Better occupational traits.

MrZombifiedGamer

Okay, so I suggest better occupational traits. For example I had this idea of a survivalist occupation. But the survivalist would have access to certain building materials that other occupations wouldn't. Like specialized survival stuff, like being able to craft a primitive bow using wilderness things or being able to navigate better using nature or tell the time using the sun which others wouldn't be able to do (possibly having to find watches and in game maps.)

But why not do it for all occupations? Like construction worker gets a better trait that gives him options to better buildings right off the bat. Something not too OP but that lets him get a foot up in that area more so than someone who is of a different occupation? 

What does everyone think? 

It would be good for multiplayer I guess if certain professions had access to some skills\objects\crafting that are unavaible for 'normal' players, after all, if a "Medic" or some such occupation makes it into the game such character should have years worth of professional education on the subject of First Aid and should be better than 'Avarage Joe' can get. Both can get lvl 5 in First Aid but Medic should still have access to something unique otherwise in a long run professions would be only useful at start and be meaningless by end game.

It would create an incentive to form groups, and would even apply to singleplayer once NPCs are introduced Overall, I like it, good idea. 

Well as far as medics go I was considering medics being able to know what unknown pills do. For example, a normal person wouldn't know a pill out of its bottle is an antibiotic or if a pain killer was put in a bottle of antibiotics. Thus, gives reason to have medics in your team. 

But yeah, meaningless by the end game is my goal here. Because the medics can teach other non medics how to be medics etc. So over time of getting your skills up anyone will be able to have a medics skills or vise versa. 

Well as far as medics go I was considering medics being able to know what unknown pills do. For example, a normal person wouldn't know a pill out of its bottle is an antibiotic or if a pain killer was put in a bottle of antibiotics. Thus, gives reason to have medics in your team. 

I think there were mentions going around that medics (or whoever with high first aid skill) would be able to tell when to remove a bandage\splint or stitches safely.

What you propose would be rendered useless courtesy of wiki unless all pills had the same sprite or unless they would get randomized every playthrough which I feel would be silly. But then again, where I'm from all meds, prescription or not, come with precise instructions in the box Idk how it works in America. (Unless, like you say, one could put sleeping pills into painkillers bottle as a trap, then yeah, why not)

Edit: What unique skills could other professions have?

Construction Workers could build things faster and\or require a little bit less materials, or simply have their creations have more HP by default.

Well the security guard can have the ability to make noise traps which other classes couldn't have access to. But with the introduction of carpenter construction worker is tough. But carpenters and construction workers can both have special buildings only available to those two but different from each other. In other words both will have unique buildings unique to only them but they wont both have the same unique building.