Gutrot - Vacation Islands (pre-Alpha 1)

Thuztor

I've decided, that everybody, who wants to test the map can do it now.

I would be pleased, if you could give a feedback (if it doesn't works; Oddities in buildings, which I've overlook and so on)

NOTICE: There are a lot of features, which doesn't work in this map with my own textures, for now.

for example:

- dig / farm / everything what is related to the grass-textures

- a right item distribution of the rooms

- Change of season / correct weather

- A proper tropical vegetation / no erosion / no vegetation growth

- taking / placing of my objects

But I hope, you have a bit fun testing my map. :)

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5x3a2u5mk6kqbn/Gutrot_Island_PRE_TEST1.zip?dl=0

Put the folder in your /Users/YOU/Zomboid/mods

Activate the mod in the main menu!

atMyBaywatchTower.thumb.jpg.da25942687089469d30723c88ae1fd00.jpg

20210530201335_1.jpg

20210530201536_1.jpg

Edited by Thuztor

With Thuztors permission, I have added this map to the PZ Map website:

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/?desc=VacationIslandPreAlpha1L0

Enjoy :-)

I was just wondering with that map, you can overlay dreadwood and bedford falls so you can see which direction to go to each one.. Is the New Denver and Vacation Island able to be overlays aswell so you can have all of them in one map? I would say TWD prison aswell but it was small enough to just put in any open field really.. 

I was just wondering with that map, you can overlay dreadwood and bedford falls so you can see which direction to go to each one.. Is the New Denver and Vacation Island able to be overlays aswell so you can have all of them in one map? I would say TWD prison aswell but it was small enough to just put in any open field really.. 

Theres no ocean in Kentucky and New Denver is in Canada.

In theory, I could overlay Vacation Island, but it's located at 17x3+2+2, which is WAAAAAAAAY to the "west" (top left) of the map, so there'd be no point in this.

I could overlay New Denver, need to calculate the offsets first...

Wait why can't you fish?

The original water textures will be needed for fishing.

And this texture don't exist on my map.

Therefore I must rewrite the lua-script of fishing.

And if you could fish on my map, you would only catch fishes from Kentucky. :D

So... Does that mean players will eventually be able to fish?

So... Does that mean players will eventually be able to fish?

In future of course.

It's much work, so it could take some time, if every feature of the original game is implemented as tropical variant.

However, it is likely, that I insert the original version until it has been completely processed into a tropical version.

Does this one use the same map as the original?

I'm not quite sure what do you mean, but I will try to answer.

Maybe you mean the colors of the bmp creation.

Than no. ;)

Even the color for grass is different.

But you can probably use the Mapzoid to create a map with vacation island colors. But it's not up to date.

But unfortunately you can't edit the created map without the texture set, which I will release in future.

Does this one use the same map as the original?

I'm not quite sure what do you mean, but I will try to answer.

Maybe you mean the colors of the bmp creation.

Than no. ;)

Even the color for grass is different.

But you can probably use the Mapzoid to create a map with vacation island colors. But it's not up to date.

But unfortunately you can't edit the created map without the texture set, which I will release in future.

I meant the same layout as the original.

Ah okay, it's not exactly the same layout, but the structure is similar.

And there are no buildings from the old map, because the creation of building has changed.

I think he mean can you have the vanilla map AND this map at the same time?

And for that: It is possible, but it's extra work for me and it makes no sense, because the textures won't fit together in appearance, if the maps are close to each other.

In addition, normally the locations would be thousands of miles away from each other.

Moreover, my map does not exist in reality. :)

This is the island group as planned. Changes, however, are likely.

GutrotIsland.png

• 2 months later...

hello thuztor

i have recently been into mapping PZ and i have succesfully created my streetl ,buildings , a water tower and what not. All this has been simplified by reading your tutorials and watching your vids. awesome job and thank you for sharing what u have learned. I was wondering though is there ways to make custom textures and tiles exe. exterior wall colors , creating signs and other objects to place in map to make our towns/projects feel more like that particular town. and another question is there a way to open previously built homes through the building editor from the original game it would really save some time in work flow? once again thx for all the work u put in.

For your first question about custom textures: You can. And a good idea for a small video about custom textures. :)

I will try to record and upload it preferably quickly.

And your question about loading of original buildings in the editor: It's not possible, because The Indie Stone hasn't released the .tbx files of the buildings.

thx for the reply =)

ah man it would be great if you could post a tutorial!

pie in the sky thoughts.

but on the topic of tbx files, would it not be a good idea for mappers to submit tbx files on simple generic houses if each mapper even submitted a few per project. i can understand people put there time and effort into building, but even for me i would be happy to submit my more genric homes and keep my more custom for my personal maps. its almost like in the real world comercial resident builders kinda each have there own stamp cookie cutter housing models. think of the variety you could have to fill streets. seems like it could take days to fill one cell if you where to simply build each individual house from scratch than fill them with funiture and than tile in other tiles and than on top of that you have to structure the map itself with vegitation,pathways, roads.Lots of hours probably months. Do mappers in this community generally work on one project to themselves have there been projects where it was a group effort? i would like to get more involved personally.

thx for the reply =)

ah man it would be great if you could post a tutorial!

pie in the sky thoughts.

but on the topic of tbx files, would it not be a good idea for mappers to submit tbx files on simple generic houses if each mapper even submitted a few per project. i can understand people put there time and effort into building, but even for me i would be happy to submit my more genric homes and keep my more custom for my personal maps. its almost like in the real world comercial resident builders kinda each have there own stamp cookie cutter housing models. think of the variety you could have to fill streets. seems like it could take days to fill one cell if you where to simply build each individual house from scratch than fill them with funiture and than tile in other tiles and than on top of that you have to structure the map itself with vegitation,pathways, roads.Lots of hours probably months. Do mappers in this community generally work on one project to themselves have there been projects where it was a group effort? i would like to get more involved personally.

There are only a handful of map projects going on atm. I'd say half are more than one person and the other half are individual mappers who do it all themselves.

My Radcliff project strives to be a community project, but for me it's much harder to manage a group of people than filling out stuff myself and then giving others smaller stuff. That said I'm at the moment working with Valindil and our collaboration works really well for now. I do everything on the map side and make the outer frames of the buildings, then I send them to Valindil and he furnishes them. In addition to that, I take all buildings that are submitted and try to fit them on the map, where possible. Altogether I'd say I've done about 70-80% of the map myself and the other 20-30% is help that I've gotten.

And you're right, it takes days to fill a cell. But if you have an efficient system and 2-3 persons working, you can get 30-60 buildings per day and that'll fill a cell quite quickly and leaves some time for other mapping too. I've been working on Radcliff since March last year, although I did have a 3 month break. So yea, It's a long process.

If you want you can check my project and send (preferably PM) any extra buildings that you have. I'll see if they'll fit the style and alter them accordingly, of course only if you give the permission. http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7250-community-project-radcliff-beta-released-v02/

Oh oh! And welcome the forums!! We're always glad to have new faces with us. (clyde) (clyde) (clyde)

• Thuztor changed the title to Gutrot - Vacation Islands (pre-Alpha 1)