Escaped Pets ?

Dreadstone

I was just rummaging through the forums .... looking at peoples ideas and thinkin ... and had a crazy thought hit me ...

People keep strange pets. I've certainly known plenty of people with animals that would not be considered "classic vanilla pets".

Everyone knows people with cats, or dogs. But most of us have known people with other pets... snakes, lizards, ferrets, parrots ... and those are the "normal" ones. I used to live next door to a guy with a mated pair of emu. (Breakfast omlettes at his house was an epic event.)

So what happens when zombies start wandering about and civilization collapses? Noone is looking after these pets. They're gonna escape if they can and go back to being wild. Carving out a niche for themselves in the local ecosphere. Most won't make it, some will. And a large enough group of the same animal will ~become~ a native species, especially with no natural local predators.

Once animals are added to the game I think it would be pretty cool to see the random odd beast wandering around, or caught in a trap. And how hilarious would it be foraging deep in the woods and find an emu egg, or a small herd of wild ponies.

anyway .... my crazy idea of the day ...

Well...I can't say the idea isn't entertaining alright, I mean going through the forest minding my own business foraging a bit...when suddenly...a wild Emu appears...  :shock: ... 8-)

It would probably crack me up having something like that happen every now and again...but maybe its a little bit too crazy...great idea for a mod if someone decides to grab onto it...it could probably come out great...for vanilla game...I'd agree up to being able to from to time catch something like a lizard, or find a few snake eggs here and there though.

Yeah .. it's interesting how we accidentally populate areas with new species all the time.

A little over a decade ago here, a pet store had some sort of accident. I think they might have been moving the whole store to a new location ... I don't remember the specifics. However a large enough group of bright green parakeets escaped that we now have a stable population living along the river downtown.

Popular pets and escape artists, snakes are a common "exotic" pet, especially constrictors. Snake eggs is something I can't believe didn't occur to me originally. Would also be interesting to add the possibility of getting snake bit while foraging. I'm not familiar with the types of snakes that naturally inhabit Kentucky, tho I'm sure there are at least 2 poisonous types. Not everywhere can be "blessed" with the ridiculous number of deadly animals we have in Texas.

ok, you want VENOMOUS snakes a possibility in the game? the Kentucky Reptile Zoo has a large number of highly toxic, venomous snakes in its collection. they do a lot of "milking" of the snakes to help develop Anti-Venom for snake bites and other medical studies

http://www.kyreptilezoo.org/index.php?Your_Visit. problem is that geographically, it is in the wrong part of Kentucky

(please don't refer to snakes as Poisonous, they are in fact Venomous)

I don't think this would work. I like the suggestion but most of the "special" animals require special care and proper food. Also they wouldn't live in the climate. As they would die in the winter. For example a polar bear would feel good in the summer would he? His normal summer has a winter like temperature.

I don't think this would work. I like the suggestion but most of the "special" animals require special care and proper food. Also they wouldn't live in the climate. As they would die in the winter. For example a polar bear would feel good in the summer would he? His normal summer has a winter like temperature.

Animals like Horses and Cows that aren't native to North America do fine in this climate though.

Guess what....Poisonous Snakes :twisted:  Sorry, just had to.

Animals like Horses and Cows that aren't native to North America do fine in this climate though.

Yeah but they have been around for a long time and could adapt.

Guess what....Poisonous Snakes :twisted:Sorry, just had to.

Yeah but they have been around for a long time and could adapt.
Maybe a lot of them would die but some would survive.