Help us ! The official PZ Translation !

Hello everyone :)

PLEASE READ THIS : I'm not really update this thread anymore, I prefer read the specific language thread :)

Contributors :

- RoboMat (German) : Main screen / Traits / Professions (100%).

- Lakorta (German) : Items (100%).

- Dahugo (German) : Survival Guide (100%).

- Addy (German) : Moodles (100%).

- Tuto (German) : Context menu (100%).

- Houy Gaming (German) : Farming (100%).

- Hans A. (Norwegian) : Main screen / Traits / Professions (100%) ; Moodles (100%) ; Survival Guide (100%) ; Items (100%) ; Context Menu (100%) ; Farming (100%) ; Recipe (100%).

- Marmotte971 (French) : Main screen / Traits / Professions (100%) ; Survival Guide (100%).

- Peanuts (French) : Moodles (100%) ; Context Menu (100%).

- Nyoshi (French) : IG_UI (100%) ; Recipe (100%) ; Tooltip.

- CareBearCorpse (French) : Farming (100%).

- Penedus (Portugese) : Main screen / Traits / Professions(100%); Moodles ; Survival Guide ; Items.

- Kalamar (Spanish) :  Moodles (100%).

- Danny-Dinamita (Spanish) : Main screen / Traits / Professions (100%) ; Survival Guide.

- Pagoru (Spanish) : Items (100%).

- RetardedUser (Spanish) : Farming (100%); Context Menu(100%) ; Recipe (100%) ; Tooltip (100%).

- MehShotgun (Indonesian) : Main screen / Traits / Professions.

- Leolvanov (Russian) : Main screen / Traits / Professions (100%) ; Moodles (100%) ; Survival Guide(100%) ; Items (100%) ; Context Menu(100%) ; Farming(100%).

- Zache51 (Swedish) : Main screen / Traits / Professions. ; Moodles.; Survival Guide ; Items.

- PsychoEliteNZ (Afrikaans) : Main screen / Traits / Professions ; Items ; Survival Guide ;

- Vittor (Brazilian) : All (80%).

- Simone Volpini (Italian) : All (70%).

- Adios_1984 (Polish) : Main screen / Traits / Professions(100%) ; Survival Guide(100%) ; Moodles(100%) ; Context Menu(100%) ; Tooltip (100%) ; Farming(100%).

Upcoming :

- In game contextual menu text,

- In game UI screen (health panel, skills...).

So, let's get into it, I've wrote a system to translate PZ, I'm currently finishing to add the different text needed to the file.

What I need there is some people from different country who could translate the game, so we can add this translation in the main game, you'll be credited in game AND in the translated file :)

Just answer on this post, and I'll keep the OP updated with the names of people helping us :)

If you're ok to translate some stuff (I'm not asking that ONE person translate everything, it's a tough and long job to do alone :)), it'll be cool if you could PM me what file you want to translate.

Now, how it works ?!

Pretty easy, you now have new folder named Translate in media/lua which contains various file like Moodles_EN.lua, UI_EN.lua etc...

In this file, we have stuff like that :

Moodles_EN = {
    -- Moodle type :
    -- Endurance
    Moodles_endurance_lvl1 = "Moderate Exertion",
    Moodles_endurance_lvl2 = "High Exertion",
    Moodles_endurance_lvl3 = "Excessive Exertion",
    Moodles_endurance_lvl4 = "Exhausted",
   [...]

}

So, what you have to do is just make a new file named Moodles_ES for example, copy everything in the Moodles_EN inside this file, rename the first line Moodles_EN in Moodles_ES, and now you can translate :)

You're not forced to translate the whole file, just tell me who's making what, and I'll keep a trace here.

If any sentence is not translated into the specified language, we gonna search for the default language sentence (English).

This works for both Java and Lua strings.

Some sentence/text can't be translated (like "Last Stand"), so please, just remove them from the .lua file, or let them so maybe someone else could translate them :)

Once the translation is done, I'll add it in the game.

