Suicide option when severely depressed.

Jangles

I feel like this has to have come through here before but if so allow me to re-mention it.

If you make it to the severely depressed moodle, and are holding a weapon, if you right click yourself you should get the option, "End it all."

Just would be a funny little easter egg for people since it wouldn't be commonly seen.

I second this! Holding different types of weapons, sleeping pills, bleach etc. should also have a similar option!

But you can already take more sleeping pills than necessary. And you can drink bleach.

So you can overdose on sleeping pills, and actually die from drinking bleach? I never managed this, the few times I've tried.

How about your character decides to commit suicide? The NPC AI takes over you character and commits suicide by burning or shooting him/herself, running into a horde of zombies, drinking bleach, cutting through the veins, jumping from a great heigt and so on.

I actually like this idea very much if it is hard enough to trigger the mechanic.

Depression IRL makes it difficult to want to do or accomplish anything, even getting out of bed is difficult. Some people self harm, others have suicidal thoughts.

Possible things depression could cause:

Slows skill progression, a lack of motivation to bother learning causes your character to gain less xp per actions performed.

Giving up on tasks part way through. Your character may just abruptly decide to not finish the magazine he or she was reading. Perhaps even finding the food they are preparing worthless and dumping it out mid prep.

Sleeping lasts longer, so does resting. Why bother getting out of bed when there is nothing to get up for?

Your character moves more slowly, moping about.

The deeper someone gets in to depression the harder it is to get out. Each stage of depression the game should half the amount of happiness gained from anything except anti-depression pills.

Self harm, a character may begin to pick and scratch at their own skin, pull out hair, or cutting. Random scratches and, assuming depression gets bad enough, a deep cut to the arm accompanied with bleeding could give interesting obstacles and legitimate concerns for becoming depressed. The deep cut would indicate a suicide attempt that would give consequence for being depressed and still remain within a players control rather than an insta death.

And as per mentioned in my first post, If you make it all the way to the severely depressed stage and you have a gun, an end it all option could appear which would still give you control over the situation, but be expressive of how depressed your character truly has become. Perhaps if more things are implemented to make depression suck an end it all option would even seem viable.

If all my suggestions were implemented; at severely depressed you'd be hurting yourself regularly, randomly giving up on tasks, moving slower, can never get rid of tired moodle, when you do sleep you sleep nearly entire days, can't learn new skills, and the happiness you'd get from any given item would be moot, so without anti-depressants you'd be stuck this way. End it all doesn't seem like a terrible option suddenly.

I like the idea of having side effects for having your character depressed but not to the point of randomly injuring yourself as it may be hard for the player to understand what is happening especially if they are hypochondriacs. I do however like the idea that tasks would be performed slower or given up on depending on how deeply into depression the character is and that the learning process would be slowed and the being sleepy more often with sleep having a lower effect at relieving the tired moodlet. I also think in addition to these things that being depressed would also increase your risk of infection and getting sick by other means as a lot of stress tends to lower your immune system.

• 1 month later...

I second this! Holding different types of weapons, sleeping pills, bleach etc. should also have a similar option!

But you can already take more sleeping pills than necessary. And you can drink bleach.
But there are so many fun ways to do it! Take a rope and soap, bullet to the head, cutting oneself with a knife, drowning oneself in a sink... All of these are useful if you're trapped in a room with no bleach, pills or windows. Plus, roleplay side of it

But there are so many fun ways to do it! Take a rope and soap, bullet to the head, cutting oneself with a knife, drowning oneself in a sink... All of these are useful if you're trapped in a room with no bleach, pills or windows. Plus, roleplay side of it

And now imagine that on multiplayer someone get to bathroom and find a corpse floating in a bathtub with bloody scars on wrists... weird, so i like it ;)

P.S: I Apologise for my weird english quality ;)