Constructions renew after carpentry skill growth

Vespid

Hi all

Just reached lvl 4 in carpentry and noticed that things to build look much better than the same things on carpentry lvl 2.

So, I just thought: Why do I need to destroy furniture an build it again(Double work!) when I'm so skilled in carpentry? I just want it to look better!

Here is my suggestion:

Add, please, an option to, lets say, "Renew" furniture, crates and wall sprites when your carpentery level allows it.

For e.g. in a half cost rounded. For example Crate cost 1 nail and 1 wooden plank. Nails and planks are indivisible, so 0.5 nail and 0.5 plank should be rounded to 1 and 1.

Something like that.

Thanks!

If the only problem you have with the current system is the material cost for knocking stuff down and rebuilding it, you should consider breaking stuff with an axe instead of a sledgehammer, it gives like a half of the materials back. As for the renewing... It's not quite realistic, it would take much less time and effort to build a proper wall than to try to make the abomination that you build with lvl 0 carpentry into one.

The main idea is to reduce number of clicks you need to do, not to reduce tools runout.

That's why I mentioned that such operation should not be free. It also should take some time and tools should lose some hp.

I hate the idea of rebuilding my walls, but I like the realism of it.

Realistically it is better to tear down an improperly built wall and rebuild it than it is to try to patch an existing structure.

I wouldn't be against reinforcing a poorly built wall, but it shouldn't look as clean or be as strong as a properly built wall.

On the topic, what about reinforcing walls by bracing them with planks or logs? Maybe a purpose for wood pillars? Angled behind the wall and stuck into the ground, they would enhance their resistance to masses pushing on them. Just like they used to do with Medieval Castle doors.

I also use log wall. It takes some time to build but looks great and solid.

if i told you to build a house the best you could with some wood and hammers then showed you how to do it better would the house you made before you knew how to do it better magically upgrade? i think not.  

I don't say about magic upgrade. You should take some materials, maybe new tools and do a hard work. Build a 'Monolith' house as well as 'Monolith' anything is a bad idea because lifetime of such item is limited by a lifetime of shortliving parts. Will you build new house once one of your floor plank break? Ofcource not. You'll take a hammer, nails and a new plank and replace broken one.

If you are skilled in carpentry then you could improve it and make your floor much better. It's not a rocket engine. It's just a piece of wood

You mean like redo the walls to make them better right? I am all for that. I made crappy walls at the beginning of the game for my shelter, then got surrounded by a horde. I couldn't do anything with a huge horde nearby. if i could just simply fix it, it would be much better than having to tear it down and then rebuild it. I also would like the option to reinforce walls somehow for the case someone else tries to get in.