planting trees ? making charcoal ?

psykikk

Compared to the game's time scale, trees take pretty long time to grow to useful size. Also last I checked about 1/4th or more of the map is covered by trees, you're not going to run out any time soon.

Besides, doesn't Erosion already handle this to a degree?

xD u play minecraft right?

Trees: it was suggested way back , answers were : there are tons of trees out there no need bla, they would take too long to grow its unrealistic.

but since the erosion mod is in trees regrow over time.

and with regrow and foraging u can get twigs for your campfire.

Depending on how long it takes trees to grow in the game (I've never set out to see how long it takes, so I wouldn't know) it might make for a good idea to be able to plant saplings of your own choosing. Having a bunch of fruit and nut trees would be awesome.

Compared to the game's time scale, trees take pretty long time to grow to useful size. Also last I checked about 1/4th or more of the map is covered by trees, you're not going to run out any time soon.

Besides, doesn't Erosion already handle this to a degree?

Actually theres a kind of Tree (forget the name) I think the Empress Tree? They grow like 25 feet in year.

...Having a bunch of fruit and nut trees would be awesome.

THIS!

We have apples, just put one in the ground and nature should take care of the rest. Sure it'll take a long time to mature, but why not? You just might live long enough to see the fruits of your labor!

I fell that it should need to be watered and taken care of until it grows large enough so it wont die if you leave for a day or two. Winter could also kill it if you don't get it big enough before winter. I know i tried to grow a tree in my yard and the frosts killed that off in a matter of days. It didn't stand much of a chance but when i planted it in spring and it took off. Thing hasn't needed care since besides a little water once or twice a summer.

Making charcoal shouldn't be too hard in a survival situation, you're just making a fire burn for a long time in an oxygen poor environment to reduce complex organics (i.e: Cellulose) into mostly carbon. I'm certain a quick Google search would turn up ways to do it.

As for why you'd need charcoal? I'd say several reasons. Using kettle BBQs or wood-burning stoves scattered around the map (this also means you should be able to find bags of charcoal floating around as loot items), using in a survivalist's filtration setup if we ever need to purify water, and, well, charcoal.

By that I mean, take a piece of charcoal, and you could use it instead of a pen/pencil when writing in a journal or making doodles. Hell, craft a piece of ripped sheet with several pieces of charcoal (helps keep the black stuff off your hands, makes it easier to hold :P), and you could make a nice fat stick suitable for leaving markings on the walls and floors. Of course, rain would quickly remove any markings you leave outdoors, but a fat-drawing-piece-of-charcoal should be easier to come by than a bucket of paint, especially if you're unwilling, or unable, to hit a warehouse for supplies.

Logs can already be foraged indefinitely with as of yet no chance to faint from being tired.

Charcoal can be made with a saw, a shovel and a source of fire irl. Although a lot of digging is required. Getting just a couple of flat metal sheets (at least 0.5 cm thick) and using mere raw clay could give a furnace chamber many times more easy to construct and deconstruct. Lowest layer - open cave with burning stuff, then horizontal metal sheet, then well like clay chamber, then another sheet for removable cover - all covered with ground to look like a mound for keeping heat in and air out. Ah and if you can't find the sheets - find metal bars and use as support for sewer well doors to do the same. Or those get eaten by zombies too? P.S. might need a couple of pipes for minor air management, but in all its cretin size simple.

Charcoal could be the necessary fuel type for inside ovens. Why not put wood there? Well if the chamber was designed for coal - it's somewhat smaller than would be convenient to use wood in. Why not use coal in chambers designed for wood - they might be thin for the heat, often closer to wooden walls etc than acceptable with such heat. What's the biggest plus of charcoal - portability and divideability. A bag (sandbag size) of charcoal is worth a couple of logs and can be used in very minor portions.

Charcoal could be the necessary fuel type for inside ovens. Why not put wood there?

The majority of ovens in the US are either natural gas (not propane) or electric. Though antique wood stoves for cooking do exist in rural areas, they're very rare.

That said, there are charcoal brick-ette barbecues already in the game (the red, circular ones). I believe it's possible to start a wood fire in them?