Help Support Identity!

Xydonus

Reminds me of those ArmA mods, Altis/Stratis Life, but being a dedicated game could be much better.

For years now, MMORPGs have lost their way.  What was once a genre about exploring and living in a new world has now become a treadmill to keep you playing the same game over and over again.

I really agree with this, basically what I always say when discussing the big MMOs.

Watches the video, looks very promising and also very high-quality graphics for a game that's only been in development a few months.

And while I'm also really agreeing with the sentiment of MMO's having lost their way and becoming little more than repetitive rollercoaster rides, I'm wondering how they will force the roleplaying aspect of everything. How will they stop immersion breaking 14 year olds running around shouting penis at everything?

I guess it could be monitored with admins and private servers, like they do in other roleplay-centric games, but yeah, I would like to know more about what they are planning for that before I put my cash there. I looked around but didn't really find an answer to that question.

EDIT:

Also, they say in the FAQ that "should we meet our goal here on Kickstarter, we'll have everything we need to ensure that Identity gets completed."

But in the comments they also say this:

"Sorry, I'll try to be a little more clear! Should we reach our goal of $150,000 here on Kickstarter, that won't be enough to develop the entire game but it will be what we need to begin fulltime development immediately. We have a few publishers who we're talking with now who can carry us the rest of the way, but ideally we'd love to be able to continue funding the project from crowd funding as it would give us more control.

You're doing both, really. By backing us here and now you're getting the ball rolling and giving us everything we need to continue to completion."

So, I'm guessing the Kickstarter money is to make enough of a prototype to approach and convince other funding options/seek more crowdfunding? Are they sure that those publishers they have contact with will carry them the rest of the way, and if so, why crowdfund at all? I dunno, I feel like I'm not entirely sure how they plan to spend the money and see this game finished. Maybe I missed something.

EDIT:

Also, they say in the FAQ that "should we meet our goal here on Kickstarter, we'll have everything we need to ensure that Identity gets completed."

But in the comments they also say this:

"Sorry, I'll try to be a little more clear! Should we reach our goal of $150,000 here on Kickstarter, that won't be enough to develop the entire game but it will be what we need to begin fulltime development immediately. We have a few publishers who we're talking with now who can carry us the rest of the way, but ideally we'd love to be able to continue funding the project from crowd funding as it would give us more control.

You're doing both, really. By backing us here and now you're getting the ball rolling and giving us everything we need to continue to completion."

So, I'm guessing the Kickstarter money is to make enough of a prototype to approach and convince other funding options/seek more crowdfunding? Are they sure that those publishers they have contact with will carry them the rest of the way, and if so, why crowdfund at all? I dunno, I feel like I'm not entirely sure how they plan to spend the money and see this game finished. Maybe I missed something.

Yeah, I found it suspicious when they were really lowballing their budget. Coupled with the fact that if they're looking for publishers, this isn't the way to do it. Should it get funded then the publisher kills the game, it leaves the paying customer screwed over.

This does look pretty awesome, maybe a bit too awesome to be true.

Kickstarter is enveloped in so much darkness that I don't trust it anymore. It's the same thing with Early Access.

The only reason I opted to support Project Zomboid is because those many years ago when I played it for the first time the game was already fun, and honestly aside from some bugs it felt like it was nearly finished; I grabbed the game and had a ton of fun with it, even watching other people play it. The fact that it has come to what it is today and that it's still moving forward at a very good pace is a great bonus :D but really, even if PZ were to die down today I've already had more than my money's worth out of it in enjoyment. -- Can't say the same about a game that looks more like an art piece than anything else.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here though.

Side note: I'm still waiting to see where Star Citizen is going <_<.

Cheers!

This does look pretty awesome, maybe a bit too awesome to be true.

Kickstarter is enveloped in so much darkness that I don't trust it anymore. It's the same thing with Early Access.

The only reason I opted to support Project Zomboid is because those many years ago when I played it for the first time the game was already fun, and honestly aside from some bugs it felt like it was nearly finished; I grabbed the game and had a ton of fun with it, even watching other people play it. The fact that it has come to what it is today and that it's still moving forward at a very good pace is a great bonus :D but really, even if PZ were to die down today I've already had more than my money's worth out of it in enjoyment. -- Can't say the same about a game that looks more like an art piece than anything else.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here though.

