The animation for the window smashing, got me thinking.  Add a running tackle. 

Efficiency

You NEED to wind up your hits to get the max efficiency.  So you should also have to build up speed to knock them down as well.  You won't aim with the mouse.  But you should still have to click the mouse to initiate the hit, at the right timing of course, as you run your character into a zombie or something.

Zombies/People.  You shouldn't have to stop your forward momentum every time you're trying to escape another pinch.  Just hit and run.

Doors.  Door ramming should be a thing.  It should be quicker to do, but more taxing on the body than a standard door kick would (but I'll get into that later).

Windows.  This, does not pertain to the big windows in the city, that go from the ceiling, down to the floor.  Just the windows above the floor.  Now, if you add the Running Tackle, you have GOT to add the Window Dive.  Just like everything else we could tackle, you would initiate it the same way. But only with the windows, the tackle sprite can be attempted, in the hopes to see it turn into a lunge sprite right through the window.  But ONLY if the attempt succeeded.  Otherwise, the window stops you at the tackle, and you'll look silly.

Big Wooden Fences & Big Windows.  Maybe you are strong enough to climb that big wooden fence, but your friend isn't.  Are you just gonna leave him there?  Or are you gonna risk your life to save him, and bust through that fence?  That would be a cool option.  And that would require a health bar for the Big ass-Wooden Fences (if it's not already existent).  And you should be able to bust through those Big Windows as well.

Runner Zombies.  The runner apocalypse would become much more manageable. 

Insufficiency

Obviously, we can't do ANYTHING, without suffering the negative consequences that follow.

Windows, Doors, & Big Wooden Fences.  More, obvious causes of bleeding and bruising, because of tackle and dive attempts that don't succeed.  And even the ettempts that DO succeed as well.

Clumsiness.  Improper timing of your tackles however, may have a chance of causing you to trip and fall over. Depending more on your Clumsiness, and less on your Luck.  But still, ultimately, Clumsiness & Luck.  But, you should be able to get better at it as well.

Extras

Door Kicking.  If you don't like the door ramming idea, get this.  It could be done almost exactly like my running Window Dive idea. But do a running Door Kick.  And the exact same ways we normally can choose to smash windows, let us use that for more door kicking. BAM!

Running Weapon Swing.  Just like the running tackle, we hold sprint, and left mouse click.  But maybe we could also hold the attack stance at the same time, and then left mouse click while a weapon is in hand.  Complicated I know.  But all people would have to do, is change the attack stance to the space bar, easy peasy.  But if not, maybe we could just hold the left click down for a bit, and then release while running.

Endurance.  More things through out the day should cause more physical pain, strain, and/or damage over time, of constant usage.  Like, Foraging, Farming, Capentry, Stoneworking, Metalsmithing, Engineering, Cooking, Tending a Fire, Shooting, Swinging, Hitting, Kicking, Pushing, Ramming, Diving, Landing, Climbing, Swimming, Running, Walking, Sneaking, Standing, and even just Sitting can cause more pain.  Some of it can be helped.  For example, rapping a lace or some tape around the handle of a weapon, can help to cause less pain and strain in your hands (and maybe even help with the weapon's durability).  Or, simply picking the couch over the floor, will cause less pain in you ass and back.  But, all of it can be built up to tolerance and calluses over time.  So while you're leveling up the skills and attributes for the actions you take most often.  You are literaly building thresholds for the body parts you've been using and abusing the most.  Allowing those parts to tolerate more pain and withstand more damage.  To a reasonable extent of course. 

And, same thing goes for Mental Endurance.  Like, you panic enough times, you start panicking less.  You kill enough living people, and you'll eventually stop feeling so nauseous every time you do it.  And instead of panicking, you'll eventually get used to it.  Then there's only two ways to go from there, you either learn to fear it, and/or you learn to love it.  No wrong way.

But I am so fucked up right now.  And I love you all, PEACE!

I like this idea of leaping through windows...but it should cause scrapes and bleed damage.

Also, if you try to jump through a barricaded window, there should be a hilarious sprite for that.

Precisely, lots of bleeding, depending on what you are wearing.

And, that's also what I was say about failing the Window Dive.  Instead of it turning into a dive sprite and you lunging through the window, you just tackle the window, and that already looks funny.  But, succeeding at a dive would cause cuts and scrapes, and failing would cause cuts and bruising.

not really sure just what benefit this would  have, why it would be fun, or even why anyone would even attempt such a thing.

sounds like a great way to get a deep cut across your scalp, neck or possibly the throat though.

Zombies/People.  You shouldn't have to stop your forward momentum every time you're trying to escape another pinch.  Just hit and run.

Great idea, never thought about this one.  Strange, since running for my life is like an everyday occurance in Project Zomboid.  If you timed a running strike perfectly, I think you would only hit your target with the same force as a regular, standing strike.  It's all about physics, but I don't think this is a good forum for the physics of weapon strikes (that would be PZ General).  The upside would be that your still trucking after you've struck, which is key.

not really sure just what benefit this would  have, why it would be fun, or even why anyone would even attempt such a thing.

sounds like a great way to get a deep cut across your scalp, neck or possibly the throat though.

