Accidents with tools

Talksintext

I like the idea of accidents when using tools.  But, if you took it a step further (kill you before endgame)? What if you were chopping trees with the same axe that you used to kill zombies?  Shouldn't there be a chance of infection if you cut yourself?  Or infecting someone through pvp with a dirty weapon?  :shock: 

Why not have a chance for the trees you chop down crush you and then explain it as your character going to Prometheus school of running away from things? Or you destroyed a wall of some random house and went in, congratulations! You now have roof tiles lodged in your brain, better have those tweezers at the ready. Cutting vegetables? Randomly "Fresh Finger" item appears in inventory, DANGEROUS UNCOOKED!

Why not have a chance for the trees you chop down crush you and then explain it as your character going to Prometheus school of running away from things? Or you destroyed a wall of some random house and went in, congratulations! You now have roof tiles lodged in your brain, better have those tweezers at the ready. Cutting vegetables? Randomly "Fresh Finger" item appears in inventory, DANGEROUS UNCOOKED!

I may not have had a good laugh like this for quite a while, talk about extremes. :-D

As far as the suggestion originally goes, little accidents would be okay, I think, as in scratches, bruises, everyday mess-ups, but I don't think there should be an instance where they could randomly infect or kill you, since there would be no chance of you avoiding those, punishing players by a slap for doing something reckless(working while fatigued, exhausted etc.) will, in a game like this, be tolerated, but shooting them in between the eyeballs for cutting down a tree is a rage-worthy death.

I may not have had a good laugh like this for quite a while, talk about extremes. :-D

As far as the suggestion originally goes, little accidents would be okay, I think, as in scratches, bruises, everyday mess-ups, but I don't think there should be an instance where they could randomly infect or kill you, since there would be no chance of you avoiding those, punishing players by a slap for doing something reckless(working while fatigued, exhausted etc.) will, in a game like this, be tolerated, but shooting them in between the eyeballs for cutting down a tree is a rage-worthy death.

I was joking about the trees, and yeah, I wouldn't mind an added penalty to working while tired, drunk or generally in a condition that people do not work under. When tired it should be possible to hit the wrong kind of nail with a hammer or cut oneself when playing with a knife (Fresh Finger Stew, anyone?).

Yeah nothing major. A minor fracture at most to the thumb. I just feel like this fancy new health system really isn't getting used much. Usually if you get attacked by a zombie, you're either fine or dead. Otherwise there's just broken glass.

I'm completely against getting injured "randomly" by doing repetitive actions (grinding). That's like a pasive negative ability. Fun factor equals zero.

I get it, the objective of the game is killing us, but I sincerely hope that the dev team can find ways of doing this in a way that doesn't feel cheap. I'm forced to chop hundreds of trees to get to a point of being able to craft a water holding recipient. I can't see a reason to make that process even more painful. 

I just feel like this fancy new health system really isn't getting used much. 

More injuries and ways to get injured are surely needed. I don't mind the intruduction of minor wounds that act as a handicap, but not incapacitating you from actually playing. 

I have the feeling that, since Zombies are not dangerous enough at the moment, we are crunching our brains looking for ways to make our lives harder (but not the game more fun!!). If half of the effort that we are deviating to these ideas was put on boosting Zombie AI and group behaviour, I'm sure we wouldn't need to be thinking about trees crushing our foot once in a while!

I like this idea only if the work is being done in a dangerous manner - in the rain, while exhausted, intoxicated, terrified, or feverish. Penalty shouldn't be any worse than a broken window cut.

This would be a great reason to add Safety Equipment to the game. Work gloves, eye protection, hard hat. Safety Equipment could also speed up your work time and let you build faster.

Yeah, I vote for the "injuries only when doing work impaired" option. Random chance of injury while doing things that are practically mandatory does not for good game design make. Random injuries while doing things in hazardous but for the most part avoidable conditions is a better option. Should I finish building the wall? It's raining so I could slip and have an accident, but those zombies won't keep themselves out.

How about an option for playing as homer instead of average joe?

attachicon.gif1358bzr3z2.jpg

Just kidding.

The points have been made. When working impaired at most.

With a pencil stuck in your nose or something like that.

That's actually not a bad idea. We need more negative traits that actually have negatives to them. "Easy drunk" isn't exactly a drawback when you never have to drink.

For myself, I've already had a job site accident.  I accidentally chose "climb through" instead of "close window" while on the second floor of a house I was converting into a safe zone.  Fractured my lower leg!  It was a bone head accident that was completely avoidable.  If unavoidable accidents strike at random, then I might as well just treat this game as a fishing simulator (with zombies)

For myself, I've already had a job site accident.  I accidentally chose "climb through" instead of "close window" while on the second floor of a house I was converting into a safe zone.  Fractured my lower leg!  It was a bone head accident that was completely avoidable.  If unavoidable accidents strike at random, then I might as well just treat this game as a fishing simulator (with zombies)

On a long enough timeline, this game is a fishing\farming simulator with zombies already :P

I'm not sure I'm in with the idea of random injuries .... however .. here's what I do like ...

Task Failure while Tired / Exhausted
if you're too tired to be doing work .... it's very reasonably that you may fail to accomplish the task you were working on

then you have to start over .... maybe you accidentally destroyed some crafting components

I am adamantly against any sort of random injury when using tools! Injuries should be avoidable by being careful and calculated with one's actions, just like in RL.

I would, however, like to see injuries with tools based on reckless actions by the player. For instance: working while exhausted, drunk, or stressed, working in the rain, working at night without light, carrying heavy loads up and down stairs in the rain or at night without light, etc. Or if you ever try to climb a sheet rope overburdened. If you tried sprinting while over burdened you should have a chance for a broken ankle or injured back. While cooking if you take a burning item out of the oven, you should get burned unless you equip a dish towel (as an oven mitt). Injuries like these would be realistic and immersive.

Getting randomly injured for no reason would piss me off beyond believe and I would probably rage quit the game.

By being careful and only working when you are in safe conditions and in the right state of mind, you should be able to avoid injuries. Especially since we are only using hand tools.

I feel it should be dependent on the players choices. Such as using a hand made ax to cut a tree may result in a simple ax split or something causing a minor injury. or using a butter knife to get watermelon chunks. Its really had to do that.. Anyway make it so it depends on what the player is using and since there stupidity they suffer from a result. Seriously though, don't attempt that watermelon thing, Its dangerous...

• 3 weeks later...

Count me in for the negative-moodle related injuries!

In real life, if I'm very hungry, thirsty, over-exerted, and looking over my shoulder to see what that noise was, I'm probably going to cause myself some harm working on that perimeter wall...instead of feeding myself. But, people don't usually sustain accidents in ideal conditions, so the random incident generator would really just piss everyone off.

At any rate, I do imagine this occurrence being a sandbox option...

I've suggested a similar idea when the new medical system was implemented. Even without a zombie apocalypse houshold accidents are very common. However, the likelihood of accidents should be associated with negative moodles (e.g., panic, exhausted, drunk) to give the player a chance to prevent them. I also think they shouldn't be limited to the use of tools, but also include other actions like climbing over fences when you panic could lead to a sprained ankle.

This does remind me about how you can use the same rolling pin/ frying pan to murder innocent zomb's and then decide to make a lovely meal- and yet your not infected when making food with them.. 

I see your point, especially with the rolling pin, but I just like to think that since I cooked the food (dangerous uncooked) that it burned away any virus/zombie infection.