How to use your controllers with Project Zomboid

Kevlar_29

Question

Figured I'd add this to the new forums, nice treat to see after coming back from 3 weeks holidays. Good job guys :)

I'm well aware all of this can be found googling, but it's easier just to have it here in one easy to find post. I've been updating this when people have made suggestions or found something wrong with it, so if you think I should change anything just let me know.

XBox 360 Controllers [Wired/Wireless]
[Wired]
This controller is probably the easiest to set up and use for PC and more than likely PZ. If you have one of these, chances are you've used it already with your PC, but if not here you go.

1. Firstly, you're going to want to install the drivers for the wired controller. The best way to do this would be with the installation disc that came with the controller however if it didn't come with one you can download it here
2. Next plug the controller in, go to start>run (or windows key+r) and type 'joy.cpl' without the quote marks. If you installed it all and connected it right, then you pressing any buttons should pop up here.

[Wireless]
For this, you're going to need an XBox 360 Wireless Controller USB receiver, you can pick these up online, I'm not sure whether GameStop still stocks them. Microsoft's site that sells them is broken so don't even bother. With this, you can connect up to 4 controllers however making it quite handy

1.  To use the wireless receiver, you'll need to install the drivers again, this one is slightly easier as its plug-and-play, meaning it could be as easy as just hitting 'Install the software automatically'. If the new hardware wizard popped up, then you're good to go. If not, install the drivers manually from here.
2.  Now, it's time to connect the controller, turn the controller on using the guide button, press the sync button on both the controller and the receiver. (The sync button on the controller is on the top of the controller beside the left button.
3.  The lights will stop flashing when it's connected and you can use it the same way as the wired controller.

PS3 Controllers
This is a little bit trickier as there's no built in support on windows for PS3 controllers, however, it's nothing any of you using the test builds can't handle ;)

To do this, you're going to need to download and install the drivers/config software from here (if you have any trouble, mirror here ). Just download and extract. (I've been told MotionJoy is a little.. dodgy, so I've updated this to use XInput Wrapper instead. Thanks EMPdrift for the heads up. For those you who already have MotionJoy, your best bet is switching to MotionJoy's offline and less malwarey client found here)

[installation and use]
Firstly, make sure you have all the requirements for running this software, I know it's a bit hefty but it's worth it.

- Microsoft .NET 4.0
- Visual C 2010 Runtime.
- Latest DirectX Runtime.
- Latest Xbox 360 Controller Drivers available.
- Genuine Sony DualShock3 or SixAxis Controller(s).
- Administrator rights on your PC.

1.  Connect your controller firstly (and bluetooth dongle now if you're going to need it later) and let Windows install its default drivers. Extract the software you downloaded using 7zip or another archive tool.
2.  Create a folder where you want the controller driver service to run from (your best bet is to create it in C:\Controller Service or something similar, this solves any access rights issues) and then copy the contents of the 'ScpServer/bin' directory from the extracted files to your created folder.]
3.  Now, load up 'ScpDriver.exe' in your created folder (if you're using Vista/XP, make sure to check the 'Force Install' checkbox, 7/8 don't need to worry. If you're not going to be using bluetooth then uncheck the 'Bluetooth Driver' checkbox) and hit install, allow any driver install requests that may pop up.
4.  That's it for the installation aspect, to check if your service is running correctly, go to the folder you made in part 3 and load up 'ScpMonitor.exe'. This will tell you when and if you're controllers are connected.

Because these drivers and service emulate a 360 controller connection, you shouldn't have to edit any config! Makes things easy :)

[using your PS3 controller via Bluetooth]
If you're using a laptop that has built in bluetooth, or you have a bluetooth adapter for your PC, or something like that, then you'll be able to use your PS3 controller wirelessly, especially handy for those using it with their TV's or who only have a small mini-USB cable.

[Pairing it with your PC]
1.  Making sure the controller service is running, plug in the controller via USB and it will be automatically paired with your PC.
2.  Disconnect from USB and connect the controller as you would normally, however disconnect by holding R1+L1+PS for 2 seconds.

I was going to add Wii controllers but I decided it's probably not very.. feasible.. considering the amount of buttons, or lack thereof (and lack of dual thumbsticks). If you've any ideas for more controllers let me know and I'll add 'em to the list. Also, any changes or corrections or criticism... let me know!

As for generic gamepads, the range is too broad to just give one guide, I'll do a quick guide on the config files in a bit just to give a heads up to people with issues on that front.

Has anyone figured figured out how to load a game and continue with split screen? So far we've been able to start new games with start split-screen, but we have yet been able to load any of the games we've started. Any help would be much appreciated!

