Port Forwarding Problems

b133d_4_u

I'm trying to set up a server, but I can't get the ports to forward correctly. I've followed the instructions to a tee, but it still isn't working. I've also tried Hamachi, but that didn't work either. Can anyone take some time to walk me through the process?

Well first of all, how are you 100% sure your port-forwarding is not working? Asking because the first time I tried to set up my own private friends server It didn't seem to work either, although the problem was that my friend was copying and pasting my IP address from steam chat, and that sometimes causes a phantom space character to be copied as well, and if you type a space at the end of an IP address into the game it won't recognize it and fail to connect. Make sure that's not the issue :P

Also make sure you are forwarding your ports using the correct internal IP;

If you go to Start and open the Command Prompt window, then type IPCONFIG, the IP you should be using is the one listed as IPv4 Address (in my case: 192.168.1.49). This is not only the IP you need to use when forwarding your ports, but also the IP you need to use when connecting to your server (either that, or type localhost where the IP goes).

Also as a reminder, you will need to open/forward as many ports as players you want in your server. However:

If your specific router allows you to type in a range of ports (Start and End [something like that]) then you do not need to add one entry per port. Instead you type 16261 as the "start" port, and say... 16265 as the "end". That'll be as if you had added 5 port forwarding entries but much simpler, although not all routers offer this.

Note: Also make sure the protocol for the entry of the forwarded port/s is set to both UDP and TCP.

Note 2: If your router does allow you to type in a range of ports, you will have a total of 4 text-boxes; 2 "start port" and 2 "end port". You need to type in the exact numbers in both "Internal" and "External" columns. So if you typed 16261 to 16265 under "External", you need to type the same 2 numbers for the "start" and "end" text-boxes under "Internal" as well.

Let me/us know if you've double-checked all of that :) Otherwise make the changes and see if things work!

Cheers!

The checking program says it is either cosed, or it can't be connected to. And in the instructions I read for forwarding ports, it says to set up a static ip to use as the internal ip. I'm not entirely sure what it actually means by that, but I'm guessing that it's an ip that doesn't change.

Nope, not really :/ Sorry.

If you've done everything to the letter, and double-checked the stuff I mentioned... I can't imagine what could be wrong.

Perhaps your firewall blocking the forwarded ports? Windows Firewall? I sort of figured you had also already checked that.

If it ends up not working, it could be your ISP being restrictive and not allowing port forwarding (or certain ports), too. 

In that case you'd have to ring 'em up and ask their tech support to either unblock said restriction or walk you through the process.

I had to do it, too :(
Turned out they will not unblock it because the modem they gave me is a router as well. Using it as a bridge to use my own router (but their modem) apparently isn't something they want, basically trying to force me to use their shitty hybrid.