Journal of Luis Richardson

Astros

I'm needing to improve my story typing frequency for some short stories I'm working on. Thought creating a journal of entries from a first person perspective would help. Also I've done this in the past with other characters in-game. I'll probably do them as weekly in-game entries. Usually nothing too noteworthy happens on a daily basis, but building progress happens steadily in week periods. I'll update this post with each entry and try to keep it tidy. Enjoy

Journal

10/21:

My name is Luis Richardson, Age 27, Occupation Fire Fighter. My inspiration for this journal was to leave something behind if I die unexpectedly. To leave a memoir of my life and the struggles of survivors like me. I hope there are others out there somewhere. It's been months since I last saw a living human being. Plenty of dead ones though, many which I had to kill again.Though before I get ahead of myself, I need to start from the beginning.

It was a normal morning when it began. Was like it occurred overnight while everyone was asleep or something. I woke up and got dressed to go to work. Waiting on the carpool, it never came. I called my friends and they never picked up. I then called work but they didn't answer either. I decided to walk there as it was my duty as a fire fighter and I was worried. Before I even got past the first block I saw my first one.

The first of those creatures of satan or some otherworldly design. It looked like a regular person until I got up close. I could see their eye hanging from it's socket along with the flies swarming the rotten flesh of what use to be it's face. It lunged at me in my shock and scratched me furiously. Biting with what teeth it had left I figured she was gonna kill me.

Though my adrenaline kicked in and I wrestled her off. In the rush of the moment I started to stomp on her skull with my boots. Over and over and over. I guess the concrete helped in crushing her skull, though the insides will always haunt me. Anyway I finally broke out of the trance and noticed I had caught the attention of others. All similarly rotting and dead but still alive somehow.

I ran around the block some and eventually escaped. I went for my cellphone to call the cops but there was no connection. That's when I realized it wasn't just here, it had to be everywhere. Which I soon found to be the truth in the next coming months. At first it was easy surviving, the electricity was on and I had running water. I felt horrible stealing from others but convinced myself they were probably already dead.

It didn't last forever though, as I guess the generators of the town ran out of fuel or something. With the power went the water and the last remnants of humanity with it. I had been living off the stuff in friges mainly up till that point. Along with TV dinners and whatever I could cook. It was pretty great, but with the power went the food. Anything not packaged or preserved rotted in the first week.

My food supplies quickly dwindled and I was forced to think of a solution or die from hunger. That's when a farming book from a shelve of my neighbors fell on my head. It scared the hell out of me and I was pissed. Just when I was about to throw it I remembered the dead were attracted to noise. Looking at it with rage, it soon faded as I was enlightened. I decided to start my own farm and live off the land.

I had plenty of yard space to work with, I would just need to build a barrier to protect it and myself from the hordes. Which I forgot to mention, the dead seem to group up at times and roam in packs. I've looked death in the face many times confronting them. Though I learned how the dead work and now I'm able to sneak past them. It seems most of their eyes have lost sight, so they mainly respond to sound.

Needing tools I traveled a good distance away from my home. Till I ran into a storage depot near the main road. It contained most of the tools I needed, so I backpacked back and forth from there and started building. First I constructed a small farm in the back with rain collectors. Then added a third story to my building, preparing for a forth. At this point I needed more building supplies so I went back to the depot.

Finding a map of the surrounding area I packed my things and went to the lumber mill. There I found more than I could have asked for, as well over two hundred shotgun shells. I'm not sure if they knew this would happen and planned ahead or if it mere coincidence. Regardless I packed the essentials and made a very long trek back home. 

It's been three months since that first day and I'm fairing well. However winter is settling in as the tree's change color. I fear my farm won't hold up during these times. I had to expand it and build a larger area. Putting it on a second floor I made a catwalk connecting to it from my bedroom. If it comes to it I'll have to leave the safety of my fortress of solitude to survive. 

For now I just plan to continue with my building plans. I wrote them down one day while taking a break and it looks pretty solid. 

Progress:

myplan.jpg

Finished Project:

myplanfinal.jpg

10/30:

Some time has past since my last entry, thought it would be okay to add another. It's been a little over a week since my last one. While things have been going smoothly, I'm more anxious than ever. If I had to explain it, things have been going too smoothly. I haven't seen a single one of those things since my last entry.

It's as if they disappeared off the face of the planet. Though maybe that's just what they want me to think. Regardless I've quickened my work on the wall. This past Tuesday I realized a sharp decline in the temperature. It's been steadily dropping for awhile now but this was different. I can feel the kiss of winter already on my skin.

The crops have felt it too, they take longer than usual to sprout. Which I finally managed to build an elevated plot. It seemed like a crazy idea building the thing. I thought I wouldn't have enough soil for them to grow. I was lucky that they don't seem affected and now I can farm without checking over my back every five minutes.

My daily routine has consisted of waking up and eating breakfast. Going out side and chopping timber all day and then going straight to bed. It's slowly making me mad, specially being out there in the thicket. With every tree I cut down I look around, trying to see the first sign of them. Though like always nothing appears, not even the animals.

They're probably waiting for my guard to drop so I'll be easy pickings. Though they aren't going to get me that easily.Once I get this wall up and sealed I'll be able to relax some. Until then I'll have to keep knocking at those tree's. Actually, just checking my supplies now. It seems I need to get some more rope for binding. Seems I'll have to go check the surrounding buildings some more, just great.

Archived