Play My Legacy Save!

Jatta Pake

Hey Jatta.

This Legacy game of yours is going to become one big chaos once it's gained enough popularity. If I were you I'd use a queu. Let people join the queu and wait for their turn. A really great example of this is the succession fort "Boatmurdered" from the game Dwarf Fortress.

Here's a link to the archived game: http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

These are the things you 100% need to keep this orderly:

- a queu

- a time limit

- a basic set of rules (example: don't burn down the entire town just for the sake of doing it)

And if I were you I'd make players have to do a mandatory story about what happened. So people who just want to read are attracted as well so this gets superduper popular! Other players can chose to read or to go in unknowing of the former player's actions.

I made my account here just to tell you this. Because I have faith in this growing big with the needed guidance. And also netting some extra popularity for the game as well. Happy surviving!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdb57n0b03yhwcj/Legacy1.18.zip?dl=0

Alright, I'm done with this. It felt like I'm spending too much time on the save with other people wanting to give it a try, so I suicided at 1 month 5 days and 17 hours. However, I did it in big style and I hope that I left enough of an impact on the world.

Anyway, I recommend reading my char's journal if you find my base, not only because it's a good read (lol jk can't write in my second language :cry: ) but also because you will find out why my base looks the way it does and if you follow some "subtle" clues from the journal, you can find 2 hidden kind of useful items and another player's base!

And Jatta, you literally saved me from starving when I was waiting for my first crops to grow. Thanks (fedora)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdb57n0b03yhwcj/Legacy1.18.zip?dl=0

Alright, I'm done with this. It felt like I'm spending too much time on the save with other people wanting to give it a try, so I suicided at 1 month 5 days and 17 hours. However, I did it in big style and I hope that I left enough of an impact on the world.

Anyway, I recommend reading my char's journal if you find my base, not only because it's a good read (lol jk can't write in my second language :cry: ) but also because you will find out why my base looks the way it does and if you follow some "subtle" clues from the journal, you can find 2 hidden kind of useful items and another player's base!

And Jatta, you literally saved me from starving when I was waiting for my first crops to grow. Thanks (fedora)

Im starting now but do you have any idea if the map mods will affect it? I would assume not but I just want to make sure

I accidentally played it with the Bedford Falls map mod installed now you mention it, and apparently the game was playable after that. I'm not sure how the New Denver mod will affect it though since it's on the same map as WP. I would just give it a go, and if the safe goes bad, we can always retrieve the Rass save. But if you want to be 100% sure you should go with Vanilla Zomboid.

I accidentally played it with the Bedford Falls map mod installed now you mention it, and apparently the game was playable after that. I'm not sure how the New Denver mod will affect it though since it's on the same map as WP. I would just give it a go, and if the safe goes bad, we can always retrieve the Rass save. But if you want to be 100% sure you should go with Vanilla Zomboid.

Thanks I was really hesitant to get started

Treoni - thank you for the advice, I think it is great. I think after this "experiment" we should launch a more formal Legacy Queue game with your suggestions. I could see it growing really big.

I'm perfectly happy with this game turning into utter chaos. In one sense, it does solve the problem of troublemakers burning down the town as subsequent players will just opt to play an earlier save. Or not. It's like a crazy virtual representation of survival of the fittest. Unpopular "timelines" will die off. Or not! The sheer madness of it has a certain charm.

To others using mods - might be a good idea to note what mods you have loaded when posting a save. Map mods probably won't cause any issues as new games always start in West Point but I'm not an expert. I'd say try to remember turning off your mods if you intend to ever have anyone else play your save. If your save doesn't work in vanilla, you will have fewer people willing to give it a shot.

That said, I'm down with timelines erupting with popular mods. Why not?!?!?

I didn't survive for long. A mere eight days. I was able to write a more extensive journal this time though. One thing about West Point is my largely lack of familiarity with it it. I didn't use pz maps so I did a lot of fumbling around. I was roleplaying a character not from West Point. (My character did not go to my original character's location. I roleplayed that he was looking for the original character but ended up not making it).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n4rwn6c3ynr221/Legacy%201m-27d-0y.zip?dl=0

downloading it!

Also, not-so-subtle BUMP!

I'm literally following this thread, so its not that I dislike any update made on it, but I think something could be done to avoid the need for bumping.

I realize that the suggestion I'm going to make could take visibility out of it as the general discussion is probably the most visited subforum of PZ... but couldn't we move this thread to "PZ community and Creativity" and stick it?

Just two cents I had on my pocket :)

@Ohbal It's a fairly small concept as it is, I second your idea, but I guess the mods want to see how this evolves.

