Things in the game that need to be cleaned up.

Jack Bower

While content is continually be thrown at us, it is very important that the game developers do not forget that a lot of content is really rough at the moment and should probably be addressed before you start releasing more problems.

Here is a list of things that pretty much should obviously be added to the game but have not been added because ??? they should probably be hotfixed in they are so important but neglected.

• Glass in windows not being removable.
  • When you stand on stairs you should be able to only see the top step so you don't just step out into void and instantly die.
  • Winter being incredibly cold while also having no appropriate winter / rain protection items. This is the biggest thing that makes the game feel unfinished imo. Being freezing cold in full cloths and not having the ability to put on more clothes over the clothes or find clothes that actually keep you warm enough.
  • Saved character file reloads - Perhaps make this a server option to turn it on, but it pretty much makes cheating the standard.

I don't know but I think these are all problems with the game that should be addressed before we get like a double sized map.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an Umbrella item in the game scripts (does not work) so I guess something is planned about protection from weather conditions.

The second one should definitely be adressed, hell, stairs in general can be a death trap.

In RL I could not initially get the Certificate of Occupancy for my house because the insurance inspector did not like that we didn't have a banister on our staircase. Stairs are a death trap :P

Some very good points, especially about the lack of winter clothes. Would make outdoorsman occupation more tempting for those not wanting to wear the appropriate gear, while adding another element of finding the winter gear. Also agree with the stairs issue, even if we don't see what's on the top step (eg zombies) as long as we can see it we won't be going blind into a potential grief spot! Another thing I would like to see updated is the tent. Maybe a way to shelter in it without sleeping. This would help in multiplayer when caught short in a storm in the middle of nowhere. Also with the new exhaustion system, it could help you on long journeys where you need to run a lot.

Some very good points, especially about the lack of winter clothes. Would make outdoorsman occupation more tempting for those not wanting to wear the appropriate gear, while adding another element of finding the winter gear. Also agree with the stairs issue, even if we don't see what's on the top step (eg zombies) as long as we can see it we won't be going blind into a potential grief spot! Another thing I would like to see updated is the tent. Maybe a way to shelter in it without sleeping. This would help in multiplayer when caught short in a storm in the middle of nowhere. Also with the new exhaustion system, it could help you on long journeys where you need to run a lot.

Not sure if you can use tents to rest, but if you can, that would be an excellent way to make it into an on-demand shelter.

• When you stand on stairs you should be able to only see the top step so you don't just step out into void and instantly die.
  • Winter being incredibly cold while also having no appropriate winter / rain protection items. This is the biggest thing that makes the game feel unfinished imo. Being freezing cold in full cloths and not having the ability to put on more clothes over the clothes or find clothes that actually keep you warm enough.
  • Saved character file reloads - Perhaps make this a server option to turn it on, but it pretty much makes cheating the standard.
I don't know but I think these are all problems with the game that should be addressed before we get like a double sized map.

1) Planned but won't happen until there's sprites to represent it properly.

2) It's about the only effective trap in the game right now.

3) Winter doesn't actually harm the character right now for this reason. It just slows them down if they're not near a fire or indoors. The temperature formula itself is a bit . . . off.

4) Yes, it should be option, but sometimes it's the only way to recover from a crash, or prepare yourself for one. Makes it sort of invaluable, even if it is a cheat.

As to priorities: as always, different people work on different things and may complete their goals faster than others. Thus, a map coming out before a pet peeve is tweaked doesn't indicate anything.

You can trap people with rope ladders and just being clever. Some traps are good because they are psychological but the stair trap is just cheese and isn't even really satisfying. Take that stupid PoS out of the game please. If the developers feel so strongly about traps add wooden spikes that if people fall on them they die.

*Edit* Poisoned food in a box at the entrance of your base is probably also an effective trap, anyone who enters your base will eat your food and die because nobody has the cooking skill or knows about poison because it is just one of the many unknowns nobody has any idea about.

You can trap people with rope ladders and just being clever. Some traps are good because they are psychological but the stair trap is just cheese and isn't even really satisfying. Take that stupid PoS out of the game please. If the developers feel so strongly about traps add wooden spikes that if people fall on them they die.

I can't help but imagine some places in PZ looking like this right now

Img02.jpg?quality=0.7

Yeah that reminds me, allow us to paint actual text onto signs so we can leave actual real messages for people that some guy won't just pick up and run off with.

