[WIP] P-38 Can Opener and Empty Cans V1.2

Nelolis

RfDmp6B.png

The P-38 is a can opener that was developed in 1942 and issued in the canned field rations of the United States Armed Forces from World War II to the 1980s. The P-38 is sold around the world to be used by hikers and campers.

V1.1 Added Empty cans

V1.2 Empty cans have had their weight reduced to be better balanced with vanella containers.

The P-38 has a very low chance to be found in sheds, crates, metal shelves, and on zombies.

- Pop can, tuna cans, dogfood can, soup can, and bean cans are now added to your inventory after useing the orgianl item.

- Open cans of tuna, and beans now spawn in fridges, and on kitchen counters and at spiffos.

- Pop cans now spawn in fridges, kitchen counters, and the shevles of fossoil, grocey, and zippee´s.

- Empty cans now spawn in trash bins.

- Pop cans and tuna cans hold one unit of water, large cans hold three units of water.

Download:  http://pz-mods.net/weapons-items/P38CanOpener/

Why did I make it? Because when I was a boy my father told me that I should always carry one and gave me his from the army. I still carry it with me to this day. And I liked the idea of making one for PZ and picked it for my first bit of modding.

but there's already a can opener D: this is more of a mod for you but really im sorry but i don't really have a reason to use is it is it special in anyway?

I would suggest to make it a durable weapon, a very weak damaging short range, but with the knifes jaw stag tag.. That would make it very useful.

Good idea for a can opener!

The P-38 is so bloody tiny it'd be even less practical as a weapon than pens and such... More durable though.

Incidentally can openers of this type are the norm over here, just larger fixed-blade ones which are much more practical to use than the P-38. I don't think I've ever seen the rotary disc type opener in stores.

but there's already a can opener D: this is more of a mod for you but really im sorry but i don't really have a reason to use it is it special in anyway?

Yes there is already a can opener in the game. But the reason to use this one is its size; it was made to go on dogtags. It could easily go around your neck on a leather thong, shoe laces, a bit of string, or you can carry around the large clunky normal can opener. I did make  it for myself but wanted to make it available for everyone.

How about a mod that adds something like a multi-purpose knife?

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Champion-Plus-Pock

It will act as several things : Knife (For jaw stabbing), can opener, bobby Pin (Lockpicking mod), screwdriver (for campfire materials), flashlight (low radius)

IMO finding something like this shouldn't be a real pain in the ass as I can find one in any tool-specific store, and in the end it will be a very very useful tool for any survivalist.

Hey whats the zombie apocalypse with out eating and drinking from thoes old tin cans?

But I do think i need to redo the weight. A Mugs weight empty is 0.1, 0.2 with water, holding 1 water unit and a staggering ammount of 1 with coffee or tea (sweetened with lead i guess). A bowl has 0.5 empty weight, full 1.2 and holds 2 water units. A waterbottle and popbottle has an empty weight of 0.1 and a full weight of 0.8 and holds 10 water units. The Kettle is probly the best with a empty weight of 1 full weight of 0.3. A Pot is 1 empty 3 full and holds 25 water units. The bucket empty weights 1, full 4, and has 32 water units.

I was thinking of changing the weight of my cants to Pop/tuna cans too 0.05 empty 0.15 full, and 1 water unit. Tin cans to .1 empty, .2 full with 2 water units. Right now they are at Pop/tuna 0.1 empty, 0.2 full, and 1 water unit.Tin cans 0.2 empty and 0.5 full, and 2 water units.

but there's already a can opener D: this is more of a mod for you but really im sorry but i don't really have a reason to use it is it special in anyway?

Yes there is already a can opener in the game. But the reason to use this one is its size; it was made to go on dogtags. It could easily go around your neck on a leather thong, shoe laces, a bit of string, or you can carry around the large clunky normal can opener. I did make  it for myself but wanted to make it available for everyone.

if its lighter or can even make it weight 0 by wearing it is ok with me i would use it then

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome mod!

I've loved the P-38 since getting one as a kid... nowadays, I carry a "FRED" (Aussie version of the P-38, but with a bottle opener and small spoon built in) all the time.

Even with all my fancy pocket knife can openers, I still prefer the P-38/P-51/FRED style openers for opening tins in an emergency... much faster/easier, IMO. Although ringpull cans are all but making can openers as a whole extinct, at least here in Australia.

I did laugh at the mental image of trying to kill a zombie with a P-38. You'd have better chances using the newspaper!

I also didn't notice the empty tin can part of this mod until now, and look forward to trying it... empty tins should be in the vanilla game, IMO. They're just so "post apocalypse"!

(incidentally, just the other day I was cursing PZ because I was over carry weight and my can opener was the thing I had to drop... if only I'd had a P-38!)

• 4 weeks later...