Windows aren't made of knives, friend.

I wouldn't recommend Door Ramming in real life, it could lead to injuries and it's not really effective when you're trying to break in.

Breaking-Doors.jpg

Tried this for the heck of it, foot went through cheap door. Thx internet.

You didn't kick it in the right spot, did you?  I'm imaging that fire-fighter kicking through the door like you did.  And then, the Backdraft blows his leg off. Good times.

Great idea, never thought about this one.  Strange, since running for my life is like an everyday occurance in Project Zomboid.  If you timed a running strike perfectly, I think you would only hit your target with the same force as a regular, standing strike.  It's all about physics, but I don't think this is a good forum for the physics of weapon strikes (that would be PZ General).  The upside would be that your still trucking after you've struck, which is key.

Hell yeah! You know what's good.

so?  glass cuts, simple fact.

Yeah, but you're not gonna get THAT badly cut jumping through.  Unless you're naked or something.  You're acting like I've never jumped through window before, friend.  The leaping is not the worst part.  It's the landing, and after the landing that will REALLY fuck you up, friend.  It's falling on the glass, and the glass falling on you that really sucks.  The key, is learning to land properly.  On your forarms and feet.  Allows you to get up faster, and keeps your belly and face from hitting the ground.  So I know, it's doable, friend.  But I also know it would be extremely irrational to jump through every window I come across.  This is the type of thing you'd use as a last resort.  So don't knock it if you haven't tried it, friend.

My buddy got drunk once and decided that breaking a window with his fist is the best idea of his life the next thing we had to do is transport him to a hospital so they could stitch 3 deep cuts on his arm.

Windows are not made of knives, until they are broken, after that they become made of RAZOR SHARP KNIVES

Yeah, but you're not gonna get THAT badly cut jumping through.  Unless you're naked or something, friend.

don't know where you get your information from, but you can certainly get cut up jumping thru a window.....Friend.

wow, look at all those sharp, jagged edges that easily slices up weak human skin.

again, the simple FACT is that glass cuts. period.

someone doing something as stupid as jumping thru a standard pane glass window, especially head first, will run the risk of getting sliced up. argue with me all you want. then go to an ER and ask the doctors there whether or not i'm right.

Yeah, but you're not gonna get THAT badly cut jumping through.  Unless you're naked or something, friend.

don't know where you get your information from, but you can certainly get cut up jumping thru a window.....Friend.

wow, look at all those sharp, jagged edges that easily slices up weak human skin.

again, the simple FACT is that glass cuts. period.

someone doing something as stupid as jumping thru a standard pane glass window, especially head first, will run the risk of getting sliced up. argue with me all you want. then go to an ER and ask the doctors there whether or not i'm right.

You wear more clothes, duh.  And why would you send your head directly into the glass?  You're supposed to put on a leather jacket, and cover your head with with your now covered arms.  And don't get all antsy with me because you've got a lack of a sense of adventure, friend.  Plus, we have got to stop debating, it's wasting space.

I wouldn't recommend Door Ramming in real life, it could lead to injuries and it's not really effective when you're trying to break in.

Breaking-Doors.jpg

Tried this for the heck of it, foot went through cheap door. Thx internet.

You didn't kick it in the right spot, did you?  I'm imaging that fire-fighter kicking through the door like you did.  And then, the Backdraft blows his leg off. Good times.

I went a good 6-8 inches toward the center, that poor door.

I think maybe this got a bit two serious.
Two things come to mind.

1) When you see someone jump through glass in a movie it is always a substance called "sugar glass" which doesn't turn into scalpel-sharp blades during the process. Don't try at home, unless you really want an ER visit. I have a huge scar on my hand from a pint glass exploding while I was hand-washing some dishes. Ten stitches and I didn't even put pressure onto the broken piece - just sliced like a projectile when it shattered.

2) I think the point of this post is perhaps akin to the notion of sprinting in the game. It gets you away, but early on it is a good way to get mobbed and killed. I think there are a lot of behaviors that should be included because people WOULD do them and they would likely get themselves killed for the act. This game doesn't have an end-state, it is about simulating the 1001 ways to die in a zombie apocalypse. Your score is the amount of time you survive! Giving the player more options that are STUPID and would likely result in death - things people do when they panic - only deepens that experience and goal. How many times will you jump through a window? Probably only the one time when you end up looking as though you just took a bath in a blender. But, are there cases where it MIGHT BE the best option? Like if the house is on fire and zed is pouring through the only other exit? YES. Then I would jump through a window.

I've given survival scenarios a lot of thought.  Probably too much thought, since I'm most likely never going to be faced with a true fight or flight death scenario involving zombies.  However, with all the scenarios I've day-dreamed about... "what would I do if the zombies attacked me here in this (train station, office building, friend's house, club, church, children's bounce-plex, etc, etc)..." I have never, never, never thought that diving face/butt/foot first through a glass window was the best option any kind of option at all.