It isn't that I expect the changes to happen immediately it is just messed up that when I play the game with people I know they wonder why some of the same problems have existed for like two years.

As for the comments about defending saved files, sometimes characters need to be lost to persevere the integrity of your game. This game is an RPG and if you can instantly create a max level character with items and then go around and kill people / rob sky bases with absolutely no repercussions because you can just reload your maxed out character.

What do you think kills more players, people crashing and due to bugs they lose their character or some guy with 5 sprinting and 5 accuracy running around on whatever is the highest pop server at the time.

You guys worked hard to protect your game from cheaters, don't let a stupid thing like this just go by.

Yeah that reminds me, allow us to paint actual text onto signs so we can leave actual real messages for people that some guy won't just pick up and run off with.

You guys worked hard to protect your game from cheaters, don't let a stupid thing like this just go by.

I think the original answer is still the best answer - play well administered White List servers that don't allow cheaters or grief players. There was just an article on Kotaku about a guy who was using grief tactics in Star Craft 2 on a Zerg player. It really doesn't matter what game you play or how much money developers pour into stopping this type of abuse. It happens in any game open to the Internet public. Best to just avoid the rabble altogether in my opinion, and play with good players.

I don't disagree with your rough around the edges items list. But they seem only a minor issue unless playing on an open public server. Public PvP isn't really Zomboid's strength in my opinion. So it makes sense that these issues would be lower on the list of priorities.

• Bag Stacking - Oh my love how I shall miss you, one may stack bags into bags forever and create a super heavy bag. So you can fit your whole base into a stacked hiking bag. I know it is amazing, it lets you fit someone's whole base into your inventory with one raid. But it is also inappropriate. </3

• Bag Stacking - Oh my love how I shall miss you, one may stack bags into bags forever and create a super heavy bag. So you can fit your whole base into a stacked hiking bag. I know it is amazing, it lets you fit someone's whole base into your inventory with one raid. But it is also inappropriate. </3
Though it's related specifically to medical bags, it should apply to others:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/tracker/issue-1206-first-aid-kit-inception/?gopid=3664#entry3664

The only thing I will throw out, is that while I agree the items on your list do need to be cleaned up, I wouldn't say it should come before a double sized map.  The only reason being that one doesn't negate the other.  IE, unless The Indie Stone was a single person, you likely have multiple people with different skills.  So having someone who is doing the map does not necessarily mean the other devs aren't working on different game elements.

It is similar in some other games i have played, where the art team may release upgraded graphics.  People complain they don't want upgraded graphics at the detriment of other features.  But the other features aren't something the art department works on anyhow.

I find this an interesting nuance of the game actually.

Basically when Im looting houses now, I never close the window and always 'curtain' all houses in the immediate vicinity

Thing is, you dont want zombies to smash windows, it does make it more risky that zombies could just climb through, but you never want a window to be smashed, it makes too much noise and would attract even more zombies.  Also, you dont want to be forced into jumping through a broken window..  so just leave them open :D

Also, climbing through a broken window is one of the few ways to get an injury right now,  Think I'd rather keep it the way it is for now :D

But I suppose the 'Realists' out there would argue "Hey, I could easy use my bat to remove broken glass in *real life* so why cant I in game?"

xD

But I suppose the 'Realists' out there would argue "Hey, I could easy use my bat to remove broken glass in *real life* so why cant I in game?"

xD

As a realist myself, I go even further! 8-)

Why can't I put some gloves? Why can't I use some cloths to wrap my hand on it before removing the glasses? Getting injured becase you are in a hurry makes all the sense in the world. You are choosing the less of two evils. Getting injured because once that window is broken you have no way of removing the glass... not so much sense :)

Or If you use the largest sized window you can't open it so only way to drop rope ladder is breaking it and then I'll get cut every time I enter / leave base.

A deterrent to using a sheet rope? Well now I kind of don't want to advocate for the cleaning glass from window frames.

Wait, you mean large picture windows? Guess you could just not use unopenable windows.

Tired Glass in window frames? Those pesky doors all seem locked? Sick of walls constantly standing between you and where you want to be? Your enemy barricaded himself in his impenetrable fortress? Then maybe, just maybe, the ALMIGHTY SLEDGEHAMMER is exactly what you need. Loot one from your local hardware store TODAY!

