K-Rations

S44lasde

2 ideas - for both the k-rations would have a very long shelf life, but would not be very nutritious as they are bland food.

1 - Could be found in garages, remote areas/lockups - (could also be found in military buildings if these were ever added - note: military buildings do not auto = lots of guns. It could be a motor pool depot or signals corp installation or just admin buildings.

2 - Maybe you could "cook-up" some K-Ration style biscuits, especially important after the power goes off - anyone for broccoli biscuits?

I was playing with the idea of MRE-like food myself, for some time, the question here is, would you be able to find them in a rural town like this, if not (which is pretty likely or they would be very rare kinds of food) could you make them, if it were bakery in general or some sort of "add water and heat" kind of food I could see it becoming pretty good and filling, but maybe not very tasty (probably giving you a bit of boredom/unhappiness), I can see it would be something to take with you as it would be probably pretty light to carry around to keep you going out of your safe house if need be.

In general its a solid idea in my opinion.

My thoughts were that you could cook up a number of basic biscuit recipes:

Boring biscuit - flour, salt and water - Hunger reduced by 6 Boredom increased by 2

Biscuit - flour, salt, butter and water - Hunger reduced by 10 

Sweet biscuit - flour, sugar, butter and water- Hunger reduced by 10 Boredom reduced by 2

Each recipe makes up a batch of 10 or 15 biscuits

(It would also be possible to make a Focaccia style bread by adding Tomato and cheese)

Well if it so I can't see why not, in town I'd say there would have to have a specific store for you to find MREs in or maybe expand the map/add a military-like base, since I doubt they'd be in a everyday grocery store, so why not, in general I think it would be a great addition expanding the baking recipes and biscuits would probably only go stale(lose their fresh status) and not actually rot it would be a good way to sink resources into making non-perishable(somewhat) food...maybe even creating fruit-based bakery recipes by adding fruit for a different flavoured biscuits(probably giving the food a bit of happiness factor) allowing you to use perishable food to make something to last you a while...

Agreed, I like the lose their "fresh status".

My idea was that it would add something subtle to the game by reusing elements that are already there. The biscuits would not give you a massive boost and you would have to gauge when to convert the food items into biscuits. Also as butter is likely to go rotten after the power goes, it would not be freely available for the better quality ones.

Blueberry cookies or chop chip cookies (as chocolate is already in the game)

You could also find some in crates here and there - maybe by the church as the army made a donation to a food appeal. 

Also, an interesting group of buildings/tents that could be added would be some sort of medical vetting/checking road block from when the outbreak first started, but was overrun by the growing Zombie horde.

Long lived biscuits would be a great idea. Hardtack can last for ages, but it's very boring even if it can be nutritious.

MREs I think would make sense and I've wondered before why they don't exist. They're self contained and most that I've had (from hurricane rations, haha) were actually -extremely- nutritious / filling and surprisingly tasty. The only thing is I'd think in a zombie apocolypse they'd be kind of rare since people would probably grab them up for themselves ... but I know several people who stockpile them in this area because of hurricanes. (Southern Louisiana, y'all.)

re: butter rotting - Butter actually takes an extremely long time to go bad in most cases if it's sealed up and particularly if it's salted. Also, items like ghee or margarine could be added, which ... don't rot. Ghee can last for hundreds of years and still be perfectly edible.

Re-Butter - I'd forgotten about that - there have been cases of "bog" butter being found here in Ireland hundreds of years after it was buried. It is not always edible, but in many cases it still has its buttery smell. The bog was used as a "fridge" in times past.

While we are on the topic of preserving - you could salt fish and layer it into a barrel. (Maybe even smoke it?)

Well as far as MREs, we know that Devs said that eventually houses will have basements, so if we are talking about people grabbing up and squirreling the goods away for themselves, that could be made to be the place to look for them, I would imagine a lot of people (before zombifying) would probably hunker down underground anyway. And I don't know about MREs for hurricanes and such...but when I was in the army...those things...man...yeah there edible and filling...but good god, some of them tasted like week old socks...different place...different things I guess.

Food preserving was mentioned as well and already I think it was since build 30 we can preserve food via canning it...at least what you get of your harvests with vinegar and water to keep it from rotting...so farming is now somewhat better than fishing, so maybe to even the odds they will introduce a method of preserving meat products, smoking/drying the food would probably make the most sense since it would be easy to establish. 

well its pretty simple, you just need a couple items, all have to be in your main inventory:

Empty jar

Jar lids

Full bottle of water (or any other container filled with water)

bottle of vinegar (it only uses a little bit so one bottle of it can make quite a few cans)

Bag of sugar

and of course vegetables of your choice from your harvest

I think that's all of it anyway.