How to Deal With Infection

Dama

So my question is how do I deal with an infection? Not the zombie infection but the infection of say a sliced arm while climbing through a window.  

I cut my arm climbing through the window of a building to see what was inside.  I cut it again climbing out and made the wound deep and got some lodged glass.in my wounded arm.  I didn't have medical supplies so I had to sprint over to the pharmacy (West Point) and quickly loot it.  My wound was infected by the time I was able to loot the place.  I did use some alcohol pads on my arm but is that the only thing I can do aside from the bottles of disinfectant?  Do I need to find some antibiotics (didn't see any at the pharmahug) or are those not in the game at the moment?

I love this new medical system and I'll be sure to keep a small first aid kit with me from now on to prevent such occasions.  

You can use the tweezer to get rid of the glass in your wound. Disinfect with alcoholic cotton balls, or craft sterilized rags from ripped sheets and the bottle of desincificant.

With level 2 in your medical skills, you will be able to stitch deep wounds with needle and twine, wich stopps bleeding instantly and speeds up the healing process.

Good luck survivor!

You can die, yes.  My experience with it was much like getting sick from another source:  Your nausea and anxiety go up over time as you feel worse, making it clear you are not feeling well.

You can disinfect the wound and the bandage both.  Monitor your health window to make sure the bandage stays clean.  Remove and replace if it gets dirty.  (You can wash the bandage if you have water in your inventory, then disinfect it and use it again.) 

Keep yourself as well fed as possible.  Every bit of healing bonus helps.

If your sickness moodles get worse, sleeping is a good idea.  I went through a lot of sleeping pills with a character that got really sick and was hitting the "you won't see tomorrow" type of level.  (An amount of pills that should have killed me on its own, but that's video games for you...)

When I get an injury, I carry extra disinfected bandages on me.  Then when I spot that the current bandage is dirty, I swap it out for a fresh one.  Then I clean and disinfect the other bandages back home.  Alcohol wipes are a good carry during this time so you can disinfect the wound each time you change the bandage.  (I am not positive it makes a difference, but I do it just to be safe.)

One side thing to be aware of with bleeding wounds:  Every time you remove the bandage, you drop blood splatters around you.  Don't change your bandages in the parts of your base you want to keep looking pretty.  My last bathroom looked like an abattoir.   :excl:

You can die, yes.  My experience with it was much like getting sick from another source:  Your nausea and anxiety go up over time as you feel worse, making it clear you are not feeling well.

You can disinfect the wound and the bandage both.  Monitor your health window to make sure the bandage stays clean.  Remove and replace if it gets dirty.  (You can wash the bandage if you have water in your inventory, then disinfect it and use it again.) 

Keep yourself as well fed as possible.  Every bit of healing bonus helps.

If your sickness moodles get worse, sleeping is a good idea.  I went through a lot of sleeping pills with a character that got really sick and was hitting the "you won't see tomorrow" type of level.  (An amount of pills that should have killed me on its own, but that's video games for you...)

When I get an injury, I carry extra disinfected bandages on me.  Then when I spot that the current bandage is dirty, I swap it out for a fresh one.  Then I clean and disinfect the other bandages back home.  Alcohol wipes are a good carry during this time so you can disinfect the wound each time you change the bandage.  (I am not positive it makes a difference, but I do it just to be safe.)

One side thing to be aware of with bleeding wounds:  Every time you remove the bandage, you drop blood splatters around you.  Don't change your bandages in the parts of your base you want to keep looking pretty.  My last bathroom looked like an abattoir.   :excl:

Hrm, I was under the impression that infections couldn't kill you in game........guess this is good info to know. I really do wish that the health panel though would show if you recently disinfected an area, as it can get confusing when you have multiple wounds.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't die from the sleeping pills, as those I know can defiantly kill you if you take a ton of them. The timer must be short on them though for the "taking too many at once" so that if you slept it was probably resetting.

Thanks for the replies.  I just kept using alcohol wipes on my wound any time I changed my bandage and stayed well fed and I survived the infection.

How did you not find antibiotics at the pharmahug? There's like 50 of every type of medical item there lol

Have you found antibiotics?  I looted the whole place and didn't find any.  

Thanks for the replies.  I just kept using alcohol wipes on my wound any time I changed my bandage and stayed well fed and I survived the infection.

How did you not find antibiotics at the pharmahug? There's like 50 of every type of medical item there lol

Have you found antibiotics?  I looted the whole place and didn't find any.  

There aren't antibiotics.  There are painkillers, but I've never seen antibiotics unless it's in a closed build or something.

I do wish we could make penicillin out of moldy bread or something.

But yeah, every time my negative-traited character got scratched, the only thing that saved me was a clean bandage and FOOD.  Without that healing bonus, the infection would have taken over.

Glad you survived it. 

Hrm, I was under the impression that infections couldn't kill you in game........guess this is good info to know. I really do wish that the health panel though would show if you recently disinfected an area, as it can get confusing when you have multiple wounds.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't die from the sleeping pills, as those I know can defiantly kill you if you take a ton of them. The timer must be short on them though for the "taking too many at once" so that if you slept it was probably resetting.

I guess I cannot say positively that you can die from an infection since that character only got to the level of the moodle basically saying "might not last the night" type thing, and then I finally started recovering. It certainly felt like game over though.

As for the sleeping pills, I've only ever taken them in quantity when I wanted to sleep over a few days to recover from something. I took one, tried to sleep. If I couldn't sleep yet, repeat. I think it was about four pills before sleeping again. You may be right that I survived only because the sleep period would lower the amount of drugs in the character's system.

You can use the tweezer to get rid of the glass in your wound. Disinfect with alcoholic cotton balls, or craft sterilized rags from ripped sheets and the bottle of desincificant.

With level 2 in your medical skills, you will be able to stitch deep wounds with needle and twine, which stops bleeding instantly and speeds up the healing process.

Good luck survivor!

Is there a list somewhere that shows what you can do at different levels in first aid?

I have found the antibiotic on a multiplayer server, but only found one in the whole time I played the game so I may have been lucky and got it through an unknown bug, I'm not sure.

The only way that I finally found antibiotic is when I set the item spawn in abundant. I used it once when I got sick by eating raw burger accidentally (always remember to rename your food next time, like calling a chicken meat a cat) 

• 1 month later...

Archived