New Denver, BC (V2.1)

Xeonyx

Xeonyx:

Thank you for all of your hard work.  I have been enjoying playing in this map.  It's a nice change from the two default maps with Project Zomboid.

I know from this thread that you're looking for any problems in the map so you can fix them, so here are a few I have found while exploring it over the past week or so.  All coordinates I am using come from the "New Denver, BC, v1.2" page on the Project Zomboid Map Project.

When I create a game with the map, Project Zomboid 30.15 on Steam, New Denver 1.2, I get the following errors in the console:

bRQSu2.png

In the back room of the shops at 5252x8125 (Cell 27x27, Rel 152x25), you cannot reach the bookshelf in the top left corner to loot it unless you sledgehammer out the washing machine or the bed.

EczQ2V.png

The exterior door at 8257x8142 (Cell 27x27, Rel 157x42) doesn't go anywhere.  If you open it (or destroy it), you are facing the building wall with no opening and no way to walk through.

BSYsgO.png

In the library at 8351x8156 (Cell 27x27, Rel 251x56), the inside stairs do not work properly.  You cannot go up them from the main room.  You can go down them from the upper level once you travel to the second floor via the outside staircases.  

I also cannot find a light switch for the main ground floor library, so it's always dark in there.  In fact, there do not seem to be any light switches in any of the rooms of this building.

SYkwFm.png

This may be a design decision on your part, but it seems odd to me.  At the bookstore located at 8177x8116 (Cell 27x27, Rel 77x16), the number of the basic "Book" items found is extremely high.  I found 20, 30, even 40 or more in various containers.  The first time I looted this store, I found over 800 of the "Book" item, plus about another 200 of the various training books.  The character did have the Lucky trait, if that makes a difference in checking your loot tables.

i18JAt.png

On the second floor of the shops at 8130x8140 (Cell 27x27, Rel 30x40), there is a set of stairs that seem to lead up to the third floor.  However, you cannot climb all the way to the top and get to that long room which is the third floor.  I also just noticed when trying to turn on the light in the room at the bottom of those stairs to get a brighter quality screenshot that the light switch does not seem to do anything.

mmk3Ns.png

The light switch in side the storage building at 8085x8138 (Cell 26x27, Rel 285x38) does not turn on the lights inside that building.

2fMcco.png

The light switch in the cafe at 8048x8133 (Cell 26x27, Rel 248x33) also does not turn on the lights.  I do really like the look of that cafe, and it's outdoor area.

ktCvdX.png

If I had to point out any overall problems, it would be the same problem that I have with the two original Project Zomboid maps:  I keep finding rooms without any light switches, as well as some where the light switches don't do anything.  Maybe it's just me, but this bothers my sense of order within the three maps.  (One of the starting houses in an official map has no working lights in any room.  I moved out immediately so that I could turn things on and see at night.)

I recognize this may be due to some limitation within Project Zomboid itself.  I have not looked into the map making tools that are available.

Again, thank you for all your hard work on this map.  It's a very impressive project.

Xeonyx:

Thank you for all of your hard work.  I have been enjoying playing in this map.  It's a nice change from the two default maps with Project Zomboid.

I know from this thread that you're looking for any problems in the map so you can fix them, so here are a few I have found while exploring it over the past week or so.  All coordinates I am using come from the "New Denver, BC, v1.2" page on the Project Zomboid Map Project.

When I create a game with the map, Project Zomboid 30.15 on Steam, New Denver 1.2, I get the following errors in the console:

bRQSu2.png

In the back room of the shops at 5252x8125 (Cell 27x27, Rel 152x25), you cannot reach the bookshelf in the top left corner to loot it unless you sledgehammer out the washing machine or the bed.

EczQ2V.png

The exterior door at 8257x8142 (Cell 27x27, Rel 157x42) doesn't go anywhere.  If you open it (or destroy it), you are facing the building wall with no opening and no way to walk through.

BSYsgO.png

In the library at 8351x8156 (Cell 27x27, Rel 251x56), the inside stairs do not work properly.  You cannot go up them from the main room.  You can go down them from the upper level once you travel to the second floor via the outside staircases.  

I also cannot find a light switch for the main ground floor library, so it's always dark in there.  In fact, there do not seem to be any light switches in any of the rooms of this building.

SYkwFm.png

This may be a design decision on your part, but it seems odd to me.  At the bookstore located at 8177x8116 (Cell 27x27, Rel 77x16), the number of the basic "Book" items found is extremely high.  I found 20, 30, even 40 or more in various containers.  The first time I looted this store, I found over 800 of the "Book" item, plus about another 200 of the various training books.  The character did have the Lucky trait, if that makes a difference in checking your loot tables.

i18JAt.png

On the second floor of the shops at 8130x8140 (Cell 27x27, Rel 30x40), there is a set of stairs that seem to lead up to the third floor.  However, you cannot climb all the way to the top and get to that long room which is the third floor.  I also just noticed when trying to turn on the light in the room at the bottom of those stairs to get a brighter quality screenshot that the light switch does not seem to do anything.

mmk3Ns.png

The light switch in side the storage building at 8085x8138 (Cell 26x27, Rel 285x38) does not turn on the lights inside that building.

2fMcco.png

The light switch in the cafe at 8048x8133 (Cell 26x27, Rel 248x33) also does not turn on the lights.  I do really like the look of that cafe, and it's outdoor area.

ktCvdX.png

If I had to point out any overall problems, it would be the same problem that I have with the two original Project Zomboid maps:  I keep finding rooms without any light switches, as well as some where the light switches don't do anything.  Maybe it's just me, but this bothers my sense of order within the three maps.  (One of the starting houses in an official map has no working lights in any room.  I moved out immediately so that I could turn things on and see at night.)