Side note: I'm still waiting to see where Star Citizen is going <_<.

Cheers!

Star Citizen was actually my first thought when seeing the video for Identity. The two games seem alike in how they both aim for very high visual realism. And they're both incredibly pretty games.

I've backed Star Citizen and had my fun sitting in my ship and making "vroom vroom" noises (yes, my ship makes those noises. Shut up.) before the arena module was out. I wasn't too fond of the arena module when it was first released, but I got hopes for the social module. I dunno, the game is just hugely nostalgic to me since I loved the Freelancer game and Star Citizen wants to potentially be the next step from there. But like with any other funding project, there's no saying if it will be realized the way the creators want/proclaim, or even at all.

With backing there'll always be the chance that you're flushing your money down the toilet, so I can understand why people don't want to do it. At the same time I think it's an awesome opportunity for people who want to stay independent, are loyal to their creation and their backers, and know how to plan well even for when crap happens.

If the Kickstarter for Identity had started say 2 or 3 years ago, I probably would have backed without blinking, despite finding it all a bit suspicious, since I love that kind of games, have always wanted to try them since my earliest gaming days, and am so psyched that anyone is making them. But right now, with games like Star  Citizen, DayZ, and other semi-realistic be-there-yourself games, my corner is filled - we've reached a point where there's not just one, but a LOT of the games I always wanted to play. So I'm actually really happy, and I love Kickstarter and similar platforms for this possibility, even if you have to know how to dodge the dodgey ones, and take the hit when a project fails.

So in short (this turned into a rant, sorry), I will keep an eye on where this is going, if nothing else then just out of my general curiosity in the market. :)

Im not saying that these guys will be unable to fulfil their goals, but its worth doing some due diligence before handing over any cash, as always.

These devs are the guys who made the mod for Arma 3, Altis Life. There was a big furore over at the Bohemia Forums as they had apparently "stolen" many different mod makers mods and bundled them in with their mod without permission or even any credit.

theres also a reddit page that scrutineses their kickstarter video, showing all the "scenes" for what they are, demo scenes/templates from unreal 4.

Again, not saying they are untrustworthy or will fail, that's for you to decide before you put any money down, but in my eyes, definitely one to be wary of.

tl;dr : Even if it's kickstarter succeeds, I have high doubts that the game will come out as enjoyable as they're portraying. 1) The plank is set too high for a developer studio of this size and this budget plan, 2) The game will monopolize the fresh market for this genre, lacking a competition that would push them towards making the product enjoyable.

I always believed that the idea of roleplaying MMO in a huge city with people going around everywhere is an interesting one and I've spent a lot of time in the past playing on the roleplaying servers of various online games (SA:MP, Arma 2, etc). They just seemed to carry out the idea of those servers into 1 standalone game, considering the market for those genres are still very new and I would not recall any actual game in existence that already does this.

And just like any product that "opens" up the market, I wouldn't trust these folks too much as all of their "ambiguity" will go down the drain once they realize that they can make their game however they want and people will still buy it because there are just no other games who does it better, or like this at all. Similarly (unfortunately) with DayZ Standalone - the idea of an MMO with survival game mechanics where people stand against each other in apocalyptic scenario was very new back in the day and done by very little amount of people (Minecraft is the only one I can come up with, but that one was hugely based on other things and that single aspect wasn't the main selling point anyway). DayZ came up on the market first, blowing up the sales rates for Bohemia's old game by ridicoulus amounts, which mainly helped them further develop Arma III.

But what state is DayZ Standalone in right now? As much as I adore Dean Hall and his ideas, DayZ wasn't fun for me at all, and I still can hardly find it fun. Maybe it's just me, guy who barely has friends to play games with, finds it boring, but so far DayZ has been one of the worst purchases out of every other steam game I've bought so far. There are many other DayZ clones that I admit I enjoyed way more than DayZ, which proves my point about asking people not to trust this game too much.

Edit: Another thing I'd like to mention that is purely my own, personal opinion about this : 

Identity most likely won't come out in good of a state as many would hope it would, but if the game is marketed well enough and actually becomes popular, it will set a foundation for more games like these to come out in the future. So if you like the idea of there being many more games that are solely based on roleplay of each citizen's lifestyle in an open, current-world scenario, you can back up this project on your own risk. By backing this project you're indirectly funding the birth of a market for this new type of genre.

