One missing part, that ALL zombie games are missing.

Hetachi

without further a due I present to you a quote from "FrankieOnPCin1080"

At the moment all the zombie games out there are kill on sight based, as I think none of the developers understand what causes this issue. So let me just explain, killing on sight exists, because it's the easiest play style, now obviously killing on sight is part of the game, but it shouldn't have that high of a ratio, this happens because there is no worth to other players life, and no consequences to killing other players, besides the benefits that you get by looting dead player.  In real life if you find someone, you wouldn't try to kill him, because this person could be a valuable asset to you, and could possibly help you survive. People need people to literally survive or you end up talking with your dog like in "I am legend". What these game devs also forget is that different people have different skills, like if you worked as a mechanic or a doctor, or a school teacher something like that in a Zombie apocalypse would have totally different skill set, most people wouldn't know how to treat a broken leg, or how to even set it correctly so that it heals correctly. So if you have 4 friends you can just set your skill sets to best benefit you and your friends, and that would just make groups of players instead of making a group of random players. So I guess the only way to do that is to give players unchangeable skill set for like 6 days. So that they can't just kill themselves to change the skill set, like in walking dead where you have to go to other people and find out what skills they have and which ones you want. That kind of initiates the interest in that part of the game where you want to meet other people. For example in the walking dead Joes group didnt kill Daryl initially is because he looks like the kind of guy who could help them survive so even if you are a bandit group like them  you would have to see if other people have the skills that can benefit you, and the only way is by talking with them and finding out, you could even pretend to be something else, like say that your a police officer, and wear a police uniform, and not be one, just so you could fit in with this specific group, you could basically be Eugene from the Walking dead, like fit in with a group so that you could just survive.

I really hope at least one dev reads this, as if this kind of game came out I think people would play it alot. 

You could just add this to server configs.

Ps.

This person is playing zombie games quite alot so I think he knows what he is saying.

Also anyone is interested in the full video where he is discussing this matter link is: here

Yeah, I think the next build's Profession\Trait system overhaul is aimed at fixing this. As in, encouraging teamwork by limiting the everyone can be a Jack of All Trades thingy and making it so only very few players can ever Master something.

Other than that I don't think this CAN be fixed. It's just what people do in MP. No matter how many incentives people are given to work together they will still kill each other. Save for some really roleplay heavy servers all zombie MP games will ultimately be one huge deathmatch session with zombies.

Save for roleplayers nobody cares about surviving for months, building communities and generally, for "living" in a game, they just want to go in, play for a few hours, cause some mayhem and quit.

Yeah, I think the next build's Profession\Trait system overhaul is aimed at fixing this. As in, encouraging teamwork by limiting the everyone can be a Jack of All Trades thingy and making it so only very few players can ever Master something.

Other than that I don't think this CAN be fixed. It's just what people do in MP. No matter how many incentives people are given to work together they will still kill each other. Save for some really roleplay heavy servers all zombie MP games will ultimately be one huge deathmatch session with zombies.

Save for roleplayers nobody cares about surviving for months, building communities and generally, for "living" in a game, they just want to go in, play for a few hours, cause some mayhem and quit.

Yes I do agree with you, and I cannot wait for the overhaul, if what your saying is true, then it will make it so that players need each other atleast a little bit more. Ofcourse it is not possible to fix the killing on sight, I think that there is no need to remove it as such, since it is over all a part of the game, it should just punish the one who kills the other player by making the killers gameplay harder, even if it's by a tiny bit.

Yes I do agree with you, and I cannot wait for the overhaul, if what your saying is true, then it will make it so that players need each other atleast a little bit more. Ofcourse it is not possible to fix the killing on sight, I think that there is no need to remove it as such, since it is over all a part of the game, it should just punish the one who kills the other player by making the killers gameplay harder, even if it's by a tiny bit.

That's the thing, it can't be made harder for those people because they don't care about long term survival, short term they will do just fine if it get's hard, they quit the game. The only way I could think of to really have the kind of gameplay you're looking for, where even the killers would need to think twice are roleplay sessions where people are not just the guy in front of the monitor but the character.

From what I heard, PZ has a pretty solid roleplaying base, I don't really know how it works because as a general rule I avoid MP games but maybe you should try one of the RP servers.