Or If you use the largest sized window you can't open it so only way to drop rope ladder is breaking it and then I'll get cut every time I enter / leave base.

A deterrent to using a sheet rope? Well now I kind of don't want to advocate for the cleaning glass from window frames.

Wait, you mean large picture windows? Guess you could just not use unopenable windows.

I know its a joke, but let me take the opportunity to say that some kind of fix for the sheet rope should be implemented. Let it be that you cannot use it when over-loaded... Or give those sheet durability... or whatever.

Safe-house balance would only be possible when we cannot build in the middle of the air, and when we get some kind of "con" from the sheet ropes. These two problems together are an invulnerability card.  

xD

Why can't I put some gloves? Why can't I use some cloths to wrap my hand on it before removing the glasses? Getting injured becase you are in a hurry makes all the sense in the world. You are choosing the less of two evils. Getting injured because once that window is broken you have no way of removing the glass... not so much sense :)

Why can't I just open broken windows? Just because the glass is broken, it does not mean that I can not lift the window frame and open the window. I should be able to do this from the inside with little to no risk of injury. From the outside I would be able to reach in and unlock the window. This would have a chance of cutting you if the glass shards were still in the frame.

I know its a joke, but let me take the opportunity to say that some kind of fix for the sheet rope should be implemented. Let it be that you cannot use it when over-loaded... Or give those sheet durability... or whatever.

Safe-house balance would only be possible when we cannot build in the middle of the air, and when we get some kind of "con" from the sheet ropes. These two problems together are an invulnerability card.  

I love the idea of a sheet rope breaking if you are over weight or have too much weight in your inventory.

xD

Why can't I just open broken windows? Just because the glass is broken, it does not mean that I can not lift the window frame and open the window.

Could be two things:

a) the sash(es) have been damaged to the point they're wedged in the window

b) it's a fixed window; it was never meant to be opened.

Chances are a. is what they're going for with "permanently locked" windows; windows that were humped-at but then "broke," forcing you to break them if you want to get inside. But yeah, it's not totally realistic.

I'd rather see stairs fixed so sky bases are not inaccessible death traps, they are just inaccessible.

Don't think that's totally possible . . . the most I can think of is making the top square immutable, so people can't build on or destroy it, or if they do destroy the top square, the entire staircase is destroyed. Feels a bit weird.

I suppose the simple work around is to take your own supplies with a sledgehammer and just build your own staircase.

Siege_tower.jpg

I'd rather see stairs fixed so sky bases are not inaccessible death traps, they are just inaccessible.

Don't think that's totally possible . . . the most I can think of is making the top square immutable, so people can't build or destroy it, or if they do destroy the top square, the entire staircase is destroyed. Feels a bit weird.

I suppose the simple work around is to take your own supplies with a sledgehammer and just build your own staircase.

Rooftop bases need some work anyways, because smashing the stairs and removing the sheet ropes when your not around is pretty op (although you could always sit there and build stairs into their base). I would like to see something more realistic, like ladders, for people (and most importantly NPCs) to get into your base.

Ladders could actually be a very nice addition, a mobile way to get access into rooftop bases. Otherwise you can be perfectly safe in your base forever (unless their willing to burn the entire thing just to spite you).

xD

Well, there are no gloves in this world yet.  So that answers the first one. ;)

Using cloth.. yea, I usually keep sheets in my pack and yes you could indeed remove broken glass with a weapon easily.

Its just that, you could use real-life examples to effectivly nerf the game back to pre v30,  people argue a whole host of survival things should be added because they are possible in real-life.  Winter Fishing, Trenches, Food Preservation, but all they effectivly do is make the "Game" easier..  Instead of playing the game and over coming these puzzles and challenges.. lets just petition the Developer to make it easier! 

Broken windows are one of the last, non-zombie related dangers in the game, all be it a minor one, and it just makes me sad to think players even want this minor puzzle to be removable.

How about... lets make breaking windows MUCH harder, instead one hit? (Double glazing?) Lets increase the chance of getting a cut, lets make those cuts be more dangerous..   lets make smashing a window MUCH louder.. like.. gun shot loud..

I think making more challenges to overcome would be more fun that simply removing them.