Without further ado, I present you my new save.  While my play-trough with character Marinus was rather short and uneventful, It was also the first one in which I really found evidence of the struggle of another player. It was lots of fun figuring out what happened and trying to add to its legacy. Marinus did leave a rather extensive diary of 10+ pages behind, and it gives directions to where the game ultimately (and quite unintentionally) concluded. It sort of doesn't spell everything out (hint: assume a certain terrain feature is there) but  there be (fairly decent) loot for anyone who manages to find Marinus' mangled body.

I would love to hear if someone actually does, btw. Metagame FTW!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fslvnfn8j7cv77/Legacy%201m-5d-0y.rar?dl=0

Awesome! This is shaping up to be a fascinating experiment. It's like a new medium for story telling. You have to play the game to read the stories but as you do you can contribute to the story in virtually unlimited ways.

I hope more people give this a shot. I can barely resist not jumping in again right away. I'm so curious!

I'm four or five days in now.

Started in another's safehouse. Found two dead survivors on my way north to the river and another safehouse. The Journals tell me the former owner's of the safehouses were brothers. RIP!

Don't know how long i will make it, will continue on the weekend.

It's awesome so far, but i will need more food soon.

I also struggle a bit on getting things done and keeping my own diary/journal up to date. Days are short... ^^

Like Marinus said, you can write in your journal with the game paused. That's what I did.

Wanted to throw this idea out there: Any interest in a mod that allows you to spawn a pen and journal at start up? Although somewhat common, I've found myself wanting to write in a journal as soon as I start a character but usually don't end up finding anything until several days later. I could very easily make a mod for this. I'm fairly certain based on our experiences so far, the mod wouldn't break anything for later players who did not want to use this mod. Just an idea. 

Open the diary, then pause the game. You can still edit it when it's paused. If you like, you can also write it in Wordpad or something, and copy paste it into the game.

Ah, thank you. That's gonna make it much easier! :-)

Wanted to throw this idea out there: Any interest in a mod that allows you to spawn a pen and journal at start up? Although somewhat common, I've found myself wanting to write in a journal as soon as I start a character but usually don't end up finding anything until several days later. I could very easily make a mod for this. I'm fairly certain based on our experiences so far, the mod wouldn't break anything for later players who did not want to use this mod. Just an idea. 

I was lucky starting in someone's safehouse and finding pen and journal prepared (Thank you, stranger).

That mod could be a good addition for those, who jump in later and at some point a necessity, 'cause there seems to be no general respawn in this save and the total amount of journals in westpoint is limited.

Not exactly, because of zombieloot, but you can be pretty unlucky depending on zombieloot.

But a downside to a mod would be having to install an extra mod in addition to the savegame. Which is, on the other hand, not really complex.

With subsequent players in mind, I guess it is best not to loot any journals or pens from houses and only grab those from zombies (same with pens).

I dunno.. ^^

I'm already planning out how to continue my game and have to say:

It's really great. :mrgreen: I love it.

To find footprints of others and have to struggle with an already raided town is a really cool and challenging new experience.

Some may ask: Why don't you just play online? But i think it's not the same thing, and I personally would already have my own private server (it's already set up and stuff), if there wouldn't be this sleeping and exhaustion downside to mp at the moment. Which is gamebreaking to me.

Well, nuff said.

You can look forward to finding badly spelled yoda style written journals in this savegame soon! :D

I guess i should play my guy as a tourist from europe. Maybe some mixed in german cuss words would be a funny read. ;-)

/                          \

/           R.I.P.         \

|                               |

|        Dee                |

|            Crapio        |

|                               |

|       survived           |

|        15 d                |

|              23 h           |

|                               |

++++++++++++++++

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55474402/zomboid/Legacy%201m-5d-0y.rar

I've left two Journals and a few useful items gathered in two different not really hidden locations.

Although I enjoyed my stay I felt like I should end it at some point (with a bit of drama to discover).

Who's next? :-)

I created a simple mod that allows you to spawn a pen and journal by pressing "P".

To install:

1. Download the below zipped file.
  2. Unzip the file. I use Zipeg which is free.
  3. Save the unzipped file to your Mods folder in Project Zomboid. C:\Users\<your name>\Zomboid\mods
  4. Start Project Zomboid. Go to Mods on the Main Menu.
  5. Double click the "Pen and Journal Mod".
  6. I always restart Project Zomboid at this point. You probably don't need to but I do it anyway.
  7. Press "P" to spawn a pen and journal in your inventory.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/12478-pen-and-journal-mod/

I tried to upload my archive but it said the file was too big.

EDIT: Uploaded the file to filedropper.

The days are growing colder and the food is running out. Grant King survived for four days on scraps and cigarettes, claiming a safehouse and boarding it up using broken furniture. It was only when he tried to make the trek past the river-bridge that fatigue took over, and he was subject to a slow and painful death due to the unforgiving eating habits of the undead.

Have you got the guts to survive?

http://www.filedropper.com/legacy1m-5d-0y