But what state is DayZ Standalone in right now? As much as I adore Dean Hall and his ideas, DayZ wasn't fun for me at all, and I still can hardly find it fun. Maybe it's just me, guy who barely has friends to play games with, finds it boring, but so far DayZ has been one of the worst purchases out of every other steam game I've bought so far. There are many other DayZ clones that I admit I enjoyed way more than DayZ, which proves my point about asking people not to trust this game too much.

*Off Topic*

Dean Hall's popularity confuses me. He has yet to actually finish a video game, yet he's very popular within the indie circuit. I suppose it comes down to the fact that he kickstarted the whole zombie survival craze, which to be fair, he did. Before DayZ, mainstream zombie survival games were, well, none existent. Now look at the market! You've got tons of them, and most of them are completely rubbish, but DayZ did it first in terms of getting the zombie survival genre mainstream and making it popular.

My issue with the whole DayZ thing is that by the time DayZ Standalone gets to say 40% feature complete, I'm betting that Rocket will get burned out by it. He did it with the mod for DayZ that never progressed beyond its alpha stage, and it is the mods of the mod that make the original DayZ more fun. Every developer gets burned out now and again on what they're working on, and I foresee it happening here considering the snail pace that DayZ development takes place at. There's also their priorities which is messed up. Who cares about picking berries? "O great, they've added a new dress to the game! O look, a new type of hat! Yay!" .... Half the things that go in the patches just make me want to ... cry.

*OnTopic*

Anyhow, regarding Identity...

Im not saying that these guys will be unable to fulfil their goals, but its worth doing some due diligence before handing over any cash, as always.

These devs are the guys who made the mod for Arma 3, Altis Life. There was a big furore over at the Bohemia Forums as they had apparently "stolen" many different mod makers mods and bundled them in with their mod without permission or even any credit.

theres also a reddit page that scrutineses their kickstarter video, showing all the "scenes" for what they are, demo scenes/templates from unreal 4.

Again, not saying they are untrustworthy or will fail, that's for you to decide before you put any money down, but in my eyes, definitely one to be wary of.

So this is news to me...

I've done some digging around and it seems that these Aslyum guys indeed make the bold claim that Altis Life is 'theirs' while apparently Tonic, the original coder, is the owner to the framework, although he releases it freely, just not to any new one that might pop up. The issue concerning the stealing of assets is a bit... muddy. Apparently someone called Caiden (whose now banned from the forums) along with other parties are involved mainly with accusations going back and forth. No idea if the dev team behind Identity are associated with that, but they are most definitely WRONG in taking credit for Altis Life, and that alone has me loitering over my 'cancel pledge' button...

*Off Topic*

Dean Hall's popularity confuses me. He has yet to actually finish a video game, yet he's very popular within the indie circuit. I suppose it comes down to the fact that he kickstarted the whole zombie survival craze, which to be fair, he did. Before DayZ, mainstream zombie survival games were, well, none existent. Now look at the market! You've got tons of them, and most of them are completely rubbish, but DayZ did it first in terms of getting the zombie survival genre mainstream and making it popular.

My issue with the whole DayZ thing is that by the time DayZ Standalone gets to say 40% feature complete, I'm betting that Rocket will get burned out by it. He did it with the mod for DayZ that never progressed beyond its alpha stage, and it is the mods of the mod that make the original DayZ more fun. Every developer gets burned out now and again on what they're working on, and I foresee it happening here considering the snail pace that DayZ development takes place at. There's also their priorities which is messed up. Who cares about picking berries? "O great, they've added a new dress to the game! O look, a new type of hat! Yay!" .... Half the things that go in the patches just make me want to ... cry.

Still off-topic:

And just to clarify - I think rocket may already have abandoned the DayZ project, or at least stepped down from a top role.

He is (has) starting up his own studio, RocketWerkz, to work on a few smaller projects that might actually see the light of completion.

I also have to chuckle that he takes full credit as 'creator' of DayZ, yet as you say, I'm yet to see anything of his achieve a 1.0 release.

