Move 'pass out' description from tiredness to exhaustion.

MrZombifiedGamer

(Yes, I realize the pass out thing isn't implemented yet.)

Okay, so here's my suggestion. I just mentioned this in another thread and made me really want to post this to get some devs comments. You know how in the tiredness moodle it says 'in danger of passing out' right? Well I suggest with the new implementation of exhaustion we instead move that to exhaustion and the side effect from lack of sleep can instead be hallucinations. 

I see two main purposes for this. 

1st. Realism. Honestly, I've never passed out from being too tired. But what I have passed out from is heat and exhaustion. But never from being too tired.

2nd, Avoidance of unnecessary and more importantly immersion breaking annoyance. Think about it, you're tired and so you pass out in the street while running from a horde? Even if you aren't exhausted? I could see you being extremely exhausted and you just pass out there but from being tired? 

~Alternatives if the above is not to your liking~

Now here's an alternative if my suggestion seems a bit too radical. How about we tie in the 'pass out' chances directly to the exhaustion. In other words, even if you're completely dead tired, you won't have any chance of passing out until you do become exhausted. The more exhausted the higher the chances. Just to keep from breaking the immersion. 

I really really really really hope to get some feedback on this. Do you think we should tie tiredness and exhaustion into each other some way? Or just move the pass out chances directly over to exhaustion instead and instead replace the pass out with tiredness with some form or multiple forms of hallucinations? 

But if it can be argued either way don't you think it makes sense to tie the two in together? I mean my alternative suggestion was literally off the cuff and it only came about because it makes perfect sense why it would work that way. It was certainly make exhaustion a lot more powerful without even having to do anything to it. 

Nice idea! Though, I think both should have a chance to cause survivors to pass out and just compound one another as they progress, and that being more sleepy should also reduce recovery from exhaustion if it doesn't already.

EDIT: Oh no! I forgot to mention that I thought your second plan was especially satisfactory! I thought your second plan was especially satisfactory.

There are some athletes who pass out due to extreme effort... so actually both instances are possible and I agree with Footmuffin both could coexist in game.

For an average dude is harder to pass out due to just plain physical effort since you are barely ever putting your body at that level of performance. When we get pumped up by adrenaline we can over-perform ourselves in a great deal, but over-doing it would also lead to passing out... eventually!

Lack of sleep can for sure lead to this as well. On this front I particularly liked the suggestion about adding allucinations (door banging sounds or screams) when there is nothing happen :)

Its just the maths behind the equation what makes this a tricky subject :)

Nice idea! Though, I think both should have a chance to cause survivors to pass out and just compound one another as they progress, and that being more sleepy should also reduce recovery from exhaustion if it doesn't already.

Yeah, I like this. I still like my suggestion better, not that yours isn't awesome. But this is amazing too and I would definitely settle for it. 

On this front I particularly liked the suggestion about adding allucinations (door banging sounds or screams) when there is nothing happen :)

Its just the maths behind the equation what makes this a tricky subject :)

Yeah, I really loved the idea behind hallucinations. Thanks for your comment. 

It's easily possible to pass out from heavy sleep deprivation; I've done so. Your body just can't stay awake indefinitely. I haven't attempted to do strenuous physical activity like running down a street whilst sleep deprived. I imagine doing so would probably lead to your falling over and injuring yourself, then passing out.

The game doesn't model fatigue anywhere near perfectly though, there are still a lot of things in the game that increase tiredness where they should increase exertion. Tiredness should increase at a relatively constant rate through a character's waking hours. You shouldn't feel like a nap every time you do a bit of digging in your garden.

It's easily possible to pass out from heavy sleep deprivation; I've done so. Your body just can't stay awake indefinitely. I haven't attempted to do strenuous physical activity like running down a street whilst sleep deprived. I imagine doing so would probably lead to your falling over and injuring yourself, then passing out.

The game doesn't model fatigue anywhere near perfectly though, there are still a lot of things in the game that increase tiredness where they should increase exertion. Tiredness should increase at a relatively constant rate through a character's waking hours. You shouldn't feel like a nap every time you do a bit of digging in your garden.

I agree with you. That last bit especially 

Side note  How the hell did you get that nickname? lol