Back in the day at school, my brothers friend was pushed through a window. He got a gash from the centre of his hand right up to midway to his elbow. It was deep, really deep. He cut tendons and muscles, his arm was ruined. For a long time, he lost the feeling that part of his arm and also lost a lot of motor function in his hand. He still has problems today but it's got better over time. He was wearing a shirt, a school jumper and a coat when it happened.

You could argue he was unprepared and didn't tuck in or do some other crazy dive you've seen on movies, but like Syfy said, real glass in real windows has no problem going through skin, or most clothes. It's harder, sharper and the long pieces around the edge of the point of impact are lethal. It ruins people's day basically.

Two things come to mind.

1) When you see someone jump through glass in a movie it is always a substance called "sugar glass" which doesn't turn into scalpel-sharp blades during the process. Don't try at home, unless you really want an ER visit. I have a huge scar on my hand from a pint glass exploding while I was hand-washing some dishes. Ten stitches and I didn't even put pressure onto the broken piece - just sliced like a projectile when it shattered.

2) I think the point of this post is perhaps akin to the notion of sprinting in the game. It gets you away, but early on it is a good way to get mobbed and killed. I think there are a lot of behaviors that should be included because people WOULD do them and they would likely get themselves killed for the act. This game doesn't have an end-state, it is about simulating the 1001 ways to die in a zombie apocalypse. Your score is the amount of time you survive! Giving the player more options that are STUPID and would likely result in death - things people do when they panic - only deepens that experience and goal. How many times will you jump through a window? Probably only the one time when you end up looking as though you just took a bath in a blender. But, are there cases where it MIGHT BE the best option? Like if the house is on fire and zed is pouring through the only other exit? YES. Then I would jump through a window.

See?  We can agree on something.  Besides, it doesn't REALLY need to be in the game.  I just thought it would be a fun idea.  And the rest of you debating me, REALLY don't need to get all butt hurt just because I have fun ideas.  I'm sorry.

Two things come to mind.

See?  We can agree on something.  Besides, it doesn't REALLY need to be in the game.  I just thought it would be a fun idea.  And the rest of you debating me, REALLY don't need to get all butt hurt just because I have fun ideas.  I'm sorry.

I appreciate the spirit of the idea mrwaddell!

Regardless of whether or not it is a good idea in RL, I think we should have more options like this in game. Specifically more options that are usually bad ideas. As someone mentioned earlier, somebody is going to do it in game.

I once ran down the main street in WP blasting my shotgun in the air to attract every zombie nearby. It was not a good idea and I was left to deal with the consequences. Which, in part, I think is a vital part of this game.

The more ways we have to die, the more likely it is that we'll stupidly pick one. If we're smart and well prepared we'll never have to jump through a window after all.

Cheers for the idea that would only make this game more interesting!

I can envision it now *I am running down the street in PZ playing MP and a player dives out a window shattering the glass in the process. Behind the player zombies start pouring out of the house, and all the nearby zombies hear the glass break and start converging on the house too. Now I'm stuck with the fact that zombies are pouring in everywhere, and I had nothing to do with it! Just because some idiot jumped out a window. Fuck.*

And the rest of you debating me, REALLY don't need to get all butt hurt just because I have fun ideas. I'm sorry.

The only one who sounds "butt hurt" is yourself. People are allowed to disagree with your opinions and explain their reasons why.

I like some of the other ideas you have. Being able to hit zombies whilst moving makes sense. Kicking doors, cool. I really like the idea of your character tripping over, especially if they were panicked. I can see myself screaming at the screen "GET THE F UP!! THIS IS NOT THE TIME!!"

Two things come to mind.

I appreciate the spirit of the idea mrwaddell!

Regardless of whether or not it is a good idea in RL, I think we should have more options like this in game. Specifically more options that are usually bad ideas. As someone mentioned earlier, somebody is going to do it in game.

I once ran down the main street in WP blasting my shotgun in the air to attract every zombie nearby. It was not a good idea and I was left to deal with the consequences. Which, in part, I think is a vital part of this game.

The more ways we have to die, the more likely it is that we'll stupidly pick one. If we're smart and well prepared we'll never have to jump through a window after all.

Cheers for the idea that would only make this game more interesting!

I can envision it now *I am running down the street in PZ playing MP and a player dives out a window shattering the glass in the process. Behind the player zombies start pouring out of the house, and all the nearby zombies hear the glass break and start converging on the house too. Now I'm stuck with the fact that zombies are pouring in everywhere, and I had nothing to do with it! Just because some idiot jumped out a window. Fuck.*

Thank you.  I'm glad I can still make wheels turn.  Because that is Genius.  I didn't even think of that.  More options, mean's more possible mistakes, means more ways to die.  I am in love with that idea.  Good collaboration (I say, "Team Work," and then we high five.).