"Multiplayer Hidey-Holes"

sspeck

*  The ability to "dig a small hole" with either a trowel or spade and put 50 units of gear inside.  Perfect for hiding your good loot when leaving your base for extended periods.  Honestly i'm suprised that I didn't see it mentioned earlier...  You could even stash below a floor tile and/or give people a search ability...  Just thought it was worth bringing up.

I would like there to be the ability to dig as well for various reason - pit traps, root cellars, concealed bases. I just don't know if the engine handles -y information.

I think that cellars/underground are a confirmed yes from the devs so the map is at some point gonna be expanded downwards, but I'm not sure how hard would actual digging, i.e. changing the map itself, be to implement.

I would like there to be the ability to dig as well for various reason - pit traps, root cellars, concealed bases. I just don't know if the engine handles -y information.

I think that cellars/underground are a confirmed yes from the devs so the map is at some point gonna be expanded downwards, but I'm not sure how hard would actual digging, i.e. changing the map itself, be to implement.

Yes they are!

[y]    Sewers and basements

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting-unofficial/

I don't know about allowing the players to construct underground though... I think it would probably be really hard to balance. 

This topic was brought up awhile back, but it didn't seem to bear any fruit.

I was thinking for when NPCs and multiplayer are added, sometimes rather than thief prevention and guarding, it is easier just to hide the important stuff, therefore I suggest a hidey hole. It is a hole that can be dug where there is grass or on a floor level of a building (under the wooden floors), then put a storage crate inside it, then covered in such a way the only way to possible know it is there is to have been shown it was there (or dumb luck I guess, but it is still extremely unlikely it would be found the only time I could think it could be found by looking is if you have 'eagle eyes' like me in rl, where you can spot just about anything from anywhere even if it is small and far away, requires exceptional eyesight though, the vast majority of people just can not do it). I think this would avoid a ton of unnecessary frustration, because if you get robbed all the time the game is no longer fun.

Edit 1: if a hidey hole is empty, it would also be nice to be able to hide in it in an emergency, but be careful about it, if you are caught hiding in a hidey hole, you are almost guaranteed to be dead.

I like the idea, though, and would definately use it to hide stuff from NPC's/Players

Well, you can always do the false-wall construction to create a hidden cache?

Take your house/main base...

Take a room (say, the bathroom) and rip off it's walls. Then build a new wall with a window in it. Curtain the window to give the impression it leads outside. If you climb through the window you're actuall inside the concealed room. You'd have to know it was there are really pay attention to the layout to notice it. Especially if you plaster and paint the wall.

That was just an example. You can refine it as necessary for how clever you anticipate your opponent to be. For instance, take your kitchen. Knock out all of the "bar" elements and fixtures. Build, plaster and paint a new wall across the space they used to occupy. Rebuild your bars. Build a window that faces the actual barricaded window to the outside on the REAL wall. Now your false wall is only offset by 1 tile, has the window in the right place and has bar elements where they should be.  You climb through the window into what amounts to a corridor. Put a crate and shelves in it, and you have "hidden storage" for goodies. Also an interesting place to hide and mount an ambush.

If I have time today, I will try to build this and take a picture just to see if it is viable. Right now it is just a concept I haven't tried, but an example of how to (potentially) use existing mechanics to do what this post is suggesting (somewhat).