Public servers were, are and will forever remain completely broken deathmatches where people act like NPCs from grim dark past of Project Zomboid - shotgun carrying zombies with no sense of self preservation and little consideration for other people.

Well I do not want it to be over all role play, just so that if someone does go on a rampage they do get a penalty, or they should atleast make a config for banning players that die, like in minecraft there are 3 difficulty settings and 4th one is HARDCORE, where you have 1 life no respawns.

Well, there isn't much you can do.

The only way to actually make real progress in MP is to play on a public server with a few random people and a friend or two, but you can always play on a private server, which is what I do most of the time.

Well I do not want it to be over all role play, just so that if someone does go on a rampage they do get a penalty, or they should atleast make a config for banning players that die, like in minecraft there are 3 difficulty settings and 4th one is HARDCORE, where you have 1 life no respawns.

The next update (31) is supposedly going to work just on delivering that - an experience where killing another player will only grant you an easier access to the loot. It will be a tradeoff with a chance of failure - trade "2-5" pistol/shotgun ammo for a bag of very, very random items, including the "no items" at all, with a chance that you might get killed in a process and lose all your valuable goods and skill points.

Beside that, it will be much harder for you to level up any other skills like fishing, farming, building.. That means you won't be able to survive long-term without either co-operating with people that know how this stuff works, or constantly hunting and killing actual players on sight with a hope that they'll drop huge amounts of food. A great marksman with good shooting skills is going to be very valuable in any group that has made a great established safehouse with good defenses, because he will be the one who will fight off relentless and huge zombie hordes as well as hostile players.

tl;dr - "killing other people" really won't be the "easiest playstyle" with next update, hopefully.

Why not have an option for servers to be team orientated?  When you make a character you pick a faction like survivor or bandit and can only pvp with those in other factions.  There would need to be a division of spawn areas so new player do not spawn in enemy territory.  

It is going to be very difficult to have any meaningful co-op in a one-life game where it is relatively easy to kill other players.  There is no incentive to do much other than build forts and find ammo because your investment in improving your guy can be so quickly wiped out.  Maybe if guns were a little less deadly, then injured players would have a reason to rally back to base to get patched up.  It's a toughie.

Somewhat related to this, maybe an option where a killed player will immediately reanimate as a nasty kind of zombie that will have an attack with a  large change of infecting or even killing the killer, would be an possibility. This would make indiscriminate PK-ing for loot not really a viable playing option.

According to some of the relevant lore, the freshly reanimated can be much more dangerous than regular zombies due to the fact that their bodies are still more or less intact.

Maybe if guns where a little less deadly? 

That is just a amusing line.

You don't need to force players into a team, they just choose where to shoot. Its not a Team Deathmatch game.

Well, I specifically said add it as an option so no one would be forced into anything.  Those who want that sort of delineation could play on those type of servers.

As far as making guns less deadly, not sure why that amuses you so much.  People in actual gunfights have been shot a dozen or more times and survived with medical care, hell some have even made full recoveries.  People who have been shot five times have walked into the hospital under their own power.  Granted, those victims were mostly hit by pistol caliber rounds, but the deadliness of gunshot-wounds is often over-stated.

Yes I do agree perhaps the weapon as such damage could be adjustable in config file? Like 1.0 is defaul 0.5 is 50% damage from weapons.

And maybe just maybe, make the shotguns spawn less, and just replace them with pistols ? Which don't do much damage, also the shooting skill should make you shoot more deadly wounds on more accurately with levels?

Easy with PZ.

Just make the murderer of another survivor suffer negative "karmic effect" that comes around when starting another mp character. Give the offender some amount of invisible plus modifiers which then has to be countered with negative traits. Of course this will only have any meaning when traits are properly implemented. These points could carry on to subsequent games, cumulating negative karma, until the offender starts behaving.

This should lessen murderous behavior since excess negative traits could make surviving the next game pretty nasty. Given that griefers are pretty sorry bunch to begin with, I doubt they would continue harassing people for long.

Circumstances shouldn't really matter since killing another human being in such scenario could always be considered immoral, after all its the whole human race at the stake here. Even better of course if the game could recognize who actually starts the confrontation, making self-defence a viable option.

I'm not a multiplayer, and will never be, but thats my couple of, useless in post-apocalyptic scenario, cents.