When you press a button on the control, it presents you with an option to either take over or add another player. Does that not work when loading an existing save?
No, at least not on the previous build it didn't. I have only played single-player on the latest build, but I'll probably try split screen tomorrow and post back on here.

Hello! Tried running a xbox wired controller via the linux xpad and xboxdrv.

Controlls seemes very badly mapped. The left controll stick only controll east and west movement while the right controll stick for example pushes zombies when moved to the left. The controll works fine in other games, teleglitch naming one.

I'm not smart enough to see how to change the mapping properly via zomboid settings or xboxdrv options. Anyone with the same problem and a solution to it? Running xboxdrv with "--mimic xpad" does not work. :)

(Also I have not logged in here for a very long time and my old account seems to have vanished :\/ )

Anyone have any experience with Macs and the PS3 controller?

Right now I use a (hilariously old) Belkin Nostromo N52 Speedpad for most of my gaming; which OS X treats as a weird keyboard. For most games like DoD and L4D there is only like 6 keys and the mappings are already correct on the N52. It's actually really convenient  :-D

The mapping software for the N52 hasn't run on an up-to-date mac in like 8 years. I own Controllermate, but it's so 'powerful' that I don't want to invest the time into developing a big controller profile until I'm sure the N52 is the best device for PZ.

The reason I'm posting: I'm thinking of investing in a PS3 controller with bluetooth so I can try using a controller for PZ. If it's better than mouse + N52, I'd use it on my main machine, and sometimes play on my TV with my media centre computer that has Steam installed too (protip: you can sync almost any game's savegames between computers automagically using Dropbox and Unix syslinks).

Thoughts?

Anyone have any experience with Macs and the PS3 controller?

Right now I use a (hilariously old) Belkin Nostromo N52 Speedpad for most of my gaming; which OS X treats as a weird keyboard. For most games like DoD and L4D there is only like 6 keys and the mappings are already correct on the N52. It's actually really convenient  :-D

The mapping software for the N52 hasn't run on an up-to-date mac in like 8 years. I own Controllermate, but it's so 'powerful' that I don't want to invest the time into developing a big controller profile until I'm sure the N52 is the best device for PZ.

The reason I'm posting: I'm thinking of investing in a PS3 controller with bluetooth so I can try using a controller for PZ. If it's better than mouse + N52, I'd use it on my main machine, and sometimes play on my TV with my media centre computer that has Steam installed too (protip: you can sync almost any game's savegames between computers automagically using Dropbox and Unix syslinks).

Thoughts?

PZ is not currently properly playable with any controller, so if you're looking to play PZ immediately with a controller, a PS3 controller (or any controller for that matter) won't do the trick.

And no controller support was ever functional for us of the unix persuasion unfortunately.

However, using an app from the Apple store you can bind a controller to almost any function and have it be recognized as keyboard (or even mouse) input.

It's called Gamepad Companion if I recall correctly and using it should allow you to play PZ with ANY device you can connect to your computer (without even needing a driver).

I know this is a bit of an old topic but did not want to start a new one. I have followed the instructions as instructed and even did some research outside of the forums. But even after following and doing everything that has been said, XInput Wrapper is not detecting my controller (I tried with MotionJoy, it detects my controller but the game doesn't).

I must have missed something. I have checked to have all the requirements as in Microsoft .NET 4.0, Visual C 2010 Runtime, latest DirectX Runtime and the latest Xbox 360 Controller Drivers available. I'm running on Windows 7 64bit.

If anyone can be of assistance I would appreciate it.

Figured I'd add this to the new forums, nice treat to see after coming back from 3 weeks holidays. Good job guys :)

I'm well aware all of this can be found googling, but it's easier just to have it here in one easy to find post. I've been updating this when people have made suggestions or found something wrong with it, so if you think I should change anything just let me know.

[Wired]

This controller is probably the easiest to set up and use for PC and more than likely PZ. If you have one of these, chances are you've used it already with your PC, but if not here you go.

1. Firstly, you're going to want to install the drivers for the wired controller. The best way to do this would be with the installation disc that came with the controller however if it didn't come with one you can download it here

2. Next plug the controller in, go to start>run (or windows key+r) and type 'joy.cpl' without the quote marks. If you installed it all and connected it right, then you pressing any buttons should pop up here.

[Wireless]

For this, you're going to need an XBox 360 Wireless Controller USB receiver, you can pick these up online, I'm not sure whether GameStop still stocks them. Microsoft's site that sells them is broken so don't even bother. With this, you can connect up to 4 controllers however making it quite handy

1.  To use the wireless receiver, you'll need to install the drivers again, this one is slightly easier as its plug-and-play, meaning it could be as easy as just hitting 'Install the software automatically'. If the new hardware wizard popped up, then you're good to go. If not, install the drivers manually from here.

