well the skateboard is not just for transportation, but its also serve as a recreational tool where you and a bunch of friends able to pull off tricks on your custom build ramps.

The skateboard also utilize your carpentry skill to create a sturdy and unique board for your need. Your sprinting skill also matter because it will added to your overall speed boost.

Why skateboard and not cars? well because cars will make the game very easy or very complicated and it doesn't utilize any of our skills that I mentioned on the above.

I'll use the car for sure if they add it through, but you need to ask yourself the following questions.

What would happen if you have a flat tire? Out of gas? battery problem? busted radiator/engine because you plow through a group of zombies?

Would work.

If the world was just a very large skate park, with no trash or obstacles.

Your argument is strongly biased towards Skateboards as it seems you ignore any of the faults they have.

Well riding a skateboard is just an option to open up the fun factor when it come to traveling and traveling is a very big part for this game.

As for obstacles, watch how this guy shred through em. I always wish I can do that in a zombie apoc instead of running on my 2 flint stone feet xD

That is New york. Flat, Roads, Pavement.

Yet he still walks and has to stop at curbs, the paths and streets are clean and flat. And he has had plenty of practice with it.

Come the Zombie Apocalypse in Muldraugh. The floor is not flat, there will be dead bodies and rubbish everywhere, you will unlikely be an expert in riding a skateboard, as for riding anywhere else buy concrete for example soil, no chance at all.

The skateboard is a plank of wood with tiny wheels on, it would be useless to use and make no sense at all.

Yes, perhaps the dream of rolling around on a skateboard is fun, but so is riding a cow. Both are death sentences. 

That's where common sense come in and by that I mean getting off your board and use your feet when you know you're going to get trip over xD

Or better yet don't craft the board at all and just run on your feet.

Or better yet make this a mod because it's pointless for the devs to spend time making something only a few would enjoy, I say Cars, Motorcycles, And maybe a usable train if you can get enough fuel and parts :D They might even add a bike we can use, It makes more sense in my opinion. Also in all of the zombie Movies, Show, And games have you seen anyone using a skateboard? I think not. You could always suggest this in the mod section though or better yet make it yourself ;)

Hmm as an adult who used to skateboard a lot as a kid, I immediately liked the idea of riding a skateboard, but I am very aware of all of their drawbacks.

Just because there are drawbacks though doesn't mean they shouldn't be added (preferably as a mod).

Here are the obvious problems.

1. The noise, the noise, the noise! They are anything but quiet. Better than a two-stroke dirtbike, but your average car or bicycle are substantially quieter.
  2. Unless you are proficient at ollieing over obstacles; the degrading, trash filled, dead body strewn Z-Apoc world would be terribly hard to navigate. They can also only be used on hard surfaces.
  3. Fighting anything while maintaining your balance on a skateboard is unrealistic. You aren't going to be able to ride through a horde of zombies swinging a baseball bat with any real force. You can't put your body into the swing and you'll just be flailing with your arms, which most likely will cause you to lose your balance and fall off the skateboard.

Here are some obvious advantages.

1. Easy to find/craft in an average American town.
  2. Faster than walking and less tiring than running.
  3. The skateboard itself is not a terrible weapon (not a great weapon, but better than a frying pan). It has the ability to keep zombies at a medium distance, is strong enough to crack skulls, quick to equip from riding to fighting, and can be used as a primitive shield against zombies or other melee attacks. Living in an urban environment like I do, I always thought to use my board if I got into a fight. Better than nothing!

The disadvantages probably out-weigh the benefits, but that doesn't mean we should immediately ban a reasonable and realistic idea (even if its not a very good one).

If you want to ride a skateboard and attract a horde to you while doing it, well "This is how you died".

I like modes of transport additions. Someone mentioned bikes which i think would be great too, and as ive said in other threads, just because something has TERRIBLE drawbacks doesnt mean it shouldn't be in the game. More dumb choices is good. Each player has to sort the cost-benefit of every action for themselves.

Cheers for all the great feedback guys !

I played a game call Paper Boy when I was a kid and my job was throwing news paper at houses where the street was litter with trashes and I had to pull off Aerial, zig zag , slides and grinds just to avoid them. After a friend introduce Pz to me, I can't help but think what really missing all this time was a skateboard as I run long distance from house to house to load my loots. This is after I stealth killed every zombies to create a large safe zone so I can sleep and loot safety.

So instead of running back and forth I could be doing this to spice up my journey, but the most important thing is that it must utilize my carpentry, sprinting and nimble skill to make adding a skateboard worthy of the developers time.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it is worth the Developers to add, as they have plenty of other stuff better than this to add.

Care to give me a few example on what you have in mind about the better stuff?

Keep it mind it need to involve with carpentry skill, sprinting and nimble. This is why I choose skateboard over a car and bike for our transportation.

I was OK with this suggestion until doing tricks was mentioned. This is the zombie apocalypse, not Tony Hawk's Trick Tips featuring Kris Markovich.

Navigating the streets quicker on a board, fine, as long as it's loud! Anything else would be farcical. Skateboarding takes a ridiculous amount of time and dedication to get good. You wouldn't have time to practise skating and the only dedication should be survival.

Care to give me a few example on what you have in mind about the better stuff?

NPCs, the meta game, cars, bicycles, professions, UI overhaul, water from rivers etc., moving furniture, story mode, electronics, animals, hunting, generators, more animations, weapons, items, sewers, armor and the list goes on... There's quite a few things on the list of what would be cool and what the devs have already said, they'd like to implement.

EDIT and there's I think 8-9 devs atm who are doing all of the work that goes into the game.

Once agin dude the devs will not spend time making this epic zombie survival game into a skateboarding game, This argument is extremely one sided. Think about all of the other amazing features they are going to add. Would you rather have all of what suomiboi said or a skateboard that would waste time? Sorry for not being lovely but if you want this in the game post this as a mod suggestion.