Yeah..Multiplayer is pretty much unplayable now that 30.12 is out.

fizzgfm

Ever since 30.12 went live multiplayer has been a nightmare, I don't know if the hordes and erosion mod have screwed it up or if it's update issues.

There are horrible lag spikes and the map is taking ages to load to the point where every 7 steps you take you have to wait 3 mins for the next piece of map to load. This for me makes the multiplayer unplayable sadly.

I just wish we had stayed at 29.4, at least multiplayer ran smooth on that build with no problems whatsoever, I don't believe this build was properly tested on this mode before release.

I've tried re-updating and re-installing but it does nothing,it still remains the same.

I hope this is fixed soon because I was really enjoying the multiplayer aspect of the game, early acess has its pros and cons I guess.

I just wish we had stayed at 29.4, at least multiplayer ran smooth on that build with no problems whatsoever, I don't believe this build was properly tested on this mode before release.

There's a limited amount of testing the devs can realistically do themselves, which is the reason the IWBUMS releases exist. So for better or worse, much of the testing is in practice up to the community.

There's a limited amount of testing the devs can realistically do themselves, which is the reason the IWBUMS releases exist. So for better or worse, much of the testing is in practice up to the community.

I also think a huge problem is that a lot of server providers don't support the IWBUMS branch, which causes problems for numbers with big servers, meaning can't get a good amount of testing done.

Just to clear up what you might be seeing:

Clients download the map from the server.  This happens any time the map chunks on the server don't match what the client already has.  So opening a door, smashing a window, building stuff etc causes the map chunk to change and the client will need to download it again.

In build 29, the server would send the chunks to the client straight off the hard drive if the server hadn't loaded that part of the map yet.  But with Erosion in build 30, the server has to load the map chunk before it can send it to the client (to make sure the Erosion stuff is updated before sending to the client).

If you are actually running into "black chunks" then it could mean:

1) The server is taking too long to load the map in before sending to the client.  This will get worse with more clients connected.

2) The server's upload speed is too low.  If your server is on a home computer, upload speeds will likely be an issue.  I have fine download speeds at home, but couldn't run a server from there due to the slow upload speed.

3) The client download speed is too low.  Shouldn't be an issue unless you're on a modem

If you are actually running into "black chunks" then it could mean:

1) The server is taking too long to load the map in before sending to the client.  This will get worse with more clients connected.

2) The server's upload speed is too low.  If your server is on a home computer, upload speeds will likely be an issue.  I have fine download speeds at home, but couldn't run a server from there due to the slow upload speed.

3) The client download speed is too low.  Shouldn't be an issue unless you're on a modem

So in my case it can be pretty much only caused by number 1. My server is a dedicated machine, specs are as follows:

• Intel Core i5-3450 CPU with 4 x 3,10 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM (currently 6GB assigned to PZ)
  • 1GBit connection (up/down)
  • 2x1TB HDD (run as a RAID, so only 1TB is available)

Any tips to solve/reduce number 1?

Hi guys/gals.  So I've set things back to the way they were in Build 29,  The server will send map chunks straight off the hard drive if they aren't already loaded, the way it used to be.  This required that the client knows how to update the Erosion objects, (only the server used to do this), which has removed a bit of randomness from Erosion in multiplayer (since client and server must choose the same trees/bushes/etc at the same locations now).  We'll probably do a short IWBUMS test in the next couple days before releasing.

The test 30.13 test version is out now.  Please try it on a backup of your existing server, or start a new server world.  There's no guarantee the official 30.13 will be compatible with this one, so be warned.  You'll need to enter a code to access the test branch:

Branch: online

Access code: hailkingspiffo

ChangeLog:

• Reverted to Build 29 way of sending the map to clients.
  • Fixed winter fishing and foraging not being disabled in winter.
  • Fixed Whiskey hunger value not updating correctly when using it to disinfect a wound.
  • Sound effects are paused when the game is paused or in the main menu.  In multiplayer, the sound is muted but not paused.
  • Fixed 4k resolution exception (on Linux at least).
  • Fixed Raw Axe becoming one-handed when chopping a tree if it was equipped 2-handed.
  • "Cut down tree" right-click menu gives Blade Maintenance XP, the same as attacking a tree to cut it down.
  • Fixed weight of some very light items being reported as zero (bandanges, seeds).
  • Fixed zombies not getting saved when PauseEmpty was true on the server.  This affected the area of the map that was still loaded when the last player disconnected.
  • Files in the scripts/ directory are sorted by name so they load in the same order each time.  Mod scripts/ files are loaded after the game's files.
  • Fixed the (RECOMMEDED) translation in the FPS option combobox.

I just had a long gameplay session with a couple of friends on our own server (I hosted it) and we had no issues what-so-ever, aside from hordes of zombies between us and the good loot >=O - The server (me/my computer) is in Spain, Europe. Both my friends live in different time-zones within the U.S.A. and the max ping they had was ~130

My Internet speed: 100Mbps Download / 10Mbps Upload

So I'm gonna assume that the issue some people have been having is purely down to broadband speed... I think.

I know even back in build 29 I could run around as admin with ghostmode (so quite fast) and max out cpu on various machines.

