Power Generators

poodude28

Power generators would be a cool feature because it would be a way to attempt to keep the power on in your safehouse, gas is pretty hard to find at the moment with the apocalypse occuring, everyone would have tried to get as much gas possible so alot of the gas stations would be empty. So I don't think power generators would be overpowered because of gas being rare.

I think it would only be gas. Just makes sense that way. Anything else might be too OP.

Well wind only comes and goes plus it barley makes anything, then solar is rare and only day limited not including clouds or night.then water would be depended on water flow and require a big bulky thing to create. Gas would be big and able to be placed inside. It also would make noise and require rare and precious gas. I don't see it as too op unless u used them all. That would be next to impossible as well since u cant make electrical systems.

Snip

Well wind only comes and goes plus it barley makes anything, then solar is rare and only day limited not including clouds or night.then water would be depended on water flow and require a big bulky thing to create. Gas would be big and able to be placed inside. It also would make noise and require rare and precious gas. I don't see it as too op unless u used them all. That would be next to impossible as well since u cant make electrical systems.

What about the water? (river I believe it is) in west point. That would be an infinite amount of water and essentially turn it into an OP situation. Or they would need to not allow you to use that which would break immersion. 

There doesn't necessarily need to be an entire power plant on the river. The amount of energy gained from water would require large turbines pushed by a fast current to make a lot of power. So it may be a consistent but weak source of energy until you can get more turbines up. By the late game it shouldn't matter too much because you already have a square mile sized fortress with enough farms to feed all the poor in Botswana.

• 2 weeks later...

Bicycle-powered generators exist IRL. They tend to have an output dependant on how long you charge them.

These would be good if you set up lights around your fort, and it would be cool if using them improved your character's "Sprint" ability.

lol, this would be funny in multi player. newbie players generating power to recharge the batteries while the vet players build and farm. everyone has a job.

the problem with turbines is, you cant really use the energy as its generated. you need to store it in large batteries (not AAs). you would need to build the turbines, not easy stuff. requires special tools too.

power generation should be small scale and resource dependant. Bicycle-powered generators require people and people require food, so thats fine.

maybe some buildings could have solar or wind power built in. one or two trailer park dwellings, a farm house maybe one of those hippie organic food stores.

hospitals often have generators in the basements.

What about bio fuel generators, I mean there's a way to not make them too OP, fresh vegetables would give more power than rotten ones but both can be used to power a generator, it'd be better than leaving rotten veg laying around or all used in traps, just saying, ofc its my idea so sorry if it sounds stupid

They've already said power generators of various types, and electricity mechanisms are something they'd like to implement. It's fairly complex though, so not definite. They'll need to be careful to limit them for balancing issues.

They've already said power generators of various types, and electricity mechanisms are something they'd like to implement. It's fairly complex though, so not definite. They'll need to be careful to limit them for balancing issues.

I don't suppose this would extend to solar would it? I mean it would be killer to just find some rechargeable batteries for flashlights/lamps which you could use a small solar panel on your roof to charge over time, also ipods or whatever if they are added later.

Other than maybe powering a refridgerator I can't really see much use for a generator. Maybe your stove if it was electric but I would still rather see the ability to build an indoor fireplace/wood stove over powering your current one with gas generators, gas is just not a long term solution plus gas generators are loud as hell.

I would actually like to see solar as an option. You'd have to scavenge a LOT of solar equipment to make it work. It's not like oh one tiny panel my fridge and stove are great - you'd need lots of panels, build a way onto your roof, setting it up, a use for wire to wire it in...

Gas generators I lol at because they're so friggin' noisy. Really! I'd never use one in PZ. The zombies that you'd drag in ... you can hear a gas generator for well over a mile, probably more in a quiet area (which the town would be with everybody dead!).