Youtube Vs Twitch

RingoD123

Im going to be having a major rethink about my YT channel and its content/delivery soon,

Im thinking about switching to live streaming on Twitch with YT there just to post highlights/streams to after they've finished.

Let me know your thoughts on YT and Twitch, which do you prefer or use most? what do you like or dislike about either, positives, negatives etc.

I used to only do Youtube videos until I realized that Twitch can store old videos as well as stream (for some reason I thought they didn't). Twitch is kind of a pain at the beginning, but once you get everything set up it becomes easy. Twitch is also obviously a bit more computer unfriendly as (depending on your setup) you may need as many as twice the number of programs open (over just recording for Youtube). But if neither of those are an issue for you...

I've really liked the experience from Twitch in the past, so overall it gets my recommendation. The only other thing I would mention is that Youtube obviously gets much more exposure (although not necessarily from the gamer crowd). It's easier to get a bigger following on Youtube than it is on Twitch (if that's what you're after).

Look forward to seeing where you go with it! Keep us updated!

The only thing that annoys me about twitch content on youtube (or rather makes me paranoid) is how putting your twitch content on youtube may seem easy but its also strange as you're uploading content not recorded for youtube where half of your talk will be directed at people live at the time. Ive begun putting my chat in a small preview on all my streams incase its something I want to upload to youtube after.

Would love to see you on Twitch dude. I love my youtubers but tbh since dipping toes into PZ streams on twitch, getting to talk to people live, it does have much more of a community vibe, and being live with 'anything can happen'. At the end of the day you can have best of both worlds, record and stream live, then put any particularly cool stuff up on youtube, edited highlights. I'd deffo consider it.

Tooks point is a good on re: talking to chat, I guess it devalues watching streams later if the streamer heavily interacts with chat (which is when it's good) so some onscreen text would be a wise move.

Never liked twitch much

Youtube all the way

Well, I used to like Youtube but it just got worse and worse and now I really hate it, but most of us don't have a choice and we've just got to be on there. By that I mean video makers so they can become famous. There's Vimeo and Liveleak and all that, but they can't really replace Youtube so most people will just stick to YT. But now I'm glad there is an alternative, though twitch is only for gaming, but it works really great since gaming is their speciality.

I certainly watch youtube the most, but I'll occasionally watch twitch, and would definitely tune in if you're doing a stream.

How're you thinking of announcing your livestreams? as someone who doesnt visit twitch often (and is a twitterphobe) I'm usually only alerted to streams when i notice people post those mini youtube videos announcing them.

I certainly watch youtube the most, but I'll occasionally watch twitch, and would definitely tune in if you're doing a stream.

How're you thinking of announcing your livestreams? as someone who doesnt visit twitch often (and is a twitterphobe) I'm usually only alerted to streams when i notice people post those mini youtube videos announcing them.

You can get e-mail notifications if you sign up for a twitch account. Only from the people you follow though.

I've never used Twitch often. It does not work very well on my smartphone. :-)

As nasKo said, it's good to interact with people while playing. And the videos take longer.

But negative in my view is, that you are bound to certain times, if you want to use the possibility of interaction.

I don't know exactly, if one is able to watch videos on Twitch when they are no longer live.

I tend to give my affection Youtube. :P

Well I think a strong argument against youtube is that it's Google? Tried to respond to some dude on twitch but the chat wasn't working. Haven't come back since.

So you're arguing against both of those sites? That something is owned by Google isn't much of an argument, you have to prove your point instead. While I hate the way they have redesigned Youtube and channels (the previous one was bad but this one is even worse), they are really doing something right with the new version of Google Maps, but I guess that's another division of Google working on that.

I think I read somewhere about a program that would do an overlay of your twitch chat on your video. I can't remember where, but it would certainly be super helpful. I think I abandoned it because it was PC only- worth a look, though.

well im having a hell of a time trying to set up my channel on twitch, at first it pointed to Justin.tv, got the nice guys at twitch to change this over for me, but now anytime I watch a stream or my own channel it thinks im logged out so I cant even chat in others streams anymore or even edit my channel.

Their answer: delete cookies, browser cache etc and log in again, and "it only happens on chrome"

well I never use chrome, im an IE person (shame on me I know), tried deleting cache etc anyway and even tried using chrome instead of IE, no joy.

Now theyre saying "this issue resolves itself and we don't know what causes it".........

ah well, guess it will have to be left until "it resolves itself" :-/

Not a very good start Twitch.......

I think I read somewhere about a program that would do an overlay of your twitch chat on your video. I can't remember where, but it would certainly be super helpful. I think I abandoned it because it was PC only- worth a look, though.

I guess it depends what you're using to stream with? I use OBS for streaming and mIRC for twitch chat and have a region of mIRC setup on my OBS so chat is always on screen.

I dont know what other OS's are like, though

You can use mIRC for twitch chat?

Twitch chat is basically a weird version of IRC and its completely possibly to connect to your chat via mirc, yeah. Lemme know if you wanna know how and i'll pm you instructions

well I have finally got through the mire and now have my channel set up ready for streaming to commence (not tonight), I defo want to have my chat overlayed on my game window so ppl watching on YT know what im talking about.

Gonna look at OBS and XSplit in the next day or two, make a decision and work out all the kinks before streaming starts properly (probably do my first stream early next week or this sunday)

www.twitch.tv/ringod123

The thing about live steams is you have to be there and have the time to watch the whole, with youtube you can watch it whenever and stop halfway through if you want then comeback to it. I vote you keep doing what your doing with YT. 

The thing about live steams is you have to be there and have the time to watch the whole, with youtube you can watch it whenever and stop halfway through if you want then comeback to it. I vote you keep doing what your doing with YT.

Actually you can record your streams on twitch and people can watch them later there. And you can still post to YouTube as well. Best of both worlds!

Best of both worlds!

Whenever somebody uses that phrase, I immediately remember Hannah Montana for some reason...

STOP USING THAT PHRASE!

yeah, so ive done a test stream over the weekend, it saves to Twitch for people to watch later and it also allows you to upload your previous broadcasts to YouTube, which is exactly what ive done to test the process, only downside is it can look a little blurry on Youtube if your watching on fullscreen, and its only rendering across at 720p (because im only streaming to twitch at that), but to be honest, im sold on doing things this way in the future as it was all so painless and rather quite easy!

make sure to get yourselves over there and follow to be notifed about my next live streams(s): www.twitch.tv/ringod123

I think I might also start putting up announcement vids on YT a couple of hours/ 1 day before to let my YT viewers no when im streaming. What do you think is the best time scale on that? 1 day before I stream? a couple of days? just a few hours...... let me know your thoughts, and thanks!

:-D

I'd say the afternoon before you do it. You can stream to twitch in higher quality but that gets pretty CPU intensive. You can also set your recording program to stream to twitch and record to hard drive at the same time, but that's even moreso.