How Strong are doors?

ChosunOne

Hey All, 

I'm not sure if I have stumbled on a bug or if doors are just pretty strong, but here is what happened:

I started a new sandbox game and decided to put zombies on sprinters and number on insane to see what it was like.  I must say that seeing a sprinting horde of zombies Left 4 Dead style to be truly horrifying in project zomboid.  I spawned in west point and after gathering some items opened my door and began running for my life.  I ran northward to a shack on the lake and slammed the door behind me as a horde of zombies was following.  There were probably around 4 or 5 zombies banging on the door so I expected the door to come down within a short period of time, but after about 8 hours it seemed like they weren't making any progress.  I explored the room a little (all the while zombies banging on the door) and found that if I jump out the window into the water I .... well.. stand on the water Jesus style. 

But after about 12 hours my character started getting hungry so I ate some chips and kept waiting for the end, for the door to go down and the zombies find me standing on the water (I can't move away from the shack) and break the window and eat me.  But the hours passed, my character got hungry again, and I kept waiting.  Three days later my water runs out (I had brought a full cooking pot) and the zombies are still banging on the door (without interruption).  I eventually dehydrated to death (ironically while standing on the lake). 

So the whole point of that story is:  how strong are doors?  Are they supposed to hold off the horde for a week or did I happen to find an unbreakable door? 

I noticed that bashing down one door required a significant amount of time and left me Moderately Exhausted even if I tried first thing in the morning with a crowbar. It takes me an entire day to knock down three doors (between resting). Doors seem like their hit points are too high.

But after about 12 hours my character started getting hungry so I ate some chips and kept waiting for the end, for the door to go down and the zombies find me standing on the water (I can't move away from the shack) and break the window and eat me.  But the hours passed, my character got hungry again, and I kept waiting.  Three days later my water runs out (I had brought a full cooking pot) and the zombies are still banging on the door (without interruption).  I eventually dehydrated to death (ironically while standing on the lake). 

Some legends say that the zombie is still bashing away at that door to this day.

I went to sleep once (in-game, I never sleep irl, lol) and awoke to find some walls gone, some stuff like closets and possibly the fridge not around anymore, and with a broken leg and some scratches. Needless to say I was surprised but during sleep I did see my health being "fiddled" with, and I did hear banging sounds. I have no idea how I survived. I didn't know how to mend a broken leg at that time so I restarted, but what happened always puzzled me.

Well I remember back in the day of hand drawn sprites and old west point with that fabulous resturant and 9 story apartment building and those pesky alien-like zombies that actually posed a challenge, doors were knocked down quite easily with one zimzam. The noise would attract more zimzams you couldnt flimflam that knock the door down in like 4 hours. I miss those days.

Bump cus' we never got an answer really.  How strong are doors against zombies in the long run?

I haven't witnessed any zombies breaking down doors either.  But I think there a difference between their breaking windows script versus just sort of banging their heads against doors and windows.

One zombie won't hurt a door, two zombies won't hurt a door. But I did see a group of them smash up every door and window in a house at least a few times, hell, once I went to a house I never tried to loot to find a ton of doorknobs on the ground.

Archived