Maps + Pen

edusaraiva

Since we don't have maps and pen have no real use in game.

I though if it is possible to implement something like a paper map for each city... but one that you could write with a pen... just to take notes... maybe able to X where you have already explored.

I know that it already exist http://pzmap.crash-override.net/, but I think is kind of a cheat to use this.

Not like a minimap... but something you have to open in your screen, when you hold in your primary slot.

post-19727-0-73147300-1418317378_thumb.j

'Ere be treasure. Yarr!

Aye. This has been suggested quite a lot and at least the map part is planned like you described it, as parts of the world. The markings I'm not a 100% on.

Nice job matey.

I think that it should be something like a road map or possibly map fragments. Or a drawn map but each would have to have disadvantages. Like the drawn one could be less detailed and in poorly drawn graphics. Then the road map would have more roads then building and map fragments would just be scattered around requiring tape to fix.

pen have no real use in game.

You've never stabbed a zombie with a pen??

Me neither, it's a terrible idea. You can keep a journal with them, though.

Maps are a good idea, and I've noticed art assets for them, so they'll no doubt appear at some point. Probably road maps you can pick up which are just an in-game alternative to the map project. It'll be nice if you can add markers to them.

Have to slightly disagree to this post. Cuz reading a paper map outside of a city with signs all over is a bit of a pain. Might agree to it strictly for a park ranger and maybe couple of future profs though. Why so few - because irl it's that hardcore AND because everyone will either remember the map soon enough or will just browse internet.

• 2 weeks later...

Could always try to implement a map sort of like in the game state of decay were the world carries on while looking at the map so it's more dangerous to use one, also what you could do with the pen idea is to have a few different marks/symbols ie. Crosses, ticks, circles, and many more but each symbol does not have a specific meaning, as in you decide which mark is for what, for example you could pick to use a cross to mark a place you have fully searched, but your friend could have used a circle ....just a small idea to make it feel like it's more of a personal map rather than a generic forced map options, also the map could not be found all in one piece (apart from the odd very VERY rare occasions) so by this I mean you find teamed map pieces which you use tape to fix the map pieces into a whole

I like the idea of a hand drawn map.

you carry a piece of paper and a pen. right click on paper and "draw map". 15sec your immediate surroundings are drawn in. simple roads and squares for buildings. only what you can see. label buildings if you wish.

you move to a new area right click on map and "update map". you cant just walk and draw. drawing takes time.

when the page is full you can expand it with more pages and tape.

pre-made maps would be good too, but larger and more zoomed out. they could be found in gas stations.

big maps can be unwieldy and should take time to "deploy".

yes, people can just look up the zomboid map on the internet. yes, you could just draw the map in real life as you play. your choice. but ingame maps can be left arround the game world for other players to find and use.

edit* the map would be pre-drawn your really just revealing it. changes such as buildings destroyed or built would just be represented as additional squares drawn in as and when.