2.  Now, it's time to connect the controller, turn the controller on using the guide button, press the sync button on both the controller and the receiver. (The sync button on the controller is on the top of the controller beside the left button.

3.  The lights will stop flashing when it's connected and you can use it the same way as the wired controller.

PS3 Controllers

This is a little bit trickier as there's no built in support on windows for PS3 controllers, however, it's nothing any of you using the test builds can't handle ;)

To do this, you're going to need to download and install the drivers/config software from here (if you have any trouble, mirror here ). Just download and extract. (I've been told MotionJoy is a little.. dodgy, so I've updated this to use XInput Wrapper instead. Thanks EMPdrift for the heads up. For those you who already have MotionJoy, your best bet is switching to MotionJoy's offline and less malwarey client found here)

[installation and use]

Firstly, make sure you have all the requirements for running this software, I know it's a bit hefty but it's worth it.

- Microsoft .NET 4.0

- Visual C 2010 Runtime.

1.  Connect your controller firstly (and bluetooth dongle now if you're going to need it later) and let Windows install its default drivers. Extract the software you downloaded using 7zip or another archive tool.

2.  Create a folder where you want the controller driver service to run from (your best bet is to create it in C:\Controller Service or something similar, this solves any access rights issues) and then copy the contents of the 'ScpServer/bin' directory from the extracted files to your created folder.]

3.  Now, load up 'ScpDriver.exe' in your created folder (if you're using Vista/XP, make sure to check the 'Force Install' checkbox, 7/8 don't need to worry. If you're not going to be using bluetooth then uncheck the 'Bluetooth Driver' checkbox) and hit install, allow any driver install requests that may pop up.

4.  That's it for the installation aspect, to check if your service is running correctly, go to the folder you made in part 3 and load up 'ScpMonitor.exe'. This will tell you when and if you're controllers are connected.

Because these drivers and service emulate a 360 controller connection, you shouldn't have to edit any config! Makes things easy :)

If you're using a laptop that has built in bluetooth, or you have a bluetooth adapter for your PC, or something like that, then you'll be able to use your PS3 controller wirelessly, especially handy for those using it with their TV's or who only have a small mini-USB cable.

1.  Making sure the controller service is running, plug in the controller via USB and it will be automatically paired with your PC.

2.  Disconnect from USB and connect the controller as you would normally, however disconnect by holding R1+L1+PS for 2 seconds.

I was going to add Wii controllers but I decided it's probably not very.. feasible.. considering the amount of buttons, or lack thereof (and lack of dual thumbsticks). If you've any ideas for more controllers let me know and I'll add 'em to the list. Also, any changes or corrections or criticism... let me know!

As for generic gamepads, the range is too broad to just give one guide, I'll do a quick guide on the config files in a bit just to give a heads up to people with issues on that front.

I wanted to add this, I use my ps3 controllers for multiple purposes, console, pc and IOS. I wanted to inform you if you didnt know that DS3 tool will allow you to emulate the ps3 controller as a 360 controller both wired and wirelessly via Bluetooth adapter. It supports most built in adapters and dongles.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/download

It should be a lot simpler to use the ps3 controller thanks to this program.

[Wired]

[Wireless]

PS3 Controllers

[installation and use]

- Microsoft .NET 4.0

- Visual C 2010 Runtime.

Hi! Can  you tell me how to configure a generic gamepad please? :)

And I have a plan.

........a sly and cunning plan my Lord?  :-D

Haha a sly and cunning Blackadder reference  :-D, and one that almost made me forget the reason for my post. Ah yes, this was it: Does anyone happen to know if controller support pending in the near future? I'm quite new to the game and don't really know where to look for things yet, so if this is posted somewhere public, just point away.

Personally, I think quite a few things would need to change in the inventory system first. The current inventory system would not be very controller friendly, and you'd end up having to use the stick to emulate mouse movements, and that never works well.

P.S. For the Mac users, I find a wired GameStop 360 controller + ControllerMate does the trick for everything. CM is a really powerful program that allows you to map single keys, lists of commands to a single key, or whatever you want. You can also turn one of the sticks into a mouse emulator, but I don't think it works all that well. You'd want to drink a gallon of bleach in RL if you had to use a controller stick to simulate the mouse to move inventory items around in Project Zomboid.

For some reason, it won't let me take off bandages. It says to press A to view the treatment options, but when I do, nothing happens. The box is highlighted, and there's nothing to activate with the A button when I try to press it, but the treatment options don't show up. I'm using a GameStop wired Xbox 360 controller, and otherwise the controls work fine, more or less.