Fish tank

Jack Bower

What if you could find fish antibiotics that could help you in a pinch but have lesser effects and a few drawbacks. I mean it would be able to save you if you were going to die (As long as your not to far gone) with the drawbacks of sadness, thirsty, and stuff like that. I mean it would help if you had nothing.

Actually i would also like to have an option that says for example "examine fish tank" and a gif or a jpeg comes on the screen with the fish checking if yoru fish are alive or dead xD

I would want to see a fish with derp eyes like the sheep in minecraft because why not. Plus one of my goldfish had a wonky eye and it was beautiful.

R.I.P. General Fish.

What if you could find fish antibiotics that could help you in a pinch but have lesser effects and a few drawbacks. I mean it would be able to save you if you were going to die (As long as your not to far gone) with the drawbacks of sadness, thirsty, and stuff like that. I mean it would help if you had nothing.

Fish antibiotics are identical to human antibiotics. It's a dirty little secret that lets preppers stock up on antibiotics without a prescription from a doctor. Many vet meds are identical to human versions at a fraction of the cost in America. But they are not FDA screened so quality could be be an issue in theory.

I wouldn't use animal meds in real life but I'd risk it in an apocalypse.

Fish antibiotics are identical to human antibiotics. It's a dirty little secret that lets preppers stock up on antibiotics without a prescription from a doctor. Many vet meds are identical to human versions at a fraction of the cost in America. But they are not FDA screened so quality could be be an issue in theory.

I wouldn't use animal meds in real life but I'd risk it in an apocalypse.

I wouldnt say all but some if not most.

Silly question.  Saltwater fish or freshwater fish?

Freshwater seems the most logical, considering there's no saltwater in Kentucky(that I know of), and the fact that saltwater fish require extreme amounts of care that no one would even bother with during a zombie apocalypse.

As cute as this is, this would sooner be a mod idea than a vanilla game one.

Now wait just a minute.  How about.... we just get goldfish in the vanilla game.  People can mod in their own exotic types of fish.  Yeah.  Mods where people can dig moats around their house-fort and fill them with piranhas.  Yeah!  Dragon-shark mods.  YEAH!  But it would all start with goldfish.  

As cute as this is, this would sooner be a mod idea than a vanilla game one.

Now wait just a minute.  How about.... we just get goldfish in the vanilla game.  People can mod in their own exotic types of fish.  Yeah.  Mods where people can dig moats around their house-fort and fill them with piranhas.  Yeah!  Dragon-shark mods.  YEAH!  But it would all start with goldfish.  

Dragon Sharks? Let us not play god here, sir.

May I take this a step further? (Possibly in the wrong direction...but meh)

If this were implemented along with the idea of solar panels, a player could make an aquaponics farm.

For those not familiar, in a nutshell, aquaponics farms are self-sustaining farms that pump dirty wastewater from large fish tanks through a growing bed, where the plants filter out all the nitrates and waste from the water, allowing them to grow rapidly. The now clean water is cycled back into the fish tank...and on and on and on....

This would have to be a near-legendary item to craft, as it would allow almost indefinite self-sufficiency. But with the right tools and the right supplies, one could be crafted by a tenacious survivor.

May I take this a step further? (Possibly in the wrong direction...but meh)

If this were implemented along with the idea of solar panels, a player could make an aquaponics farm.

For those not familiar, in a nutshell, aquaponics farms are self-sustaining farms that pump dirty wastewater from large fish tanks through a growing bed, where the plants filter out all the nitrates and waste from the water, allowing them to grow rapidly. The now clean water is cycled back into the fish tank...and on and on and on....

This would have to be a near-legendary item to craft, as it would allow almost indefinite self-sufficiency. But with the right tools and the right supplies, one could be crafted by a tenacious survivor.

Or, to fit into the "Average Joe" feel the devs are going for, instead of having it pump water to the plants and back to the fish, just grow the plants on top of the tank, with the roots hanging in the water. That would probably take less work to make, both for the devs, and the players.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to have a koi pond. I would then like to transfer fish that I caught in a bucket of water to my koi pond. This would allow me to keep fresh fish inside my compound.

Sure not all fish would live for long in a koi pond, but they'll stay alive longer than without it!

I recently watched a documentary where a rice farmer had a pond built right next to his house. He grew rice, milled it, fed it to the fish, then ate the fish for supper. Very very interesting.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/one-day-life-rice-farmer/

In case anyone would like to watch it.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone ever heard of Aquaculture? It's an advanced form of agriculture where you create a bit of an ecosystem in which plants feed off the waste in the water generated by the fish. The nitrogen and ammonia, I believe. It would be pretty cool if you could take a small pond and create an aquaculture habitat for some of your plants.

Yea it's pretty sweet it's actually technically aquaponics (aquaculture would be farming fish). The plants also clean the water. There is actually a greenhouse by us that has an aquarium sized setup. 

• 1 year later...

Wow, this thread seems to go everywhere - Zombie heads? ewwwww.

But I searched this thread, because I had the idea of a fish tank - well, it can also be a terrarium - as a crafting idea. The only thing that would be needed to add to the vanilla is the craft item itself as well as a can of that spray on rubber stuff for a sealant. Of course, if we wanted to view our fish, we would need to be able to remove windows without breaking them for use as materials.

In addition to being able to keep fish (or insects or even rats/mice) alive for future use, it could be (as mentioned earlier) a source of boredom reduction and even unhappiness reduction. If the developers felt like being really nice, these things might breed. But that might throw off the balance somewhat. After all, we are supposed to be doomed to die.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2016 at 3:46 PM, Erkinwine said:

Wow, this thread seems to go everywhere - Zombie heads? ewwwww.

But I searched this thread, because I had the idea of a fish tank - well, it can also be a terrarium - as a crafting idea. The only thing that would be needed to add to the vanilla is the craft item itself as well as a can of that spray on rubber stuff for a sealant. Of course, if we wanted to view our fish, we would need to be able to remove windows without breaking them for use as materials.

In addition to being able to keep fish (or insects or even rats/mice) alive for future use, it could be (as mentioned earlier) a source of boredom reduction and even unhappiness reduction. If the developers felt like being really nice, these things might breed. But that might throw off the balance somewhat. After all, we are supposed to be doomed to die.

And thus the breath of life comes back into this topic:D

Also, yeah your right, this got way out of hand, but if you play zomboid, zombie heads shouldn't bother you.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:50 PM, TheWraithPlayer said:

And thus the breath of life comes back into this topic:D

Also, yeah your right, this got way out of hand, but if you play zomboid, zombie heads shouldn't bother you.

The heads don't bother me, but that doesn't mean I want to display them as trophies. When I step on a beetle, I don't have it bronzed and mounted, either. That's just weird. But, hey, weird is why zombies sell, so, who knows ...