I did a little java profiling with a YourKit trial and it looked like it was spending most of the time (cpu and/or wall time) on various tasks triggered by ServerMap.preupdate() in the main server thread. This is one of my notes I took when I did that:

Over 12 second span 'spike', with one admin player with ghostmode running in one direction the whole time.
All in 'GameServer.main' thread (I think):
ServerMap.preupdate took 7690ms time
-LoadCellBinaryChunk took 4976ms of that, mostly wall time with RandomAccessFile.read()
-ServerCell.RecalcAll() took 1918ms of that, looks like that's mostly from lua with the LoadGridsquare event
IngameState.update() took 608ms time
ServerMap.postupdate took 156ms time

I meant to test it more so I could give actual suggestions for improvement but I never got around to it.

Obviously build 30 is different and I still need to try that.

Hi guys/gals.  So I've set things back to the way they were in Build 29,  The server will send map chunks straight off the hard drive if they aren't already loaded, the way it used to be.  This required that the client knows how to update the Erosion objects, (only the server used to do this), which has removed a bit of randomness from Erosion in multiplayer (since client and server must choose the same trees/bushes/etc at the same locations now).  We'll probably do a short IWBUMS test in the next couple days before releasing.

About randomness.

Maybe generating some kind of seed and saving it to chunk (or somewhere else, in server settings for example) data would be answer ? 

When chunk data is being sent to clients they would have seed available too . Clients would update map using this seed .Every client becouse of having same seed would make same updates .

So I'm gonna assume that the issue some people have been having is purely down to broadband speed... I think.

Bad assumption.

Why :/? I'm not experiencing any issues on my own hosted server, neither are the people playing in it. What am I to make of that :o I definitely can't say I agree multiplayer requires one of it's mechanics to be rolled-back for an issue I have not seen when I supposedly should have had encountered already.

My only worry here is that reverting things for a reason that may be wrong could break the game for some people that did not have the issue to begin with. Though I suppose that's why the build posted by EasyPickins is not public. Maybe I shouldn't have worried :P

Our server didn't experience the major lag until we hit LOTS of players online. Perhaps since it was just you and a couple of friends Mona, it might not affect you the same way it is larger servers? But trust me when I say the problems weren't there before the update. For reference, our server averages 10-20 players on at a time.

Have you read my post? My server has tenfold of your downloadspeed and the uploadspeed is the same, so both are 1GB/s. The serverconnection is steady, no hiccups or anything like that. I can´t speak for all my players, but I have a 50Mbit down/10Mbit up connection and still experience pings ranging from 1000 to 6000, the real ping to the server-IP is ~35ms btw. All happenend when more and more Erosion pops in. How many players were online and what were/are your Erosion settings?

I updated to IWBUMS a couple of minutes ago, let´s see how it runs.

Have you read my post? My server has tenfold of your downloadspeed and the uploadspeed is the same, so both are 1GB/s. The serverconnection is steady, no hiccups or anything like that. I can´t speak for all my players, but I have a 50Mbit down/10Mbit up connection and still experience pings ranging from 1000 to 6000, the real ping to the server-IP is ~35ms btw. All happenend when more and more Erosion pops in. How many players were online and what were/are your Erosion settings?

Sorry. I must have missed the part where you mentioned that your issues happened specifically the more Erosion popped in your map. Given that, I find it easier to assume it's a broadband issue rather than a game problem when I'm playing the exact same game you are along with 2 other people, hosting my own server and not experiencing any issues whatsoever.

Best of luck with your issue though. I didn't mean my post to be aggressive or offensive.

There were 3 people connected to my server (myself included) as stated, and the erosion settings were the default ones.

Cheers!

i also am getting lil spike lags , lil mini stutters.

I only play my server with my roomates, local.

Our pings are all like 2ms... But we get these random stutter delays. Just noticed it for this new patch. I dont like it.

Server machine is....

i7 2600k

16gb ram

gtx 780

248 SSD

8gb dedicated to server

50 Mbs down

10Mbs up.

Sorry. I must have missed the part where you mentioned that your issues happened specifically the more Erosion popped in your map. Given that, I find it easier to assume it's a broadband issue rather than a game problem when I'm playing the exact same game you are along with 2 other people, hosting my own server and not experiencing any issues whatsoever.

Best of luck with your issue though. I didn't mean my post to be aggressive or offensive.

There were 3 people connected to my server (myself included) as stated, and the erosion settings were the default ones.

Cheers!

With 2 other people...

If you need a 1Gb connection to have more than 3 people on a server, we've got a pretty big problem. It's not individual server owners' faults for "low bandwidth" in that case.

I've had more than 3 people on my paltry 30mb upload without issue; doubt it's bandwidth alone. It'll depend on the number of zombies.etc present around the players, though. A few months ago, I would have estimated that ~100kb/s is ideal per player, but I have no idea what it'd be now.

Not sure why this is being treated as an argument.

[...] If you need a 1Gb connection to have more than 3 people on a server, we've got a pretty big problem...

You're probably right. I'm not used to playing multiplayer modes/games. I was just speculating based on my experience which seemed to be differ from everyone else who posted before me. But I guess there are way more factors when it comes to Project Zomboid and multiplayer.

Cheers!

From what Brybry said I assume that it's more a cpu problem then a bandwidth problem. Unless he made client side test I'm 100% sure. Of course that doesn't mean you have to upgrade your cpu to cpu using quantum physics it's just error in writing program code and I'm sure devs will solve it.