Corpses littering the city, totaled cars, smashed windows.

Fortport

These would be marvelous things for setting the mood, and also giving the zombies something to do; eat corpses! It would make you feel like you jump into an apocalypse, not a world that suddenly had all human life stripped away, and zombies thrown in. I want to walk outside, take a deep breath in.. smell the ashes, see some zombies munching on corpses, distracted.. sneak past 'em while stepping over bodies to check crashed cars for loot.

Some windows could already be smashed, just a few, besides the ones NPCs break. More garbage could be littering the floors of buildings and stores, to give that looted/run down/closed look. Everything looks like it's still open and ready to go, even with erosion.

Maybe over time, alongside erosion, buildings could get dirtier or start missing floor tiles. Worn out walls, etc.

Agreed. Someone in another thread said that the overall feel of a freshly generated world in PZ was that of someone having waved a wand and transformed all of the people into zombies. There are some concessions to the sort of carnage you'd expect implemented in the game, but no barricaded houses, no signs of resistance or struggle, few corpses not of the player's own making, etc.

Agreed. Someone in another thread said that the overall feel of a freshly generated world in PZ was that of someone having waved a wand and transformed all of the people into zombies. There are some concessions to the sort of carnage you'd expect implemented in the game, but no barricaded houses, no signs of resistance or struggle, few corpses not of the player's own making, etc.

Literally no corpses. No litter, rubble, or anything implying a catastrophy. Everything looks just fine outside, save for the zombies. It makes all the screaming you hear senseless.

Heck, why not go the extra mile, and make certain places already barricaded and once inhabited by a survivor in the past? Give you just a tiny, tiny bit of loot you're looking for that survivors generally look for, that's super-rare and and hard to find elsewhere to the point of silliness.

Like gas tanks for burning zombies' bodies. Ammunition. Shotguns and rifles. Not that these should be everywhere, but in some places it would add atmosphere and make you think.. "hey, someone used to live here. I wonder what happened to them."

This could also lead up to stuff like diaries and etc.

More like a Resident Evil 1/2 Feel to the city? 

These would be marvelous things for setting the mood, and also giving the zombies something to do; eat corpses! It would make you feel like you jump into an apocalypse, not a world that suddenly had all human life stripped away, and zombies thrown in. I want to walk outside, take a deep breath in.. smell the ashes, see some zombies munching on corpses, distracted.. sneak past 'em while stepping over bodies to check crashed cars for loot.

Some windows could already be smashed, just a few, besides the ones NPCs break. More garbage could be littering the floors of buildings and stores, to give that looted/run down/closed look. Everything looks like it's still open and ready to go, even with erosion.

Maybe over time, alongside erosion, buildings could get dirtier or start missing floor tiles. Worn out walls, etc.

I just had a flashback to the good ole' Resident Evil 1/2/Nemesis Days.

give it time, they will be bringing in a bunch more world filler stuff. but the NPC's, map expansion, new builds and other things are currently higher on the To Do list. they have already said that they will not be adding broken down cars until all cars are ready. (imagine if they did, how many people would come here asking why there was not a single working car in the game.)

still PLENTY of stuff to come in the game, just have faith in the Dev Team. they want this to be a Killer game too, probably more than you do since this is their baby.

I would like to be able to loot the cars, seems like another nice place to find water when wandering the roads.

give it time, they will be bringing in a bunch more world filler stuff. but the NPC's, map expansion, new builds and other things are currently higher on the To Do list. they have already said that they will not be adding broken down cars until all cars are ready. (imagine if they did, how many people would come here asking why there was not a single working car in the game.)

still PLENTY of stuff to come in the game, just have faith in the Dev Team. they want this to be a Killer game too, probably more than you do since this is their baby.

Well, that's all probably true.. but where the game is now, adding all these things prior to getting running cars in wouldn't exactly hurt anything. It's bringing the game up to speed, bit by bit, until it's fully functioning.

Adding cars in, and then decorations everywhere might take up more time to do than the other way. But that doesn't exactly make it the better choice. I would be pleased either way. Uninhabited buildings falling apart, corpses, and already-broken windows could technically be done now, without the totaled vehicles.

As it stands, though, this is just an innocent suggestion. Not a "do this, do that!" So I'm happy just with getting feedback on it, and if the devs tell me their opinions I'm satisfied.

