Play My Legacy Save!

Jatta Pake

Updated Post (Jan 23, 2015):

Welcome! This thread hosts previously saved games from a single game I started called a "Legacy Game".  All players are welcome to join in the fun!

How this works: A player (anyone) downloads the latest save game (usually found towards the end of the most recent string of posts in this thread). The game is played until the character dies. Then the save is made available for the next player in this thread. (You can sign up for a free Dropbox account and put your save there, then post a link to download it in this thread). Installing save games is detailed at the bottom of this post.

FAQ:

1. Does the previous world and items carry over when the save is played by the next player? YES! For this reason, most players are keeping a journal in game to record their character's experiences. Later players will be able to find these journals.
  2. How long can I play my character in game? You can survive in game as long as you want. Live one day or eleven months.
  3. How long can I play my character in real life? Try to be aware that other players may be waiting for you to finish before playing your save. Most people play for a few days maximum but there is no rule. Keep in mind that if you are "bogarting" the save with a long play, someone may come along and start a new timeline.
  4. What happens if two people start playing the same save? Won't this get confusing? Yes it can be done, and yes it will get confusing. What will happen is that additional timelines will start to appear from the rip in the fabric of PZ space-time. Nothing wrong with that! We will call it the multiverse and probably start giving names to all the different timelines, like Legacy-616 and Legacy-911. The more the merrier.
  5. Can I use mods? Yes. But be courteous and let players know when you offer your save. Keep in mind some (most?) people may not want to play with mods activated so your timeline might die off. But I'm ok with timelines appearing that use mods. Legacy-Raincoat? Legacy-420?
  6. What if some jerk plays a save, goes around burning down the entire town, and uses up all the loot? Won't that ruin the game for the next guy? I think it will be survival of the fittest for timelines. Personally, I wouldn't want to play a save after someone did that. I would just play an earlier save and then post that save when I'm done. So if you want your save to become part of a continuing timeline, I'd suggest being lovely to your successors. Otherwise natural selection will cull your character from the lengthening multiverse.
  7. Final thoughts: Most people are role playing their characters rather than power gaming a long survival time. Focus tends to be on leaving journals over massive bases. Just a general guideline, not a rule.

Original Post:

Awhile back I suggested a type of play (in a thread I can no longer find) where one plays until death, then passes the game on to the next person, who plays until death. Keep repeating and see how far into the zombie apocalypse we can crowd source a single game.

A Legacy Game remains a single player game but adds time shifted multiplayer. You see evidence of other survivors but you will never encounter another survivor. So without further ado is the first Legacy Game. Unzip the download into your Zomboid Survival folder.

C:\Users\<your name here>\Zomboid\Survival

Details:

Survivor Mode

IWBUMS 30

(I made it only 9 days! Holy undead is build 30 bad ass now!!!!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrlwtxipcr3djhm/23-12-2014_07-07-48.zip?dl=0

When you die, drop your save game into this thread. Keep all discussions about your game in this thread in Spoiler tags.

Tip: Fill out a Journal for the next player to potentially find.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw Cthonic's update that he can't play anytime soon. Someone else can jump in and play. 

Perhaps we set a time limit on how long one has to play before someone else can jump in? Like 3 or 4 days? 24 hours? One week?

Alternatively, we could just start spawning Multiverses. If several people play the same save at the same time, we would have different save game time lines going. That could get really fun and crazy. I love time travel and multiverses so I vote let's just get crazy and get as many people playing saves as possible.

The multiverse idea could work. It could even be like giving the latest returned save to anyone who wants it when all other saves are taken. That way you keep the concept warm and you keep the supply and demand in balance. Along the way no doubt saves get lost, but that is really part of the concept

Shit I just downloaded the thing too.  I suggest you go first, it's probably to early to start the multiverse.

I'm all for keeping what happens in map world in map world for the time being. As far as I can tell this is going to be a longterm project that will last in-game years, so eventually the map will be riddled with traces of former players. Much of the fun is in the surprise and figuring out what happened to other people, me thinks.

