Canning, Candles to refurbish jar lid

MrTrouble

Canning should be necessary to get through winter just like in "ye old time" Jar lids are basically waxed metal plates, so it would be make sense to be able to refurbished them with candles. As so candles and jars would become quite valuable and it would be good reason to force player to go scavenge even if they are able to farm.

Also, canned trout.

• 5 months later...

Still, should be a lot more jars than there are now,some already having lids on, I think. Otherwise, you end up with only 2-3 jars if you are lucky. I am not familiar with how much the jarred veggies restore hunger, can't seem to find it in the wiki. But I think you can't survive on 2-3 jars even for a month... And what is there to do when all unperishables are gone, you can't fish as there is a weird thing causing all fish everywhere to disappear, foraging/farming is a no because it's winter?

Still, should be a lot more jars than there are now,some already having lids on, I think. Otherwise, you end up with only 2-3 jars if you are lucky. I am not familiar with how much the jarred veggies restore hunger, can't seem to find it in the wiki. But I think you can't survive on 2-3 jars even for a month... And what is there to do when all unperishables are gone, you can't fish as there is a weird thing causing all fish everywhere to disappear, foraging/farming is a no because it's winter?[/quote

Hunting?

Still, should be a lot more jars than there are now,some already having lids on, I think. Otherwise, you end up with only 2-3 jars if you are lucky. I am not familiar with how much the jarred veggies restore hunger, can't seem to find it in the wiki. But I think you can't survive on 2-3 jars even for a month... And what is there to do when all unperishables are gone, you can't fish as there is a weird thing causing all fish everywhere to disappear, foraging/farming is a no because it's winter?

Hunting?

I'd be content with smoking, drying, and root cellar storage.

What he said. That'd be easier than adding wild thingies running around. Trapping isn't that profitable for me.

Wouldn't it make sense if you found jars of jam and mayonnaise and things that are already pickled? Most households will have that kind of thing.

Especially in some fish restaurants, there are usually things like pickled octopuses or whatnot... Not sure if there are any in that part of KY. I'd also assume farmers do some pickling, tho that might be only in my country =\

I can't speak to how common canning is in Kentucky, but in the part of the U.S. that I'm in, its fairly common. Just with in the small town I live in there are quite a few home-run canning operations producing sealed fruits, vegetables, and jams that are then sold directly to local stores from the growers themselves.

Canning should be necessary to get through winter just like in "ye old time" Jar lids are basically waxed metal plates, so it would be make sense to be able to refurbished them with candles. As so candles and jars would become quite valuable and it would be good reason to force player to go scavenge even if they are able to farm.

Also, canned trout.

Won't work for submersion canning, as wax melts at a much, much lower temperature than the gasket material used in one-use lids.

If you're talking about canning purely with wax, that's a different thing all together.

Also, canned trout.

Won't work for submersion canning, as wax melts at a much, much lower temperature than the gasket material used in one-use lids.

If you're talking about canning purely with wax, that's a different thing all together.

I just want to can my food and have it last decently long.