Blending

MonolithicBacon

Hey guys!

I've been cracking away at a map now for a few days and I've made quite a few beginner's mistakes, but there's one issue I've not yet been able to resolve.

Because my conversion over to BMP was not overly successful (I had a lot of unknown colours) I have been left with no blends between different grass colours, and I'm having to input them all in by hand.

Now, I'm happy to take the time to perfect something, but damn, this will take a long time. Does anyone have any idea how to do this on a large scale quite quickly?

Many thanks in advance!

Here's a little screen of progress so far:

screen1.jpg

You should always make your bitmap working properly first if you don't want any trouble later. You can do the bmp to tmx again, but you will lose all tilezed changes done to the map so far... If you haven't done much in that (in other words, buildings only) I suggest fixing the bitmap with right colors. I usually try to do the bitmap as accurate as possible before I do anything in tilezed.

Just checking if you have copied the blends.txt from the ZomboidMapTools1_1.zip and overwritten the one that comes with the other zip? As per http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4674-map-tools/?p=62708

Hey Suomiboi!

Thanks a lot for a speedy reply. I'm going to have to get used to the software so I'm expecting teething problems.

Still, I already had the blends.txt from the .zip in the right place and I'm about to try to make another bitmap to see if I can resolve anything from the front end, but for the current map, is there anything I can do to quickly create blends in TileZed?

Below is an image where is stands out as obvious. Besides fixing this one tile at a time, is the only other way to make them automatically work through the bmp/tmx conversion?

Thanks again!

screen2.jpg

It's not about the blends.txt file being at the right place, but about it having the right content.

For the current map, if your blends.txt indeed is correct, you should be able to use the bmp brush/bucket fill tools to just fill those areas and it should automatically create blends for them...

Just to be on the safe side do this again: Go to your ZomboidMapTools1_1.zip and extract its contents somewhere. Then find the blends.txt from the extracted file and copy it. Then paste it in your tools/TileZed/WorldEd -folder. When it asks to overwrite, say yes. Restart Tiled and WorldEd. Open your map and see if it's fixed.

Also if you can upload the bmp files, I can have a quick look if it's something in there.

I decided to get all of the files in order, and rather than waste your time with sending the files, I decided to try and make new ones from scratch.

It turns out that the method I used before to make the bmp files was what was causing the issues, and there were so many unknown colours that nothing would blend. On this new, larger map, everything blends automatically (which I had no idea it was supposed to in the first place! It's so pretty).

Still, many thanks for your help! Have no doubt, I will be back to pester you somewhere along the road.

Speaking of, is there any particular reason why you shouldn't make large-scale changes on TileZed (such are remove entire roads)? Will it cause any issues?

Speaking of, is there any particular reason why you shouldn't make large-scale changes on TileZed (such are remove entire roads)? Will it cause any issues?

No it won't cause any issues, but mainly it's 20 times faster to do stuff with a picture if you know what you want. The only issue will occur if you want to use a bmp map in a later point, mainly because you will have to overwrite any changes you've done so far.

And what I've just lately learned is that you can actually do a tmx to bmp so that it'll create bmps from your map so that you'll have most of the ground tile and vegetation info preserved if you want to further edit that. Only your placed tiles will disappear.

• 4 weeks later...

When I tried making a map once, I made the mistake of leaving Anti-Aliasing enabled; which caused the colors to gradually shift to your secondary color (giving it the appeance of not looking pixelated), but the problem is you don't want those other colors so make sure anti-aliasing is DISABLED.