I think his popularity stems from the fact that he is the embodiment of what a lot of indie devs dream to achieve - A man from the army, coding in his spare time, produces something (albeit only in the modding scene) that harnesses worldwide attention, and lands him a job in a position he would have never dreamed of 5 years earlier.

The side we hear less about, is the dramatic change in his life - family, location, privacy - he pretty much went from a nobody to an overnight sensation. All the nobody, bedroom indie devs dream about that kind of success, and to do it on their own morals rather than sellout to things like IAP, MMO level grinding, and all else we despise about modern gaming.

He has yet to actually finish a video game, yet he's very popular within the indie circuit.

That is false, I have actually completed several video games in additional to a number of contract projects for video games, and multiple mods. I worked on two console titles (credited) and one (uncredited), both as a Producer, prior to leaving the industry and re-enlisting in the Army because I didn't like how the games were being made, or the games we were making.

It's not like any of that is a secret, either. It's even on my wikipedia page :/

Still off-topic:

And just to clarify - I think rocket may already have abandoned the DayZ project, or at least stepped down from a top role.

He is (has) starting up his own studio, RocketWerkz, to work on a few smaller projects that might actually see the light of completion.

I also have to chuckle that he takes full credit as 'creator' of DayZ, yet as you say, I'm yet to see anything of his achieve a 1.0 release.

I think his popularity stems from the fact that he is the embodiment of what a lot of indie devs dream to achieve - A man from the army, coding in his spare time, produces something (albeit only in the modding scene) that harnesses worldwide attention, and lands him a job in a position he would have never dreamed of 5 years earlier.

The side we hear less about, is the dramatic change in his life - family, location, privacy - he pretty much went from a nobody to an overnight sensation. All the nobody, bedroom indie devs dream about that kind of success, and to do it on their own morals rather than sellout to things like IAP, MMO level grinding, and all else we despise about modern gaming.

I like to think any "popularity" I have is because instead of knocking people, I use what "popularity" I have to promote other indies games without receiving anything in return. That includes project zomboid, which I very much love and like to think I do everything I can to promote it.

I worked in the industry, in and out, for many years before making DayZ. Much of that time was spent on the architecture of the "Hive" (the application that interfaces from the game to the database), and the database itself - which is my background.

You say you have yet to see me achieve a 1.0 release of anything without looking for or providing any facts. You don't know me, nor what I have done. You haven't even done basic research or you would have found some facts.

Instead, you have jumped on the usual bandwagon. That is what I avoid, and it's the reason I focus my energies on supporting others indies projects instead of looking for reasons to tear people down.

Edit: In case anyone didn't realize, I'm Dean Hall.

Additionally, I "left" DayZ because I was contracted. It's not my game, it was my idea and I licensed the idea to Bohemia then agreed to a year long contract to work with them to make it a game. I extended that contract twice. But living in a foreign country, living a temporary life, in a country that didn't speak the language literally on the otherside of the world for my family did not appeal.

After three years, there is no amount of money that is worth being away from my family and friends. I lived a temporary life most of my time in the Army, and I did not want to continue that trend in my return to video games.

I took the money I earned from DayZ and I'm using it to bankroll people who, like me, didn't have the resources to make their idea. Instead of inventing ways to hate on people - I'm trying to do something positive.

What are you doing?

Going to give a quick reminder to everyone here that being rude to other indie game devs isn't how we roll in this community. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but this isn't where we air out our grievances- especially considering how good a friend Dean Hall has been to our community and our devs.

Dean, apologies if you took offense from the discussion, I'm sure it wasn't out of malice (just misunderstanding).

If we could take the discussion back on topic please everyone, I'd much appreciate it. This doesn't need any more discussing from either side here. If anyone has any questions or further comments please PM me rather than posting here. Thanks guys.

Going to give a quick reminder to everyone here that being rude to other indie game devs isn't how we roll in this community.

I don't think anyone was being rude, unless airing opinions (which is done quite a lot on these forums) is the new norm for rudeness. I think Dean dropping in and lending his voice to the matter probably instituted a "O NO!" moment from the moderators... But I can see now that there is a 'DON'T CRITICIZE' label regarding DayZ and its development due to the relationship shared between Indiestone and DayZ :rolleyes:

And in regards to Identity; after contacting the devs behind Identity, it seems RingoD has confused Altis Life with ArmA 3 Life, as ArmA 3 life is the one that was hit with all sorts of controversial stuff.