Edit a) you'll automatically spawn in the town the OP (Original Player) choose which is Westpoint.

Edit b) Fuck the singular universe, We can always throw out my save later, I'm gonna play. Right. Now.

Aaaaand I'm dead.

Since I had no time or material to start a diary, a short overview of what went down. It doesn't spoil too much

I had an absolutely nightmarish spawn at night in an almost empty house surrounded by zambahz. I panicked, ran around, and after a while I spotted a nice property. I evicted the undead residents with the aid assorted cutlery which is even harder than it used to be. Took me a day, the Duggans lived there or something. I squealed a lot. After that I set up safehouse, and all went well, until I got too bold and decided to rob a goody building and the game unleashed it's full wrath on me.

I survived for 3 hours and 7 days

11/10 would squeal and die again

I renamed the safe file, with the number referring to the amount of days past in game. Which may be handy later on if this becomes a successful concept.

I also added a text file to record the (very basic) history of the save a bit. I think it would be fun if everyone who plays edits it so people get an idea who went before them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/asogvis4hjhmkvq/Legacy012.rar?dl=0

You going to be done on that save anytime soon Rass? I'd love to give it a go.

Well... The problem is that my guy is at day 24, started farming (8 cabbage patches) and the area around my base is pretty much clear (and I'm in the city center!). Depending on how this continues, I might just roleplay my guy into going crazy and finally running into a horde shooting his handgun like a maniac. Perhaps we could establish a max time played after which the player has to kill himself, so that we don't use up all the resources and kill all the zombies so fast. (Would it be possible to somehow respawn the zombies? In certain locations, the only danger is gonna be hunger since every non-perishable is gonna be looted and all the zombies are gonna be killed and that's kinda boring)

Well... The problem is that my guy is at day 24, started farming (8 cabbage patches) and the area around my base is pretty much clear (and I'm in the city center!). Depending on how this continues, I might just roleplay my guy into going crazy and finally running into a horde shooting his handgun like a maniac. Perhaps we could establish a max time played after which the player has to kill himself, so that we don't use up all the resources and kill all the zombies so fast. (Would it be possible to somehow respawn the zombies? In certain locations, the only danger is gonna be hunger since every non-perishable is gonna be looted and all the zombies are gonna be killed and that's kinda boring)

food and zombies should start to respawn after someone not being there for long enough, so as long as people are not always playing in the same area it shouldn't be a problem right? Edit: maybe each time a person plays they could play in a different town then the last person

I dislike the idea of a time limit, but you have a point. I think when you did your thing, you should roleplay yourself to your untimely demise.Maybe try to conquer the mall? Another option is that players have to leave West Point after a certain time limit. It would be courteous to not strip mine the place, so to speak. However, the idea is to play the map into the ground so later players have to roam a desolate wasteland. Also keep in mind that a new safe can be made in under 2 minutes. Hell, there's no reason for someone not to load my safe and create an alternative history in which your character never existed.

AFAIK zombies do re-spawn after you don't visit a place for while

Personal opinion, play until you die or get bored. If you hit late game boredom, go with your suicide plan. Since we are seeing how far into the future we can push a game, the next players will either move to greener pastures or die. If someone doesn't like a timeline, they can load up an older save and start a new timeline as Marinus suggests.

I think a world ravaged by successful plays is a neat concept. It will be more difficult! That is part of the fun.

Zombies do respawn after an area has been inactive. So a suicide run to a far corner of the map might make the safe house area dangerous again.

I can't wait any longer, i'm grabbing Marinus' save. I'll put mine up soon hopefully so we can keep the ball rolling. Edit: I should be done before the end of the day if anyone reading wants to jump in soon. Edit 2: Having map mods won't break the save game will it? I might have to remove mine first if that's the case, wouldn't want anyone in the future who's not using them to be unable to play.