I am all for this idea but lets wait until cars are actually in game

Again, like I said, you can add everything but the cars. Cars aren't the main suggestion, just wreckage, wear, and corpses.

right. so what would be littered in the streets? like plastic bags and such or could you find things like survivors gun surrounded by a horde or canned food outside of a market?

I am all for this idea but lets wait until cars are actually in game

Again, like I said, you can add everything but the cars. Cars aren't the main suggestion, just wreckage, wear, and corpses.

right. so what would be littered in the streets? like plastic bags and such or could you find things like survivors gun surrounded by a horde or canned food outside of a market?

The odd, half-eaten corpse laying on the ground.. or a deformed body being munched on by a couple undead. Plastic bags, dried blood.. shattered glass, bodies piled up against the walls, possibly. Shopping carts in parking lots. Y'know a lot of those trash-cans? Turn those over on their side, with their contents spilled out on the sidewalk. Crows pecking on the bodies the zombies aren't messing with currently, on and on. All sorts of things could be added.

Something that tells the player that this isn't a normal town; it's been ravaged by the disease, and that can be told not only from worn out, broken down buildings.. but other signals illustrating the bleakness of the situation. Throughout the streets and interiors. You could walk into a house and find some guy who hung himself. Office building with dead people seated in chairs, head thrown back with a torn out throat, or on the desk.. head bashed in. Files could be scattered all over the floor with papers and spilled coffee on them. Disturbing, violent scenes should be everywhere.

The possibilities are endless.

Huh ok then. So more scenic. I like it but then i think many would want to be able to clean it up.

Easy-peasy! Just drag their body like you do zombies, and remove them. Blood a bother? Bleach it up. Sweep the garbage off the floor, similar to removing tall grass from the ground. The severity of it could also depend on how much time has passed, too.

Huh ok then. So more scenic. I like it but then i think many would want to be able to clean it up.

Easy-peasy! Just drag their body like you do zombies, and remove them. Blood a bother? Bleach it up. Sweep the garbage off the floor, similar to removing tall grass from the ground. The severity of it could also depend on how much time has passed, too.

And the car that is rolled onto your lawn or that carpet stain on the carpet. (The horror!)

And the car that is rolled onto your lawn or that carpet stain on the carpet. (The horror!)

It's inevitable that some things won't be able to be moved. But a car in your lawn? Might make more sense if it was in the back, and rusted over a bit. Old. I'unno, something. The world's too perfect and pretty, in my opinion. I don't feel like there's anything wrong, other than the zombies stumbling around.

The disease is fueled on by violence. They have to bite someone to infect, and they feast on the living. My suggestion is that we give some scenery sure, but have it be generated in a way similar to erosion. Again with the worn down buildings, missing floor tiles, and possibly (rarely) blinking lights. Dirty windows, garbage, dead bodies, things that are broken and twisted, gruesome scenes. Of course you can fix these if you want to inhabit the place, but only to an extent that makes sense and is feasible. The towns should look different depending on how many months has passed since the start.

It's inevitable that some things won't be able to be moved. But a car in your lawn? Might make more sense if it was in the back, and rusted over a bit. Old. I'unno, something. The world's too perfect and pretty, in my opinion. I don't feel like there's anything wrong, other than the zombies stumbling around.

*Sees zombies on lawn and car crashed outside on fire*

just another Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats something I imagine all the time I stroll around in PZ.

And to be honest, that imagining it myself makes it way more intense than "seeing it for real".

One of the reasons I like the look of the game so much, it has enough detail but still leaves enough open to your imagination.

Still a +1 for the general idea and growing devastation.

I remember an old discussion about this and there was a good point that this is already happening to some degree if you just live long enough. Also with NPCs things like burnt houses, broken/barricaded windows, corpses around town and blood splatters will become a thing once they play out in the meta game. I'm not sure if they should be pregenerated. It could be a nice idea, but if we can get the same result just by playing the game and see the devastation play out, I don't think it's necessarily worth the dev time.

Also wrecked cars along with working ones are planned.

Not only that, but Mash does add blood, grime, broken windows/doors .etc while doing the mapping.

Honestly, how appropriate these suggestions are going to be depends on what the game's setting will eventually become. If it's shortly after quarantine has been set, and a large part of the area is evacuated, then it might not make much sense to have it look like Fallout 3, yeah?

Need more input. :P