Yet Another Silencer Thread (That will be locked if it gets out of hand . . . )

psykikk

I love how the general argument is: an unsuppressed gun would draw zombies from a larger range then the game does at the moment (so its unrealistic), so a realistic suppressed gun would drawn them from even further then that, so they are useless. If the current gun sounds range isn't realistic, why cant a suppressed gun range be equally unrealistic?

I love how the general argument is: an unsuppressed gun would draw zombies from a larger range then the game does at the moment (so its unrealistic), so a realistic suppressed gun would drawn them from even further then that, so they are useless. If the current gun sounds range isn't realistic, why cant a suppressed gun range be equally unrealistic?

The only reason the current gun sound is unrealistic is because it's impossible to have the game engine draw zombies from farther than they exist, not because the devs chose to make it unrealistic. There's a very, very clear difference there and a whole slew of other reasons you're happily ignoring (again).

I've read recently about suggestions on suppressor mods. All of which have been shot down with reasons like, 

1. It's a small town so they would be very rare.

2. Normal people are not weapons experts and wouldn't understand how to use or operate one.

3. The would be OP.

4. IRL they are not very effective compared to "Hollywood"

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I must say that I have to disagree.

1. I lived in South Georgia in a small town with less than 25k people, Suppressors where not in every store but 20 miles away Gander MT sold some and even our Local pawn had some .22lr suppressors.

That's just counting the legal ones. N/A made one before, completely legit, learned off of youtube and still has it on his firearm today. He barely even needed welding skills. Also I've seen Lots of improvised ones that worked quite well. It's the South so guns are pretty much a way of life. Especially In more rural community's. Mostly everyone is quite experienced with firearms of all types. You would be shocked at some of the weaponry some people have. As far as Bow's go, they are everywhere and I would even go as far as to say that for every 1 gun there are 4 bows.

2. Seeing as it's Rural KT, I can almost guarantee you about 90% of anyone over 14 years old has some firearms experience. With hunting and just the fact that it's a southern-ish rural area, It's not a stretch for people to have high end AR15's and even Federal stamps for Automatic weapons. Refer to back to 1.

3. I can kind of agree. The suppressor would be a big advantage. I believe that they should have a shot limit of some sort. Even though most professional built suppressors are very durable. It is a game though and needs "Balance"

4. When using sub-sonic ammo, suppressors are frighteningly effective. Suppressors are least effective when using regular ammunition because of the fact that the round goes super sonic, IE the main source of the noise. That would have to be discussed upon a decision to bring them ingame.

I kind of wanted to debunk those first two. As I lived in a rural area and the more deserted it gets. The more guns you see. Not always Select Fire Rifles but it's not a stretch to find someone has a .50BMG just for the hell of it. Mostly handguns, lever and bolt action rifles and shotguns, LOTS of shotguns. I now live in Orlando Florida, I can say that the gun count here as far as everyone I know is through the roof. Higher cost of living and political reign means High end firearms, and lots of them. Not many hunting related guns as far as I've seen.  

Thanks for the read, feel free to correct any facts you believe I've misunderstood or stated incorrectly. Love the game and I'm happy to be apart of the community. I hope this game is nowhere near dying.

I've read recently about suggestions on suppressor mods. All of which have been shot down with reasons like, 

1. It's a small town so they would be very rare.

2. Normal people are not weapons experts and wouldn't understand how to use or operate one.

3. The would be OP.

4. IRL they are not very effective compared to "Hollywood"

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I must say that I have to disagree.

1. I lived in South Georgia in a small town with less than 25k people, Suppressors where not in every store but 20 miles away Gander MT sold some and even our Local pawn had some .22lr suppressors.

That's just counting the legal ones. N/A made one before, completely legit, learned off of youtube and still has it on his firearm today. He barely even needed welding skills. Also I've seen Lots of improvised ones that worked quite well. It's the South so guns are pretty much a way of life. Especially In more rural community's. Mostly everyone is quite experienced with firearms of all types. You would be shocked at some of the weaponry some people have. As far as Bow's go, they are everywhere and I would even go as far as to say that for every 1 gun there are 4 bows.

2. Seeing as it's Rural KT, I can almost guarantee you about 90% of anyone over 14 years old has some firearms experience. With hunting and just the fact that it's a southern-ish rural area, It's not a stretch for people to have high end AR15's and even Federal stamps for Automatic weapons. Refer to back to 1.

3. I can kind of agree. The suppressor would be a big advantage. I believe that they should have a shot limit of some sort. Even though most professional built suppressors are very durable. It is a game though and needs "Balance"

4. When using sub-sonic ammo, suppressors are frighteningly effective. Suppressors are least effective when using regular ammunition because of the fact that the round goes super sonic, IE the main source of the noise. That would have to be discussed upon a decision to bring them ingame.

