Restrains & More (Idea Compilation)

doomblood66

Hello all,

I recently came back to project zomboid after a break playing other games, while doing so I gathered a few concepts from these games which I thought might help/improve zomboid.

I would make these ideas into mods myself if I could code in Lua ( I'm currently working on learning it), but seeing as tho I can't i decided to post my ideas here, I understand completely if the devs dislike suggestions when the asker has no concept of feasibility...if you feel it has been suggested before please feel free to link it :)

1) restraints - zip ties or handcuffs

My first idea is a restraint, something that can be used to hold a npc or player captive. Some benefits of this would be being able to use hostages for trade or ransom or perhaps you want to leave them for dead, or have no guts to kill them, it could also be used for players RPing as cops.

2) NPCs

If and when the NPC survivors are released I think it would be cool if some of them still did their job I.E police, farmers etc.

3) military

If and when the military are released I think it would be cool if they weren't just Kill on sight nuts, maybe they are cut off and become regular survivors and want to trade, or try and quarantine people.

Thanks for reading :) there was a few other suggestions such as plugging bathtubs that have already been suggested that I left out, any thoughts are welcome!

Restraints are a Confirmed No. Military are a watch-this-space entry, they are planning to add fort knox to the map.

What a shame.

If you really want them, feel free to make a mod to add them, that's what the modding system is there for :)

Restraints are a Confirmed No. Military are a watch-this-space entry, they are planning to add fort knox to the map.

What a shame.

If you really want them, feel free to make a mod to add them, that's what the modding system is there for :)

can i ask what the reason was for the "confirmed no"?

just curious.

just curious.

You can ask.

It's been discussed at length before, they may have said on one of the older threads. Try searching for 'restraints' or 'handcuffs'. I don't recall the reason, but they don't always have to give one, it is their game :)

just curious.

You can ask.

It's been discussed at length before, they may have said on one of the older threads. Try searching for 'restraints' or 'handcuffs'. I don't recall the reason, but they don't always have to give one, it is their game :)

just curious.

IIRC one of the reasons was that it takes too much power away from the player and in that sense takes control away from you. It's generally an un-fun idea to take control away from the player.

true. fair enough. cheers guys.

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I recently came back to project zomboid after a break playing other games, while doing so I gathered a few concepts from these games which I thought might help/improve zomboid.

I would make these ideas into mods myself if I could code in Lua ( I'm currently working on learning it), but seeing as tho I can't i decided to post my ideas here, I understand completely if the devs dislike suggestions when the asker has no concept of feasibility...if you feel it has been suggested before please feel free to link it :)

1) restraints - zip ties or handcuffs

My first idea is a restraint, something that can be used to hold a npc or player captive. Some benefits of this would be being able to use hostages for trade or ransom or perhaps you want to leave them for dead, or have no guts to kill them, it could also be used for players RPing as cops.

2) NPCs

If and when the NPC survivors are released I think it would be cool if some of them still did their job I.E police, farmers etc.

3) military

If and when the military are released I think it would be cool if they weren't just Kill on sight nuts, maybe they are cut off and become regular survivors and want to trade, or try and quarantine people.

Thanks for reading :) there was a few other suggestions such as plugging bathtubs that have already been suggested that I left out, any thoughts are welcome!

i cried when i read this.  I think with how MP has grown for the game the idea behind restraints is a fantastic idea.  You have factions going at it on servers.  People taking people hostage for ransoms.  The restraint would add a whole new level to the whole immersive environment.  I've had many incidents where i told someone to drop their items and would totally of handcuffed them if an option but yet they pull out a pistol after they claim they dropped everything because well who knows really why. People like to be difficult.

Before MP has gotten to the point where it is now I certainly would agree there was no need for those types of items but now you have servers that are blowing up people capping out smaller servers, MP is going very well.

But then again so has the modding community and the ease and access to tools and distribution of the mod development.

Well, I find that just pointing a gun at someone should be restraint enough. They will probably obey your orders and you can just lure them into a cage.

sadly that isnt the case.

I was refering to NPCs, when they come out. In Multiplayer, Im not sure how people would behave, since I only play Singleplayer

Well, I find that just pointing a gun at someone should be restraint enough. They will probably obey your orders and you can just lure them into a cage.

sadly that isnt the case.

I was refering to NPCs, when they come out. In Multiplayer, Im not sure how people would behave, since I only play Singleplayer

oh yeah for sure NPC's will be very fun. I am the opposite though, I haven't really played much SP only multiplayer RP.

I think maybe for singleplayer this could work so we as the player can maybe restrain the NPCs and then maybe trade them for supplies and whatnot - but I think (probably the the devs were thinking) for MP it is a big NO, we don't need this game to become another DayZ or InsertOtherGameHere.

I think for MP purposes having restrains takes to much power away from the player and that is how those other games are like and because that, that is why the community is garbage since all people do is kill or restrain you to keep you as a slave no less.