I recognize this may be due to some limitation within Project Zomboid itself.  I have not looked into the map making tools that are available.

Again, thank you for all your hard work on this map.  It's a very impressive project.

Thanks for the info, I'll have an update ready today, I killed enough bugs to make the update worth it now.  

Trying to get this to work for a server for my friends and myself. No luck. Posted more info here! http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/12419-help-setting-up-new-denver-for-multiplayer-server/

I'm not too sure of the specifics required to make the map run in a server, sorry, someone else may know though

How do I get out of the forest and into the town from the spawn point?

Never mind I finally got it to work proper, my extraction kept missing a file but I was able fix it by manuly moveing all files.

Edited by Vaseline

First of all - thank you so much Xeonyx for your amazing work - Kept me already awake until the late hours for two days in a row.

Your work is so much appreciated.

One remark - and maybe it is me - I find no area where I can forage in the woods.

Is this a bug, did you not mark the areas where you can forage, or did I just miss them?

I hadn't had any luck to find an axe yet - so it would be nice to at least craft a stone axe.

One remark - and maybe it is me - I find no area where I can forage in the woods.

Is this a bug, did you not mark the areas where you can forage, or did I just miss them?

Your post got me curious, so I did some digging. It turns out that the problem is that there are no defined zones for things like trapping and foraging within the area covered by the New Denver map. I too have been playing this map lately, but since I had been ignoring foraging, I hadn't noticed this lack yet. (It probably explains why that one trap I put down hasn't caught anything yet.)

Short version: Right now, you won't be able to forage anywhere on this map as far as I can tell from the game code.  Xeonyx is working on it.

Longer version: This same issue is a problem for stand-along maps. An objects.lua file is needed for each map directory in order to detail out what type of zone an area is in. (i.e. ""DeepForest", "TownZone", "TrailerPark".

The Muldraugh directory does have an objects.lua in it, but looking through the code in that file, it does not define any zone types as far out as New Denver currently sits on the map. (For a visual reference, the definitions end roughly at that wide strip of grass between New Denver and Muldraugh that looks kind of like a river.) This means that the things like trapping and foraging which rely on those zones being set won't work because you're not in the proper "zone".

My guess would be that the PZ devs just figured nobody would be out there trying to survive since it was all empty anyway. ;)

I found a thread where PZ Dev EasyPickins talks about adding the zones located here.  The very last post is Xeonyx asking about the zoning, so I'd bet New Denver's issue is being worked on now.

Hrm, New Denver wasn't there, seems I did something wrong. I left my guy running on auto-pilot, so nothing is really lost, but he's now running against a lack border

Hey, I have the same problem, how did you fix it ? 

:)

I also had this issue and I had to manually drag each file from the down load into there respected place in the PZ file.

Speaking as someone who visits New Denver every summer, I was super excited to hear about this.  Great work, Xeonyx!  I look forward to building my safehouse in the Apple Tree!  I also look forward to showing this to some of my friends that live in the area.

If any of you are ever in the neighborhood in real life, you have to stop at the Apple Tree and get a breakfast bagel.  Best food you'll ever eat!

How do I get out of the forest and into the town from the spawn point?

Never mind I finally got it to work proper, my extraction kept missing a file but I was able fix it by manuly moveing all files.

Maybe you should elaborate for people who expect this to work when launched.  I am have the same problem and I have no idea how to fix.  Thanks.

EDIT:

Fixed it by download the map files directly and following provided instructions.

I followed instructions for installing this map mod under username/Zomboid/mods, yet I am unable to see this in my mods menu after booting up Project Zomboid. Nor can I reach this location in game, do I need to extract the files to this mod to a different location? I have a pc

I followed instructions for installing this map mod under username/Zomboid/mods, yet I am unable to see this in my mods menu after booting up Project Zomboid. Nor can I reach this location in game, do I need to extract the files to this mod to a different location? I have a pc

Hello, do not install under mods.  Read the provided ReadMe file for the clearest instructions.  I was having trouble as well but now I am playing.  Make sure you extract the *contents* of "mapfiles" to the Muldraugh folder found in steam/steamapps/common/projectzomboid/media/maps/Muldraugh, KY .  Do not stick the entire folder into it, just the contained files.  Then, take the *entire* New Denver folder, folder and all, and put that in your steam/steamapps/common/projectzomboid/media/maps.  This should do it.  If you've done these things and it still doesn't work then I am not exactly sure.

Sorry for the disappearing act, just so happened to have a full hand of lazy cards.  I'm still working on the object.lua ATM, I thought I had it, but nay, so needless to say, it'll be a little more time yet before the V1.4 gets released.  Sorry for the hiatus y'all, I'mma get back on the bandwagon and finish what needs to be finished.

No problem man, we are all just grateful for your amazing work.

However, I find myself checking this thread every day - just to know if the object.lua is already there.

Maybe it is better this way... otherwise my social life is going to die again for some days. :P

Take your time, but know that your effort is appreciated!

First of all I love Your map!!! I have been wandering around muldraugh and west point for a while and i needed a new challenges, something I found in this map so thumbs up. 

Just some notes mabey you can change it or its just a zomboid bug I don't know,

1) I find allot of shelves or book shelves empty (By image) but when I look inside,

there are indeed some items. 

2) There are normal items inside stoves, micro waves, enz but in other maps there aint any items in those places.

Maybe someone else has already posted these bugs, then I'm sorry for bothering. Keep up the good work and thanx

First of all amazing map really impressive and makes me want to try making one. :)

Secondly and I don't know if this has already been answered, how would one go about playing this map on multiplayer? I assume it cannot be added as a mod since the files are saved in the map section rather than mod.

Anyone have any knowledge of how you would achieve this? :)