You say you have yet to see me achieve a 1.0 release of anything without looking for or providing any facts. You don't know me, nor what I have done. You haven't even done basic research or you would have found some facts.

Instead, you have jumped on the usual bandwagon. That is what I avoid, and it's the reason I focus my energies on supporting others indies projects instead of looking for reasons to tear people down.

You're absolutely right.

As Xydonus says, most of the banter round here is personal opinion, and the knowledge (and ignorance) that comes with it.

I've not personally done any research to look for (large) projects you've released, and was just speaking from personal experience and what the media force-feeds us. (I didn't even know you were contracted by BI, I thought you were the big boss of the whole DayZ project - that was the impression I had anyway)

In fact, I'm kind of disappointed you took my post the wrong way, I had meant for it to be a 'Even rocket suffers from burn-out, he may be considered an indie-dev idol, but only for all the reasons given to us. There's a personal toll there too, and although we don't hear about it, shooting into the spotlight that quickly can often have overwhelmingly negative consequences' type post.

Kind of hypocritical of me, in hindsight, trying to expose the downsides to being primarily judged by how the media portrays you, yet doing so from my personal position of only knowing you for how the media portrays you.

Kia Kaha, Dean. Your popularity stems from your success as a little fish out there in the ocean (well, stuck down here on the same lump of rock as me), and not from how you've treated others along the way, but how modest you've been to yourself on the road to success - in my opinion anyway. It's probably just the Kiwi tall poppy syndrome though, right?

Then, as I'm typing up an apologetic response (because you never choose your words carefully enough when you don't expect the subject to ever read them) EG jumps in with his post, and I start mine all over again...

*OnTopic*

Anyhow, regarding Identity...

Not that I can speak to Dean and his enjoyment of DayZ, but:

Early Access is an opportunity for consumers to gain access to development builds as the title is created.

DayZ has been in principle development a little over a year now. We chose to give users the option to participate in the development significantly earlier than most any developer would ever allow. 

This does not mean the development time for the project speeds up, nor does it make the standard development cycle of 3 years for a project this size seem "too long". (It frequently ends up slowing it down a bit versus traditional closed development, as we do have to approach things differently when dealing with an active user base)

I'm sorry you haven't enjoyed your experience, but this is exactly what we have communicated to prospective Early Access users. This is not abnormal for this phase of a projects development. We just gave you the option, the choice - to gain access far earlier than you would have ever been allowed, prior to Early Access.

As I've mentioned prior, software development standard practices include a "bug bar" - As you progress with the core development of your base features many bugs will show up. Triage decides if the bugs are above the bug bar, only those that are get addressed to ensure the title launches and functions at a base level. 

Many times I hear folks complain that each dev build has bugs, or introduces new bugs, or might not address the specific bug that happens to be a thorn in their specific side. Suggestions come in like "stop making new features or content and fix all these dang bugs!" or "Just stop with all this new stuff, and make your game less buggy". Developing a title by following the suggested method of essentially "mastering" a build each time you go to do an update would drastically increase development time, and the time in between updates to stable branch. (In the case of the overall project, by years - in the case of stable updates, by additional months between updates)

While some issues do infact go above the bug bar (in the case of infected AI behavior), the work required to replace, redo, or re-engineer them takes extensive work and time (especially when your core engine is being created / rewritten / etc) - and cannot be "incrementally merged in". So just because the work has not completed and ended up on stable branch, does not mean it is not a priority one focus of the engine and gameplay programming teams. 

It is.

Well I've never played DayZ and have no opinion on Dean Hall, having never (knowingly) played any of his games or mods.

However, this Identity game looks awesome - the product described sounds like my ideal game, full of immersion, role playing and incredible depth.

That's what concerns me so much... it sounds too ambitious that I almost believe they can't pull it off.

What Karen spotted is also a concern: -

Should we reach our goal of $150,000 here on Kickstarter, that won't be enough to develop the entire game but it will be what we need to begin fulltime development immediately. We have a few publishers who we're talking with now who can carry us the rest of the way, but ideally we'd love to be able to continue funding the project from crowd funding as it would give us more control.