And then to change the language, you'll have a language combo box selector in the option panel, a reboot is necessary after changed the language :)

Please note that it's still in W.I.P. and some texts could be truncated, I also maybe forgot to add some texts to translate, please don't hesitate to PM me what I missed :)

Anyway, thanks to everyone reading this and for helping us ! :)

Cheers !

Just a quick note on this - we're talking translations for in-game systems and whatnot currently.

We'll figure out what to do with NPC dialogue, the K&B tutorial etc. later down the line.

(It might be best left to individual modding teams, as there'll be a HELL of a lot to translate)

Just a quick note on this - we're talking translations for in-game systems and whatnot currently.

We'll figure out what to do with NPC dialogue, the K&B tutorial etc. later down the line.

(It might be best left to individual modding teams, as there'll be a HELL of a lot to translate)

Sure, we'll see what to do with the NPC dialogue.

Also I'm working on a system to translate the name of the items (items.txt for example) without having to edit the items.txt files (all in lua, again).

I can help with the german translation of course.

Special chars in german would be:

ä = ae

ö = oe

ü = ue

Don't worry. ;)

I've talked with Romain about the special chars.

But you forgot one. The ß or also called sz.

But I suggest Romain, that it shouldn't be sz. (Flusszulauf)

Maybe szz or s1 is good for that.

ä = ae

ö = oe

ü = ue

Don't worry. ;)

It is commonly transliterated as 'ss' for ex. in swiss high german (schriftdeutsch)

ä = ae

ö = oe

ü = ue

Don't worry. ;)

It is commonly transliterated as 'ss' for ex. in swiss high german (schriftdeutsch)

That is right, but there still are words that also use the 'ss', for example the word "Schloss".  

If you want to distinguish between 'ß' and 'ss' you would have to use something like 's1' for the 'ß' so it doesn't get mixed up. 

ä = ae

ö = oe

ü = ue

Don't worry. ;)

That is right, but there still are words that also use the 'ss', for example the word "Schloss".  

If you want to distinguish between 'ß' and 'ss' you would have to use something like 's1' for the 'ß' so it doesn't get mixed up. 

OK,  maybe I misunderstood, I thought we could translate it using the native alphabet, but characters not in the standard english alphabet would be automatically transliterated to english characters.

Uh, it looks complicated.

And by complicated I mean - It's hard to imitate Russian letters with english mainly because we use completely different alphabet ._. (Cyrillic)

Will there be any problems if I fully translate the game into full Russian mode letters, or will it be clunky and weird as the PZ's fonts don't support Cyrillic?

Uh, it looks complicated.

And by complicated I mean - It's hard to imitate Russian letters with english mainly because we use completely different alphabet ._. (Cyrillic)

Will there be any problems if I fully translate the game into full Russian mode letters, or will it be clunky and weird as the PZ's fonts don't support Cyrillic?

I guess it´s only ascii atm, since as far as i remember lua doesn´t really have unicode support.

i'm also native german speaker (austria!!).

so if roboMat needs some help, i'm here :)

robomat I can help u too, we did something like that with nachtfischer in the past but there was no system for our translation (even translated dialogue) 

Thanks guys, but I only translated the UI file ... just send a PM to Romain and see if there are other files to translate :)

So special accented letter support is (going to be) in 2.9.9.17?

This is important for 90% of other languages.

Cyrillic would be incredibly awesome for the (fairly huge) russian PZ community (who is kinda let down by having a hard time purchasing the game atm if I may add :P)

ä = ae

ö = oe

ü = ue

Don't worry. ;)

OK, maybe I misunderstood, I thought we could translate it using the native alphabet, but characters not in the standard english alphabet would be automatically transliterated to english characters.

Okay then, I could take over the Austrian (not Australian) translation.

In we use different words like instead of Hähnchen Hendl.

if there is some german left - im a nativ german speaker (deutschland)

@RobertJohnson

to take a slight unspoiled look into the future of npc dialogues - what about accents/dialects? And are there different types of survivors who may speek like a nerd, gangster, vegetarian who can't see blood or like an army veteran?