School Sucks!-do you agree?

Avenger

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I don't know why the west fetishize Japan so much, its fun if you're there for a trip but living there is an entirely different beast.

It ain't an anime adventure.

Pretty rare to see anything portray Japan as backwards. It's either a place of noble tradition, kinky anime women, or high technology in most forms of media.

Though there are quite a few Japanese films set there that have a different take on it . . .

(All hail Ghost in the Shell. At least the movies. Not a big fan of the series.)

As a teacher, I love school but I also see downsides to it. 8 hours a day is way too long and not conducive to learning. School should be more about developing and fostering talent, broadening student's horizons, and making students more universal(not just doing what you want to do). I hate the way public schools are run in the sense that students are seen as potential dollar signs and not individuals. That's what we get for being part of the US of A where everything is viewed through the lens of a capitalist and money is always right.

So in short, school is a great idea, but it isn't always executed well.

In the UK State Schooling generally starts at 830 and finishes at 4ish. There is generally a half hour break and a 1 hour lunch break with 1 hour given over to registration at the beginning and end of each day. This means that there is 5 hours given to actual education usually split into 1 hour chunks. I remember there being 2 lessons of physical education a week.

With private schools it depends from school to school but the school I was at (before my parents split up and condemned me to a life of minimum wage drudgery) started at 8 and finished at 6. Lessons were shorter at 45 minutes each and forcing the teachers to condense more into a shorter time which I think paradoxically worked better as it suited kids short attention spans. The real kicker though was that there were 4 lots of PE each at 2 hours length each week. Oh and we did a half day on Saturdays too. In short kids at private schools have shorter breaks, more teaching and FAAAAR more physical education.

In short if you can afford to send your kids to private education then absolutely do so. I've got no problem with state education but if you want to keep up with private education then it means that parents will need to spend at least 2 hours a day with their kids teaching them. 

If I was Dictator of England then I'd make the 2nd education regime mandatory throughout England. Oh and institute proper college leaving work programs and apprenticeship schemes like the Germans and Japanese do. There is a reason why they have the best work-forces in the world and its because industry and education work hand in hand to train kids to be good, educated workers.

I love the mono no ki noodle bar in my town.

Are you implying that since you like a restaurant you're going to assimilate into a completely different culture? What?

Are you telling me that has never happened to you?

God, I can't remember how many times I've eaten a Chinese and found myself doing uh.. Chinese stuff? Alright, I don't know all that much about the Chinese culture..

God, I can't remember how many times I've eaten a Chinese...

How many Chinese have you eaten?

A mother, three children, two soldiers, the ancient remains of an empero- Oh, you mean take-aways?

I dunno, quite a few?

People need to be more lovely in this thread.

All in the name of humor, don't be so serious - we wouldn't want to put a smile on that face now would we?

(My movie references recently have been absolute bombshells!)

School will never be the worst part of your life. Everything is easy and straight-forward. And if you do bad at it you will suffer all your life with those mistakes. Best to suck it up, learn to like it, tackle it with a good mentality and learn to let the irritation and boredom of it wash over you. Because trust me, you don't know boredom until you are working a dead-end job under an asshole who somehow thinks paying you a week or three late is *fine*.