zed distraction gimmicks and items

psykikk

suggestion excatly like the thread title.

I know it probably gets suggested daily, but I havent seen it in the commmonly suggested thread.

(or didnt look closely)

-alarm clocks (electronical (with batterie) and mechanical

-windchimes

-walkie talkies (make use of batteries again)

-firecrackers

-toy-robots 

-throwing a glass bottle that breaks and makes noise...

basically anything that can be used to distract zeds to walk into a desired direction and away from the player (or towards the enemies)

shouldnt be so hard to implement, no ??

(well for devs or modders anyways)

Throwing would be pretty neat.

I have a couple ideas of how throwing could be accomplished.

Pretty much just a dotted-line arch that would indicate where a thrown object is going (could be utilized with the charging animation?)

that would be effing awesome.

also it might be worth considering implementing a stats system. because if you walk around all day, hve nothing to do except sneaking, doing carpentry and such your skills and stats will change.

i like the idea of being able to change and adapt, thus changing physical attributes and such.

i mean people work out extensively when i jail. will smith works out in "i am legend".

wouldn´t you work out and practice / train when yourvery life could depend on whether you are able to pull yourself up a ledge one more time ? 

I know I would.

thats why I am for

-stats system

-workout equipment (weights, jumprope)

etc.

and yeah: noisemakers

So let's try to categorize these:

by timing: instant, delayed, random

by trigger: manual, trap, remote

by duration: instant, prolonged, permanent (periodic)

by action: noise, light, visible fake target (possibly living but not you)

by deployment: fixed, thrown, moving

Question 1 - will the devs agree to any multi use items?

Cuz if yes - just a remote activated engine or a rope pullable scarecrow with tin cans would do it.

If no - it's likely thrown rubber ducks (with squeakers), firecrackers with long fuse for delayed deployment and maybe bows with electronic/mechanic noisemakers for top skilled guys. (cuz distance matters for any instant trigger.

Also I'd suggest a nice timed noisemaker. Robbing any pharmacy should get any average Joe several hundreds of glass injection ampules. Ampule + candle = set noisemaker, which will make a very loud sound (louder than some 9mm gunshots) approx 1-2 minutes after the ignition. Also the candle gets auto-extinguished, which is a reusable plus. Use is simple - you place a couple beforehand within loud noise range of the target but outside of quiet noise and smell ranges. For example a warehouse, forming a triangle. Activate number one and go to number two. When there's boom 1 you activate 2 and go to warehouse out of LoS from way to point 1, get in and shut the doors. Possibly someone will be tailing you and start banging the door, but that's when the boom 2 goes off, distracting absolutely most of stuff chasing you for long enough to check the stock. Or you could just set a few 2-5 point roads away from your shelter - "go west, where the skies are blue.." ©

And as for old posts on the subject - some are moldy already )

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10256-zombie-detection-and-escalation-minigames/