However, on the front page of the kickstarter, it says:

Should we meet our goal here on Kickstarter, we'll have everything we need to ensure that Identity gets completed.

They can't have it both ways... the front page now sounds a little disingenious to me.

So yeah, I don;t have enough confidence in the project to back it on Kickstarter - but if they pull it off and it's anything like the description, I'll buy it when it reaches 1.0 (or maybe early access).

BE LOVELY. Personal perspective and emotions coming up, can't say it's correct but it's something I've felt for a long while and I need to say something, because it makes me angry when people are quick to jump on dev knocking bandwagons like this.

Constructive criticism on DayZ is fine, we're not about moderating, but starting to make mean unwarranted comments in particular about a person or persons is not on especially when you should know fine well that the person in question is a fan of the game, and is likely to be around these forums. There may be a good reason Dean is 'very popular in the indie circuit', like for example those people have met him and don't just have the warped public opinion to judge things on. Was the same thing with Notch. The public hate train (or love train) for that matter is built on some crazy patchwork public perception of these people, and nothing remotely related to who they are in actuality. If you spent half an hour chatting to him yourself, in the flesh (something very easy to do since he spends a crazy amount of time at trade shows just talking one to one with his fans) you'd instantly know that he was making the right choice and had every bit of talent to deserve his success, regardless of whether he's technically seen a game through to completion or not.

Literally never met any other dev who it was clear cared as much about games or cared about his fans more. As for leaving DayZ before it being finished, it's clear as day to anyone who met Dean how much he cared, but DayZ was kind of a runaway train that blew up around him, and he was thrust into this position where the game was a million times more popular than he ever expected and he suddenly had the Eye of Sauron thrust upon him. I'm pretty sure he never asked for any of that and despite DayZ being literally thousands of times more successful than PZ I've come to realize we've been the lucky ones being spared the crap Dean's had to put up with.

We've all been about wanting PZ to be more popular, but Dean did nothing prior to DayZ's launch but try and manage expectations and curtail hype, wanting a quiet release so they could get the game finished, yet the hype train dragged everything along at light speed and then started bashing him about when lo and behold there's still work to do!

In short: Dean is literally awesome and inspiring, genuinely cares a huge amount about indie games, and has used his success to promote other indie games that haven't had the attention DayZ has. This is why he's popular in indie circles.

Brian Hicks and the rest of the team is full of awesome too and DayZ is in great hands. People forget it wasn't just Dean making the game. Dean has set train DayZ on the right path and we're all infinitely better off with him running his own studio (this is important because I bet he didn't have the freedom we enjoy since he was effectively working for someone else) coming up with new ideas and being a proactive member of the indie community as he has been than continuing on DayZ, and the public chipping away at him based on some caricature they have created who deserves some kind of dressing down is both completely unfair and ;isn't going to do anyone any good.

TL;DR - there's a reason he's popular with people who have met him. They met him. Then this kind of online circus just suddenly becomes so clearly ludicrous. His crime is the internet Eye of Sauron honed in on him. There are true Early Access villains around, and I'm sick of seeing Dean cast in the role as its completely undeserved.

Dean totally did the right thing, for DayZ, for him, and for indie games. End of story.

Next off topic post gets the thread locked, and a warning to boot. If you want to discuss your feelings about DayZ the game feel free to make another thread about it. I'm not moderating anyone's opinion, but this is off topic for the OP.

BE LOVELY. Personal perspective and emotions coming up, can't say it's correct but it's something I've felt for a long while and I need to say something, because it makes me angry when people are quick to jump on dev knocking bandwagons like this.

Constructive criticism on DayZ is fine, we're not about moderating, but starting to make mean unwarranted comments in particular about a person or persons is not on especially when you should know fine well that the person in question is a fan of the game, and is likely to be around these forums.

Lemmy: My (private) views on any particular other game, discussed privately between people I considered friends, are irrelevant. Only reason I've not publicly shared these points of view is exactly the same reason I disapproved of the comments in this thread. I never said anyone wasn't entitled to their own opinion. But yes, for knowingly breaking the rules of Special Infected and divulging information (which I've removed in this edit) and opinions shared in there on a confidential trust basis, literally the biggest betrayal possible for any member of SI, you're certainly entitled to a ban.