I kind of wanted to debunk those first two. As I lived in a rural area and the more deserted it gets. The more guns you see. Not always Select Fire Rifles but it's not a stretch to find someone has a .50BMG just for the hell of it. Mostly handguns, lever and bolt action rifles and shotguns, LOTS of shotguns. I now live in Orlando Florida, I can say that the gun count here as far as everyone I know is through the roof. Higher cost of living and political reign means High end firearms, and lots of them. Not many hunting related guns as far as I've seen.  

Thanks for the read, feel free to correct any facts you believe I've misunderstood or stated incorrectly. Love the game and I'm happy to be apart of the community. I hope this game is nowhere near dying.

1. As Rathlord has said, there are less than 10,000 registered suppressors in the whole of Kentucky which has 4,380,000 residents. Even if you'd double that amount thinking about illegal ones your percentages would be less than 0,005% per person. I don't think we should go

2. I have no quarrel about this one, I don't find it a plausible reason not to introduce silencers if solely based on this.

3. Would definitely be OP in my opinion as the guns regular draw range is already so little. (well not compared to many other games but to reality...)

4. Frighteningly effective but still over 110dB (with subsonics) which is rock concert loud as I said above. This would and should effect zombies in the maximum draw range we currently have.

5. RobertJohnson aka Romain the overly French developer has personally said that he does not want to add suppressors to the game.

All in all if they can amp up the draw range of the regular shot to what it would at least semi realistically be, then I'd be fine if we'd have a 0.005% (or maybe even 0.01%! :eek:  :-Dof course it shouldn't be per container as it's counted in game, but rather per house) chance of finding a suppressor that'd semi correctly represent the dropping of the sound radius ie. larger area that currently draws zombies. But that's just like my opinion man. And this is all with RJ then changing his personal opinion on the subject which he as a dev has a right to.

Seems that I missed alot of this topic. In any case I can't disagree. I guess it's a lost cause. Just thought I would put my two cents in.

It's definitely good to have feedback either way. I (and TIS) appreciate everyone who chimes in on this kind of thing, regardless of where you stand on it.

The only reason the current gun sound is unrealistic is because it's impossible to have the game engine draw zombies from farther than they exist, not because the devs chose to make it unrealistic. There's a very, very clear difference there and a whole slew of other reasons you're happily ignoring (again).

No I think it is you who is ignoring my argument.

The game has already taken many liberties with realism - either for game play purposes or because of limitations of the engine. What I'm saying is that if the sound of a gunshot is already unrealistic (for whatever reason) I don't see why a suppressed gunshot cant simply be scaled to the same level of unrealisum. If a unsuppressed gunshot draws zed from X range, a suppressed shot draws from 2/3 of X range.

As for the average joe making one, I question the ability of an average joe to make a full, able to be lived in structure from scraps of doors or better from lumber made with just a saw, to be able to fish well enough to sustain them selves or be able to run from one town to another without a break. Again, liberties taken either for the sake of gameplay or limitations.

It's a confirmed no, so any arguments as to why it should be in the game aren't going to gain any traction, regardless of Rathlord's or your own points. This thread isn't allowed to exist to continue advocating their inclusion, but to simply provide a place for people to a) find their answer quickly, b) find some "facts" on silencers, and c) for us to place any new threads that crop up.

That said, Mikhail:

Your idea is similar to what I've suggested in the past when this has been brought up: Either fake it by just decreasing the sound (communicated to the player) without changing any mechanics. People get their silencer. It's realistically ineffectual. Everyone is happy, unless they bother to find out the truth.

Some of this might be a bit outdated now, but . . .

Zombies exist as metagroups outside of a 50 x 50 area (call it all of 50 feet in either direction from the player). They only exist and move as individuals when that 50 x 50 area is loaded. Dropping the distance that gunshot's sound travels would accomplish nothing . . .

Any reduction in its current horde-drawing potential is just going to look sort of silly.

The game has already taken many liberties with realism - either for game play purposes or because of limitations of the engine. What I'm saying is that if the sound of a gunshot is already unrealistic (for whatever reason) I don't see why a suppressed gunshot cant simply be scaled to the same level of unrealisum. If a unsuppressed gunshot draws zed from X range, a suppressed shot draws from 2/3 of X range.

As for the average joe making one, I question the ability of an average joe to make a full, able to be lived in structure from scraps of doors or better from lumber made with just a saw, to be able to fish well enough to sustain them selves or be able to run from one town to another without a break. Again, liberties taken either for the sake of gameplay or limitations.

There is no "for one reason or another" in this situation. There is ONE reason. Because the engine won't let them do it any other way. This is not a gameplay concession the devs are willing to make. Can't be any more clear of a situation than that.

As for making a livable structure... well, I've done it myself with no carpentry experience, no plumbing experience, and no electrical experience. And yet, I now have a fully livable, heated, plumbed cabin that I built from the ground up, in real life.